Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MASTER THREAD: all Smart Summon-related posts go here

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Please no smart summon in or out of garages. I don't think that is ready just yet. Might see a blend of the two for tight spaces in future, but I find the smart and regular summon seem to work very differently.

Non smart or in this case smarter I have used literally hundreds of times moving stuff in and out of garage for cleaning or just juggling cars I don't feel like getting in and out of. Will pull exactly to the distance in front of canoes. Make sure that whatever is in front of the car isn't a wire mesh or a blanket. Won't recognize those items.

Now I do use smart summon daily and including dropping me off at door. Can't find a spot, but my parking lot at the office is gigantic, and I park it in the back forty sideways. It pauses for pedestrians and signals at areas that it thinks are intersections in parking lots. People point, chuckle. Did quite fine the other day in snow. Followed the same route it always does. Just took a bit longer.

In my case, I drive it in or out of the garage, but my wife is not comfortable to back it out.
In this case summon would be beneficial for us if it would be risk free.
Or in another situation where if it would come to us across a parking lot in slippery icy conditions saving us from a potential fall.

Tried advanced summons today. First thing I noticed was that the car was showing to be in the opposite direction on the phone app, then it completely failed what was supposed to be a very simple summons. Get out of parking spot just by moving forward then make a lt turn and move a few feet. Well looks like the car really thought it was facing the opposite direction as indicated on the phone app since it attempted to reverse first. Then it got all confused so I just went to rescue it.

Mine goes in and out of the garage with summon daily. I had an issue once where it was on the way in and disconnected, when i restarted it was half way in so I don't think it had a good visual on the door surround, the car turned the wheel and likely would have hit if I hadn't stopped it.

I’ve used smart summon many times with pretty good results. Recently tried it while backed into a parking spot that had a 6x6” wooden beam within 24 inches of passenger side of car. Started summon and car made a hard right turn to exit parking space, I stopped it just in time to avoid my Passnger side mirror from being sheared off Y the wood beam lol. Still needs some refinement for sure. It will probably always require common sense and a good deal of monitoring surroundings. Makes sense.

Used SS for the first time this week. Took my 90yr-old mom to an appt at the hospital. As all the handicapped spots were full, I actually parked far away and wheeled her into her appt.

Leaving, because it is cold and windy here in Maine, I thought I'd try SS, and have the car come to the door, so I left my mom in the entry, and went to the curb and summoned the car. Unfortunately, it has to cross some traffic, so I let it stop. Then it has to negotiate a one-way loop to get to the pickup curb. Of course, it goes the wrong way, since it doesn't know it's one-way. A shuttle van driver honked and yelled at me. Still, the car got to the curb and my mom was suitably impressed.

After, I checked openstreetmap.org to see if the parking lot had been mapped correctly, and it had not. So, I updated it, and it now shows the pickup loop as one-way, and I brought the path closer to the curb. Should work alot better next time. This is exactly what I wanted SS for.

Tried advanced summons today. First thing I noticed was that the car was showing to be in the opposite direction on the phone app, then it completely failed what was supposed to be a very simple summons. Get out of parking spot just by moving forward then make a lt turn and move a few feet. Well looks like the car really thought it was facing the opposite direction as indicated on the phone app since it attempted to reverse first. Then it got all confused so I just went to rescue it.
I have the same issue with my SR+. The SS screen shows the car facing the wrong direction but the Location screen shows the car facing the proper direction. The path SS shows is always messed up. Maybe I'll contact Tesla Service.

• Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life