Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MASTER THREAD: all Smart Summon-related posts go here

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm not going to apologize if I've already mentioned this before because it's really important.

EVERYONE playing around with Smart Summon needs to try it while they're IN the car. It works just fine even if you're in the drivers seat.

Let's just say you're going to be in for an "interesting" ride. Then imagine this was your uber driver.

80% of what the car does a normal driver would never do.

Turning the wheels a lot while stopped
Abrupt stops
Driving over empty spaces in a parking lot
Getting too close to the curbs
Taking weird angles.

Outside the car it doesn't look nearly as bad as it does from inside the car.

• Informative
Reactions: ljbad4life
Releasing this to the untrained public is what's irresponsible. This has been tested by the "experts" for how long and they decided it was good enough for the public to try it out.

It's consistent with NoA, which is still a mess.

yes, this is what I can’t understand. It’s not like Tesla couldn’t find an edge case that presented a dangerous situation. They must have had only a very limited number of successful runs...and still decided (or were forced under threat of termination if history is our guide) to make this release. Just keep working. Autopilot was 100 times more complete (and actually useful) at its first “public beta” release.

I can’t believe this helps Tesla seem advanced. Soon to be known across America as the car lodged in the middle of the parking lane blocking all traffic...driverlessly!

My recommendation to those testing smart summon would be to stop testing it from the remote location.

Use the go to target option, and do the summon from the inside of the vehicle.

That way you can take over IMMEDIATELY, and you don't have to worry about the latency between the button and the car stopping.

I think "testing" is the wrong word for what's being done here, even by the folks who are being relatively responsible. Call a spade a spade. They're "fooling around" or "playing" with their cars, using a buggy, poorly documented feature.

It's not even in the realm of beta. It's like a pre-alpha preview version.

Maybe a proof of concept?

I don't know what this is, but it's not a Beta version.

I am happy that the dancing cars in the visualization has been significantly improved. That alone makes V10 worthwhile to me. So overall I'm pleased with V10, but Smart Summon is just a checkbox and I hope Tesla quickly moves onto HW3 stuff.

Absolutely its in the realm of beta.

Amazing.

The hardware does not have ANYTHING to do with how summon works right now.

WOW!!

I'm just waiting for authorities to start stepping in here and start banning Smart Summon.

I can't see how this won't end in bad press for Tesla.

It's obviously impressive, but it obviously still needs a ton of work to be consistently robust, that work should probably be focused elsewhere.

Banning SS/Tesla?

Have you ever seen people driving in parking lots? People need to be banned first.

Summon is tremendously better than some people's driving.

Has ANYONE here ever experienced people driving the wrong way down a parking lot aisle?

Has ANYONE here ever experienced people holding up about 10 cars in a parking lot waiting for slot 2 when slot 5 is open?

etc..... Enjoy.

I have many more complaints about people than I do cars.

Last edited:
How can I say this loud enough. DONT USE IT IF YOU DONT LIKE IT.

People are acting like Tesla is forcing you to use its FREE software.

You can drive the car yourself and use it just like any ICE car if you wish.

You aren't being forced to play the games. You aren't being forced to use SS. You aren't being forced to use any version of AutoPilot. You aren't being forced to use Sentry mode or Dog mode or anything.

However...a few times in life...there are free things that if you reject....you will eventually pay for.

It's not just that Smart Summon is a fail, it's that Tesla spent 10+ months on it, and it's still a very weak feature. At this speed of development, I think most owners felt that FSD is too far behind. Tesla is using games and Netflix to keep people happy to hide the fact that FSD is not anywhere it should be at this point. I hope I'm wrong because I purchased FSD on both Model 3. Really hope Tesla fix Nav-on-AP feature, Auto Lane Change, and Smart Summon soon so they can work on Stop signs and traffic light detection, and start rolling out FSD.

You're arguing disingenuously, and I don't appreciate it.

