Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MASTER THREAD: all Smart Summon-related posts go here

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You do realize that this is a large step toward FSD right?

Use case... massive!
Yes, I do realize that i's a slow, imperfect step in the direction of a big (worthwhile) goal that demands lightning-fast responses and near-perfection. That's going to take time, and (I think) a lot of it. I actually doubt there will be many Tesla owners who own "FSD capable" cars today who will still own them when FSD becomes available in more than just a few, tightly-edged conditions (freeways, for example). They'll have moved on to new Teslas, or other cars by then. And FSD buyers today will have helped bring that about when it does happen.
But for me, there is zero value added by "smart summons", and I can only picture a very small handful of use cases (extremely narrow garages, ridiculously tight city parking lots, a disabled driver going shopping, etc) where SS could be a real plus today. But, as with all things Tesla, who knows what will show up next year?
Robin

Oh man, I finally tried smart summon on my Raven X. I was in an empty bank parking lot and it was a complete fail.

My car backed out. Yay!
Started going in the right direction. Yay!

And then turned toward the planter and I had to stop it before it ran into it. Good grief.
oops.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: jebinc and McFlurri
Oh man, I finally tried smart summon on my Raven X. I was in an empty bank parking lot and it was a complete fail.

My car backed out. Yay!
Started going in the right direction. Yay!

And then turned toward the planter and I had to stop it before it ran into it. Good grief.
View attachment 465633
Were you using Come to Me or setting a pin? If a pin did it show going through the median or around?

I'm respecting the "Everything about smart summons here!" demand, despite thinking this could warrant its own thread.

"Things that human drivers would never do" seems to be one of the major complaints about Smart Summon. Stuff like driving on the wrong side of the parking aisle, or the wrong way down a one way diagonal parking lane.

In the past week, I have had NOT ONE parking lot visit that did not include at least one human driver doing one of the things that people who complain about Smart Summon say human drivers don't do.

So is it time to whip out cell phones and tap Teslacam icons to save footage of human beings behaving worse than Smart Summon, so we have our consolidated guide to why people suck too and Smart Summon is fine by comparison.

Unfortunately people are using the summons where they should not it is a beta version Since Ive had it I have used it 4 times and in a empty parking it is not perfect. Lets face it most people are using this to WOW the people Maybe it is a good thing to incurage future Tesla Owner. But what Im afraid of is if there is enough accidents there maybe some regulation and increase in our insurance premium. So please be smart.

Unfortunately people are using the summons where they should not it is a beta version Since Ive had it I have used it 4 times and in a empty parking it is not perfect. Lets face it most people are using this to WOW the people Maybe it is a good thing to incurage future Tesla Owner. But what Im afraid of is if there is enough accidents there maybe some regulation and increase in our insurance premium. So please be smart.

Over 500,000 smart summons and four accidents make the news. There were five human-driver accidents in my apartment parking lot in the past week. Smart Summon is doing just fine.

This Ars Technica article appears to be a reasonable analysis of Smart Summon, its strengths and many weaknesses I watched over 100 Tesla Smart Summon videos—here’s what I learned

Elon can accurately say that Smart Summon has been used hundreds of thousands of times and there have been only a handful of accidents, but that is far from the whole picture. In reality, Smart Summon is often cancelled because the car has too much trouble safely driving to its owner, or it gets confused and stops, blocking other drivers, or it can’t figure out how to navigate a parking lot route and it stops even if there are no cars blocking its way.

Smart Summon will improve over time, just like Auto Pilot has over the past four years. But I’m not planning on using it in its current form.

This Ars Technica article appears to be a reasonable analysis of Smart Summon, its strengths and many weaknesses I watched over 100 Tesla Smart Summon videos—here’s what I learned

Showing the problems. Yay.
Video 1:
In a real life scenario, while the pedestrian has the right of way, outside of a test that guy would be extremely stupid to walk in front of the car like that. A human driver would be looking in the intended direction of travel, which is away from the pedestrian, and would have just as much trouble noticing the idiot traipsing in into the path of travel of a deadly object.

Video #2:
Completely legit. While the summoner should not have summoned it across a high-speed cross-traffic road, the Teslas do not seem to be sufficiently aware of cross-traffic when navigating. Are the B pillar cameras supposed to cover this?

Video #3:
Again, in a real life scenario, what the heck is the idiot walker doing? Showing that video to five random people here and asking what they thought of the situation, four said they thought the pedestrian was about to try to carjack the driver and one said it must be simulating a walker on a cell phone.

"Human drivers follow a variety of rules when they navigate parking lots. They try to stay in travel lanes and not drive through parking spots. If a travel lane is wide enough for two cars, they stay on the right-hand side. If parking spots are all angled in the same direction, they treat the row as a one-way street. Human drivers stop for stop signs and they give right-of-way to oncoming traffic as they exit a row of parking spots."

What magical world is this?! Seriously, I want to move there! I have not taken a single trip to a large parking lot that I didn't observe every single one of these rules broken by human drivers in the short course of walking from my car to the store.

Really, it does the same things bad human drivers do and when a human does it, people laugh or think the person's an idiot, but that's about it.

For any kind of full self driving, I want to know how it'll be handling a long distance view of cross traffic.

• Love
Reactions: APotatoGod
Got my v10 upgrade but did not get smart summon. Was first day reserver of m3 and later bought traffic aware cruise control upgrade. Am I not supposed to get smart summon with v10?
I apologize if this question has already been addressed somewhere on the forum.
TACC is part of "Standard" Autopilot. NoA and SS were part of Enhanced Autopilot when that was available, and are now rolled into the Full Self Driving Capability package.

Also, since I posted this before all the threads got merged, I'm going to reiterate as it may have gotten lost in the shuffle:

I think that I "solved" Smart Summon: I use Come To Me now almost exclusively, and what I do is I plant my thumb on the screen, and start walking toward the car. If everything goes perfectly, I meet the car halfway, hop in, and everything's ducky. If there's a problem and I have to abort, not only am I already closer to the car and better able to judge what's happening, but I'm also already on my way to the car. And I checked: It does save time even with its wibbly-wobbly line of travel.

Last edited:
TACC is part of "Standard" Autopilot. NoA and SS were part of Enhanced Autopilot when that was available, and are now rolled into the Full Self Driving Capability package.

Also, since I posted this before all the threads got merged, I'm going to reiterate as it may have gotten lost in the shuffle:

I think that I "solved" Smart Summon: I use Come To Me now almost exclusively, and what I do is I plant my thumb on the screen, and start walking toward the car. If everything goes perfectly, I meet the car halfway, hop in, and everything's ducky. If there's a problem and I have to abort, not only am I already closer to the car and better able to judge what's happening, but I'm also already on my way to the car. And I checked: It does save time even with its wibbly-wobbly line of travel.
Is "standard autopilot" excluded from getting smart summon with the v10 software upgrade?