TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

MASTER THREAD: all Smart Summon-related posts go here, please

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by victorlukito, Sep 28, 2019.

?

Will NHTSA force Tesla to change or disable Smart Summon?

1. No, Tesla will not be required to do anything

120 vote(s)
    63.2%
  2. Yes, NHTSA will tell Tesla to temporarily disable Smart Summon until it is more reliable

19 vote(s)
    10.0%
  3. Yes, NHTSA will tell Tesla to scale back Smart Summon (ie. reduce radius to 100ft)

12 vote(s)
    6.3%
  4. I live in a country where Smart Summon is not available

12 vote(s)
    6.3%
  5. Smart Summon is not ready for public use and shouldn’t have been released this early

27 vote(s)
    14.2%
  1. victorlukito

victorlukito Member

As soon as I received the update yesterday morning I took it for a spin. I had to get used to the new line markings and understand what they mean. I loved the new feature where it puts a target box where you’re lane changing into. Pretty slick. I also did notice that it EAP accelerated quicker although I’m on chill driving mode. I’m ok with that as I always tap the gas to keep up.

What I couldn’t wait to use, and test in real world condition is the enhanced summon. I was blown away! I did 5 tests in 3 different parking lots at a golf course and a shopping center. There were other cars and people around. The M3 maneuvered appropriately and without too much hesitation. The car came to me or at least close enough where it’s actually practical 5 out of 5 times! Then I tried it at home and it came out of my garage and to the end of my cul de sac but stopped short of the public road. Of course it didn’t work when I showing it to my family, but 6 of 7 times isn’t so bad.

Here is the kicker. Last night I took my family to dinner. I parked about halfway down their private lot. The car pulled out and came straight to my location impressing my little ones and the wifey. There were people walking to their cars but were not on its path. The M3 came to us in seconds. Much faster then if my wife drove it.

I must say that there were some close calls during these tests. One car backed out just after mine and it nearly kissed back bumpers. It would have been the lady’s fault but I won’t know how to explain in court when I’m like 120 feet away. But if there aren’t many cars and people around, I’ll use this feature as advertised.

• Like x 4
    • Informative x 2
  2. superbaka

superbaka Member

Well, this was my first try.. it came a few inches from the other car with no sign of stopping, and the front wheels were still turned. The good news is that it stops instantly when you let go.

Also confused why it needed to make a 3-point turn.

v32.11

• Disagree x 2
    • Funny x 2
    • Informative x 1
  3. Fernand

Fernand Member

#3 Fernand, Sep 29, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2019
    We'll never know what WOULD have happened.

They did push out a 2019.32.11 update pronto.

I just tried it a few times and my choice moment
    was when a guy in a rap-shaking SUV looked up
    from his phone, freaked as he saw the car driving
    down the lane at about 5MPH with nobody at the
    wheel, backed his ride up and got the *uck out of there.

I'm one floor down from the driveway at home.
    Wonder if it would try to take the stairs to come to me ;-)

• Funny x 8
    • Like x 1
  4. superbaka

superbaka Member

I was just wondering if the summon tolerance settings apply to Smart Summon as well. Mine are set to the smallest tolerance possible.

I've never had a problem with regular summon hitting anything, but this thing moves FAST!

• Like x 1
  5. Fernand

Fernand Member

That's a good point. Maybe set it wide?

6. TheDom

TheDom Member

That's a good point. So far my experience is that it is crazy skittish about pedestrians, and couldn't care less about cars driving perpendicular to it's direction of travel.

7. happyzod

happyzod Member

Good point! Will set it to max possible distance.

8. TKGA

TKGA Member

I tried Smart Summon - it was smart enough to navigate in the correct path away from me first, made 2 right turns, and came down the next lane over to me, which was the correct direction of travel. Incredible.

I tried it again in a smaller parking lot, it moved towards a car in front while making a 3-point turn and appeared to speed up toward the parked car - I didn't risk it and took my finger off the button - I was afraid it would ram the car. Unclear if it would have or not.

Even if it ends up just being a parlor trick for me, it really is incredible.

• Like x 2
  9. SOULPEDL

SOULPEDL Active Member

I've stopped it many times. It always looks closer than it is.

• Like x 1
  10. SanDiegoM3

SanDiegoM3 Member

Okay, I just watched the Saints Cowboys game. I parked very from the entrance like normal at BWW. I set my target, walked to the bottom of the parking aisle to be in range, and my car literally drove to me fast as I would’ve drove. This is crazy.

I probably won’t use it everyday, but the fact that it just did that blows my mind.

Enjoy it everyone!!!

• Like x 5
  11. N.Y.R.

N.Y.R. Member

What’s next for me would be Full Self Driving but I bet that won’t be out until this time next year.

• Like x 1
  12. LM-5

LM-5 Member

“Smart Park” seems like the obvious next step.

• Like x 6
  13. jebinc

jebinc M3 LR AWD w/FSD and white premium interior

What’s next? I’m hoping for a SS that’s more stable, reliable, repeatable and usable when you need it most.

• Like x 5
  14. justsomeguy

justsomeguy Member

Probably nothing major for a while. I'm guessing incremental increases in AP functionality. Smarter accel/decel, Traffic control device recognition like lights, stop/speed limit signs, construction cones, speed bumps, etc

• Like x 1
  15. kaffine

kaffine Member

The ability for it to talk to my phone directly without going through Tesla so that it works in places with poor cell service.

• Like x 1
  16. HelloJohnny

HelloJohnny Member

100% Agree. It was also stated for "Enhanced Autopilot" feature that your Tesla would drop you off and find it's own parking.
    This sounds like the next big feature once they perfect Smart Summon and it's edge cases.

• Like x 1
  17. Garlan Garner

Garlan Garner Supporting Member

Please. Here we go.

Please explain the failure….. Accident?

Just don't use it if you don't like it.

Geesshhhh...

• Like x 4
    • Disagree x 4
    • Love x 1
  18. M109Rider

M109Rider Member

OMG. And the drama begins.
    So this is your very first try. You decided to video your first try. It didn’t work or you got freaked out and stopped.
    Did you try again ?

If I were you, I would not use this feature. It’s seems to freak you out. That’s my advice.

• Love x 6
    • Disagree x 3
    • Like x 1
  19. LakeWorthB

LakeWorthB Member

I think they need to make autopark smarter first, like be able to to park using lines, not needing to be between 2 cars, etc.

• Like x 2
    • Informative x 1
  20. derotam

derotam Member

I'm guessing you left early and there wasn't a lot of traffic when you did the summon? :)