Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MASTER THREAD: all Smart Summon-related posts go here

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I legitimately used smart summon this morning. I was parked in the end space in front of my kids' school and came out of the building after a meeting. As I approached the vestibule I could see the car through the windows and could also see that the area between the single parking row and the building was completely empty of vehicles or pedestrians so I summoned the car, setting the target as the front of the building, right in front of the doors.

By the time I exited the building, crossed the sidewalk, and entered the parking lot in front of the building, the car reached its target. It was very cool not needing to walk the entire length of the parking row to get to my car.

That's cool that it worked. But the thought of people testing this function in my school's parking lot terrified me. Perhaps we should try it somewhere else first.

It's clear owners are not using common sense here...

Some are summoning the car without a clear view of it and others are trying to summon is busy parking areas...

Just a matter of time before Tesla is asked to pull this feature until it gets better...

Didn't see anyone in the TEAP program wrecking their cars during the testing period..

I have been reading for weeks from owners screaming to have this feature only now to see owners screaming that they have wrecked their cars...

That's cool that it worked. But the thought of people testing this function in my school's parking lot terrified me. Perhaps we should try it somewhere else first.

I actually tested the function repeatedly in my deserted office parking lot over the weekend. And, like I mentioned, there were no pedestrians or cars in the area that was used for the summon this morning.

Based on the time waste created by this nonsense, I fully expect FSD (when finally released) to camp out in the left lane of the freeway at the speed limit with 20+ cars behind. Just what we needed...autonomous versions of Honda CRV drivers
If you're in a car that's FSDing in this manner, presumably turning on the right turn signal will, depending on whom you ask, either make a safe lane change to the right, or seek out the nearest fire truck.

I increased the summon tolerance settings from 8" to 24".

I'll try again while riding in the drivers seat, as some suggested.

But you know, the whole purpose is that some day you trust it not being in your line of sight. That is the reasonable use of the feature,

From my experience, the first fail is clearly the pedestrians.... The car is confused when seeing them and stops until they clear, which they don't.... As for the 2nd fail, not sure why it tanked other than sensing the approaching car.... but once the car backed away, it should have resumed.....

I had this occur under the TEAP release.... but not since the full release...

This drone video I found the most interesting out of all the videos posted the past few days

This is pretty much what I'd predict will happen all too frequently, it's far too passive. It looks like that's in Florida or at least somewhere warm and friendly. In a typical parking lot in the North East, other cars and people will be less forgiving and just wander in front of it as soon as it stops. In the second example, it could have kept going, but the lack of lane markings probably caused it to stop and wait for the obstacle to be completely removed.

It IS super cool, but not super practical.

Please do. I'd like to see some videos of Smart Summon working well in a couple of real world situations. I think it will be good for the rest of us who aren't having much luck with it so far.

Really? The rest of us?

Like these people?

Tesla Model 3 unparks itself and drives to save family from torrential rainstorm

Tesla Smart Summon is life-changing for drivers with mobility problems

Smart Summon: Amazing. Wow. What’s next?!

What if "the rest of us" stopped using SS? How much money would you have lost out on with the purchase of this feature?

Last edited:
Reactions: M109Rider
From my experience, the first fail is clearly the pedestrians.... The car is confused when seeing them and stops until they clear, which they don't.... As for the 2nd fail, not sure why it tanked other than sensing the approaching car.... but once the car backed away, it should have resumed.....

I had this occur under the TEAP release.... but not since the full release...
I was thinking the same thing for the first. Regarding the second, the other car is kinda in the middle of the road as opposed to the right side, which was my thinking on why the car didn’t move. Not sure though.

I believe that Smart Summon will emerge just as EAP did in 2015.

Same complaints about Smart Summon right now as there were in 2015 for EAP.

Just wait....

Question: Do you believe Smart Summon will be the exact same 4 years from now?

How many of you remember EAP in 2015 when it first came out? If so....is Smart Summon as good now as EAP was in 2015?

Oh...just happen to be a drone passing by a parking lot and noticed a model 3 with no one inside ( view from the top ) and recorded it.....by happenstance.

Really?

Just like with FSD ( autopilot ) back in 2015.... we will just let the nay-sayers simmer down until...….

The owner of the Tesla shot that drone video. He was hoping to get some great smart summon footage from above, but didnt have any luck on his first two tries. He was also going to post the dash cam vid, but scrapped that after the smart summon got stuck. If you find the original source (I think Reddit?) , he was quite active in the thread. Think he did get some good footage in a different parking lot later.