Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah I go up to snowboard in Tahoe every year too. I haven't taken my model 3 yet, but if you're like me and are selective about powder days, then you'll likely only drive through inclement snow weather (where caltrans require chains on every car) twice or thrice a season at the most.

For the rest of the time, you'll be fine with all-seasons. Grand Touring tires are definitely capable in the snow. You could even look at Vredestein Quatrac Pro, which is a grand touring all season that's even rated as snow tires (can't remember the official stamp it's referred to).

Can't confidently say how much your range will be affected with 9.5" wheels, but based on what I researched, tread width (the part of the tire that makes contact with the road) and the type of compound (grippy versus LRR) are the biggest factors that affect range.
That makes sense, thanks for all your insight very helpful! I think I've made up my mind and will go for the DWS06 plus in 245/40/19, seems like a good happy medium for me. I will post an update once I get my wheels wrapped and on my car.

Reactions: P-Lo801
2778119F-0837-463C-B741-48AF846DFE4E.jpeg
911E37B0-0B6B-439D-B82E-E7511207B8DC.jpeg
DD0E3D2D-5DAA-4CC7-BA74-F6951C010DC7.jpeg
I put on TSportline 18” TST wheels on my P3D+ and originally went with Pilot Sport All Season 4 tires in OE 235/45R18, but they weren’t really much more efficient than the PS4S or Conti DWS06 I had previously. So, I went back to Discount Tire, had a set of OEM T1-spec MXM4 installed and holy crap… my efficiency over the past 144.4 miles has dropped from lifetime average of 291wh/mi to only 231wh/mi. Nothing has changed in those miles. The tires make such a huge difference to the efficiency. Whereas before I would constantly be applying accelerator to maintain speed on flat or gently downward sloping roads, with the MXM4 the car just rolls on coasting. It’s noticeable from the driver seat. I know there’s a few folks on here that loudly preach about why you should never buy anything other than UHP tires like the PS4S or AS4 for the claimed shorter stopping distances they offer, but the MXM4 is not some horrendous tire. If it wears out quickly I’ll just get Michelin to pay for warranty replacement. 85% of my miles are interstate driving. I keep my adaptive cruise on the longest following distance, I always preemptively slow down when I see cars stopping up ahead and I pay attention. I also don’t think they’re all that horrible in terms of handling. I can still take exit ramps at high speed and since I don’t track my car, the occasional twisty road is about the hardest driving this thing sees. I drove in super heavy rain and they cut right through the rain like the AS4 or PS4S did before. Until we get an EV specific UHP all season that doesn’t immediately reduce range 10-20%, I personally think the MXM4 meets all of my needs. I also like how grit doesn’t stick to it and I haven’t heard stuff getting pelted against the side of my car

Are there any settings I need to change (like wheel configuration or anything else) if I am moving from OEM 20x8.5 to 19x9.5 wheels? Overall diameter of wheel/tire is slightly increasing from 26.5 to 26.7.
I would probably change the wheel config to the 20” upgrade wheels from the track pack. They come with 245-width tires which should be about the same difference you’re going to experience. Just prepare for the inevitable range drop from more tread. What tire are you fitting?

Reactions: SirLaz
I would probably change the wheel config to the 20” upgrade wheels from the track pack. They come with 245-width tires which should be about the same difference you’re going to experience. Just prepare for the inevitable range drop from more tread. What tire are you fitting?
I went with DWS06 plus in 245/40/19. So it's a bit of a stretch, just got them mounted will post some pics later. But actually these tires have a thinner tread width than my previous PS4s (8.8" vs 8.3") and they are all season vs summer so I'm expecting same range or even a slight improvement. Just went for a short drive and just from that I don't think I will see any decrease in range.