NHTSA's position has nothing to do with cases where it is used safely. NHTSA is concerned with cases where it is not used safely. It is inarguable that there are many many people using it unsafely, because there are dozens and dozens of YouTube videos documenting the abuse, all within a few days of SS release. The abuse is clearly defined -- these people used it contrary to Tesla's direct instructions.

NHTSA's position: "while automated safety technologies may facilitate increased safety, manufacturers should ensure that over the lifespan of the vehicle such technologies themselves do not create unreasonable risks to safety due to predictable abuse or impractical recalibration requirements. The Agency agrees. Unreasonable risks due to predictable abuse or impractical recalibration requirements may constitute safety-related defects."

This is a pointless strawman argument. NHTSA's predictable abuse clause is applied to automated safety technologies. No one doubts that cars in general can be used unsafely, and no one (including NHTSA) takes the position that cars should be banned.

It's not up to you, or to me. NHTSA will eventually rule on this.

I would like to point out NHTSA has no ruling effect on ANYTHING used on private land. Want a 10 year old to drive a car with out a license plate? You can on your 10 acre farm. You might be charged with child endangerment, but the NHTSA has nothing to say about it. Want to drive a car with no brakes or lights, you can on private land. Want to build a vehicle that's not road worthy? you can. It's called Nascar racing. Why? it's private land.

So let's summarize...

You shouldn't use SS in a crowded parking lot, or anywhere where there are a lot of cars and/or pedestrians. If you do so, the car will become confused, and will probably confuse other drivers and/or pedestrians.

The range of SS is about 200 feet.

SS works somewhat well in open parking lots with no one around.

If you are in an open parking lot with no one around, it's probably a lot quicker and easier to just walk that 200 feet or less to your car.

If you walk to your car, the chances are zero that the car will be involved in an accident.

I'm just waiting for authorities to start stepping in here and start banning Smart Summon.

I can't see how this won't end in bad press for Tesla.

It's obviously impressive, but it obviously still needs a ton of work to be consistently robust, that work should probably be focused elsewhere.

I completely agree. How can one release such an incomplete and dangerous product? Play in your backyards please. No pubic areas. No beta version of anything on the roads please.

Reactions: Petrocelli
The only updates that I think are useful is controlling the windows, and being able to use Homelink remotely.

I agree. Window control is my top feature too. I was hoping for it to happen some day, so it was a surprise it happened without any warning.
Remote Homelink isn't all that useful for me because my garage door opener already offers remote access anyway.

My distant #2 feature is being able to watch youtube when parked. I used it the other day while Supercharging. I could have used my phone, but it was nice to watch it on bigger screen with better audio.

My #3 is probably karaoke as it keeps my family entertained while driving. They have a pretty good collection of popular songs.

Unfortunately, Smart Summon has been a dud for me after a lot of anticipation. Let's hope it improves quickly. I'm not necessarily interested in Smart Summon per se, but it gives me an idea of what to expect in the near future for FSD capabilities. Some people disagree, but to me, the kind of challenges that SS has now is an indication of how far away Tesla is from true FSD. I'm almost afraid to make that last statement because there are some emotional folks on this forum who'd jump on me for saying that :)

• Helpful
Reactions: mswlogo and Dan123
I would like to point out NHTSA has no ruling effect on ANYTHING used on private land. Want a 10 year old to drive a car with out a license plate? You can on your 10 acre farm. You might be charged with child endangerment, but the NHTSA has nothing to say about it. Want to drive a car with no brakes or lights, you can on private land. Want to build a vehicle that's not road worthy? you can. It's called Nascar racing. Why? it's private land.

Do you plan to flatbed the car between these various pieces of private land? 'cause if a car isn't street legal (as, for example, if it has unsafe software) you can't drive it on the street. So it kind of does matter what NHTSA says.

Do you plan to flatbed the car between these various pieces of private land? 'cause if a car isn't street legal (as, for example, if it has unsafe software) you can't drive it on the street. So it kind of does matter what NHTSA says.

Beyond that, I would think it would not take too many SS "incidences" for schools and public parking lots to ban use of SS or other autonomous driving systems on their property.