Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MASTER THREAD: all Smart Summon-related posts go here

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We'll never know what WOULD have happened.

They did push out a 2019.32.11 update pronto.

I just tried it a few times and my choice moment
was when a guy in a rap-shaking SUV looked up
from his phone, freaked as he saw the car driving
down the lane at about 5MPH with nobody at the
wheel, backed his ride up and got the *uck out of there.

I'm one floor down from the driveway at home.
Wonder if it would try to take the stairs to come to me ;-)

Last edited:
I tried Smart Summon - it was smart enough to navigate in the correct path away from me first, made 2 right turns, and came down the next lane over to me, which was the correct direction of travel. Incredible.

I tried it again in a smaller parking lot, it moved towards a car in front while making a 3-point turn and appeared to speed up toward the parked car - I didn't risk it and took my finger off the button - I was afraid it would ram the car. Unclear if it would have or not.

Even if it ends up just being a parlor trick for me, it really is incredible.

I don’t use this feature because it’s takes longer for the car to come to me than just walking to the car. The range is so short because you need line of sight. If you can see your car than walk the F over. Stop holding up traffic and be a douche.

This will make people around your car hate Teslas. Already enough haters so please drive nice around ICE vehicles. People don’t have patience for this.

Okay, I just watched the Saints Cowboys game. I parked very from the entrance like normal at BWW. I set my target, walked to the bottom of the parking aisle to be in range, and my car literally drove to me fast as I would’ve drove. This is crazy.

I probably won’t use it everyday, but the fact that it just did that blows my mind.

Enjoy it everyone!!!

I'm guessing you left early and there wasn't a lot of traffic when you did the summon? :)

Reactions: ZappCatt
OMG. And the drama begins.
So this is your very first try. You decided to video your first try. It didn’t work or you got freaked out and stopped.
Did you try again ?

If I were you, I would not use this feature. It’s seems to freak you out. That’s my advice.
In my opinion, he did the prudent thing by stopping the Smart Summon. It appears as though his Model 3 was close to hitting the parked car. It was wise to stop the Summon and avoid potential liability for damaging the other car.

I’d also be freaked out if my car was about to cause property damage (and damage itself). Most contentious owners would be.

OP, next time, experiment with a partner at the destination point. Stay near the Model 3 with your phone so you can better judge proximity to other cars and obstacles. That way, you will better know if you need to stop the process or if you can allow it to proceed.

Reactions: C141medic and bijan
I have tried several times. Drove itself into a ditch on one attempt. And it drives away from me and doesn’t turn to come back on the other attempts. Looking at the screen on my phone it appears the car wants to drive all the way around the building to get to me. That would make it pretty impossible for me to keep it in my line of site as well as take several minutes at least. In about 10 total attempts in 3 different parking lots, it has yet to drive to me. It came close once but stopped in the middle of the lane (aisle) and would go further. Had there actually been traffic in the lot it would have blocked cars in both directions. It made no attempt to pull up toward me at the curb about 30 feet away. It just stopped there. And no, I didn’t not take my finger off the button on my phone. anyone else having these issues?

I have tried several times. Drove itself into a ditch on one attempt. And it drives away from me and doesn’t turn to come back on the other attempts. Looking at the screen on my phone it appears the car wants to drive all the way around the building to get to me. That would make it pretty impossible for me to keep it in my line of site as well as take several minutes at least. In about 10 total attempts in 3 different parking lots, it has yet to drive to me. It came close once but stopped in the middle of the lane (aisle) and would go further. Had there actually been traffic in the lot it would have blocked cars in both directions. It made no attempt to pull up toward me at the curb about 30 feet away. It just stopped there. And no, I didn’t not take my finger off the button on my phone. anyone else having these issues?

You drove it into a ditch...why didn't you stop it?

Other notes... your car will try to go around your GPS bubble as shown in the app, so if the bubble is too big it will try and look for another route.

I legitimately used smart summon this morning. I was parked in the end space in front of my kids' school and came out of the building after a meeting. As I approached the vestibule I could see the car through the windows and could also see that the area between the single parking row and the building was completely empty of vehicles or pedestrians so I summoned the car, setting the target as the front of the building, right in front of the doors.

By the time I exited the building, crossed the sidewalk, and entered the parking lot in front of the building, the car reached its target. It was very cool not needing to walk the entire length of the parking row to get to my car.

So I tried smart summon today, it had some issues with getting location signal accuracy on one try. On another where I was forward parked against a curb it tried to go forward over the curb twice. Is Tesla able to monitor the fails?

I tried it this morning with 2019.32.11. The car tried to do a weird three point turn, and then stopped in the middle of the turn. I had to go get it. This was in an almost empty parking lot. It seems like this feature is no quite at the point where it "almost doesn't suck"

Reactions: alexGS