I went with DWS06 plus in 245/40/19. So it's a bit of a stretch, just got them mounted will post some pics later. But actually these tires have a thinner tread width than my previous PS4s (8.8" vs 8.3") and they are all season vs summer so I'm expecting same range or even a slight improvement. Just went for a short drive and just from that I don't think I will see any decrease in range.
When my OE PS4S wore out, I went from 235/35R20 PS4S to 245/35R20 DWS06 and the low speed consumption improved ever so slightly (maybe 2-4wh/mi) but high speed was actually worse than before. I’m guessing your 19x9.5 wheels weigh more than before and are also an extra inch wide adding to drag. I wouldn’t be surprised if the efficiency still takes a bit of a drop. I also never liked the DWS06. They had a constant vibration that never went away no matter how many times the wheels were balanced. It seems to be a common issue with that tire. If you end up not liking the DWS06, I have heard the P Zero All Season is decent and more efficient than DWS but also less expensive. At least in 18” size.

Reactions: SirLaz
What do you think of the stretch now that you have them compared to what you saw in photos?

When my OE PS4S wore out, I went from 235/35R20 PS4S to 245/35R20 DWS06 and the low speed consumption improved ever so slightly (maybe 2-4wh/mi) but high speed was actually worse than before. I’m guessing your 19x9.5 wheels weigh more than before and are also an extra inch wide adding to drag. I wouldn’t be surprised if the efficiency still takes a bit of a drop. I also never liked the DWS06. They had a constant vibration that never went away no matter how many times the wheels were balanced. It seems to be a common issue with that tire. If you end up not liking the DWS06, I have heard the P Zero All Season is decent and more efficient than DWS but also less expensive. At least in 18” size.
That's interesting. Yea it's too early to tell for me right now, I just did a 20 mile drive at various speeds and was pretty aggressive on driving seeing what the tires can do. I got a lower wh/mi than I would have with my old set up driving more conservatively, but I can see the higher speed consumption being more. These wheels are actually 6lbs lighter than stock since they are fully forged. So I am saving about 7lbs per corner with this setup, but as I have read weight is less of a factor on range. I do think the added drag of the wheel being wider might affect range too. I will post an update once I have more miles on them, curious as I drive from SoCal to norcal quite a bit and average around 80mph so interested to see what my efficiency on that trip will be.

Thanks @MODEL+ for hooking me up with a new set of shoes!

Titan 7 T-S5 19x9.5 in Machine Black. Tires are Continental DWS06 Plus 245/40/19

View attachment 676454
View attachment 676456

Next mod is coilovers!
Mmmm the Titan 7s looks excellent with your satin wrap!

I don't think the stretch is bad at all.
In the future, you can run 265 square if you wanted to.

Thanks again for the opportunity to deliver these to you! 🤝

Danny

• Love
Reactions: P-Lo801 and SirLaz
It was a tad more than I expected, but I can live with it. The look isn't bad, I guess I would just like a bit more protection for the wheel face. Might get wider tires in the future but for now I am happy. Here are some photos
View attachment 676458
View attachment 676459
View attachment 676460
View attachment 676461
You actually got the new DWS06 Plus. Haven’t had any experience with them to know if they’re actually an improvement vs. old version or not. Where were your tires made? The 245/35R20 were made in Romania…

You actually got the new DWS06 Plus. Haven’t had any experience with them to know if they’re actually an improvement vs. old version or not. Where were your tires made? The 245/35R20 were made in Romania…
I am unsure where they were made, any idea on how to check? But yea, so far I like them. Road noise seems the same or slightly better and definitely a bit more comfortable than the 235/35/20 on rougher roads. The tire noise never bothered me as much as the wind noise I get from my driver side, I listen to my music pretty loud anyways so doesn't bother me too much as I have gotten used to it lol. I do notice turning is a bit heavier than my old tires and not as sticky, but for my driving perfectly fine. Still waiting to see what efficiency is like, sitting at 284 wh/mi with 80 miles on them, a mix of highway and city driving. My old setup was getting me about 300 wh/mi.

Alrighty y'all... don't forget to make sure your ABS wire clears! I went with wider wheels and tires, but neglected to check clearance. It started with TPMS fault warnings, then it finally exploded into disabled ABS, power steering, etc.

this happened to me after I installed MPP upper control arm and forgot to tie them backwards...