Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MASTER THREAD: all Smart Summon-related posts go here

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting, when using "Come to Me" today I dis-engaged early, as I tend to do when it comes close enough. When going in my car, I noticed it said "Autopark cancelled". If I would have kept it going, would the car have parked itself if I was next to an empty car space?

So, I didn’t buy the full self driving feature when I purchaseD my Tesla model 3, only purchased the autopilot option, but for some reason when i updated to V10, I was able to use the smart summon feature. Wasn’t smart summon part of the full self driving package? How am i able to use smart summon if i never paid for the self driving package in the first place?

So, I didn’t buy the full self driving feature when I purchaseD my Tesla model 3, only purchased the autopilot option, but for some reason when i updated to V10, I was able to use the smart summon feature. Wasn’t smart summon part of the full self driving package? How am i able to use smart summon if i never paid for the self driving package in the first place?
Now I'm confused. Can someone cite a Tesla source that clarifies which M3s were and were not supposed to get smart summon with the v10 upgrade?

Now I'm confused. Can someone cite a Tesla source that clarifies which M3s were and were not supposed to get smart summon with the v10 upgrade?

upload_2019-10-16_18-19-41.gif

Nothing to be confused about.

Regular AP gets TACC and single-lane autosteer. Period.

FSD gets everything.

There are some people who are confused about what they bought- and it's made worse by the fact there's also Enhanced Autopilot- which they sold up until March 2019- and which gets all the same stuff FSD currently gets for new buyers but you can't buy EAP anymore. So some folks who "thought" they bought EAP after Feb 2019 only actually bought AP for example.

(there's future features FSD will get that EAP won't- but they don't yet exist).

All of this is pretty clear just reading the AP and FSD feature lists at tesla.com

At one point they were also doing like free 30 day trials of more advanced feature sets which also confused some folks who were unsure what they'd actually bought.

It was my fault but I didn’t trust it enough to handle the simple situation of cars approaching right after backing out.

It was raining pretty good so I decided to try it. I had completed the same summon 3-4 times previously at work, using both come to me and go to target. I looked around and didn’t see any activity so I started it up, she backed out and just then, sure enough....2 cars come riding up to her... I inadvertently lifted and stopped...tried to restart and it wasn’t happening fast enough so I just bailed on it as I ran out into the rain...apologizing as I jump in. :(

Todays lesson for me is that my experiences with the beta version of smart summon haven’t instilled enough confidence for me quite yet. It’s still so freakin cool when it works I can’t stand it!

I don't know if most people know this, but it's actually really easy to get a good idea of how well Smart Summon will work in a parking lot you're at without actually going through with the Smart Summon.

You just hit smart summon on the app, and look at the path. If the path is ridiculous then the car is likely going to stutter quite a bit as it tries to figure out a better path itself. If it's a good intelligent path then it's likely going to work well, and might be worth actually testing.

Now that might not be important to most of you, but its something I didn't realize. When I've tried Smart Summon at work the path it showed was always direct, and largely ignored the physical plants/trees/grass/curbs that were in the way.

So I figured actually testing it either outside the car or inside the car was the only way to see how it would actually perform.

Until I came across post #628 on this thread.
Navigate on Autopilot is Useless (2018.42.3)

The path the user showed doesn't look like anything I've seen. I've never seen it give that good of a path before even starting it. That path is very similar to the path my test case looks like that it always fails on.

Anyone else get a good path drawn (before the car starts to move) for what isn't a trivial summon?

The most practical use I've found is just holding "Come to Me" as I walk towards the car in a store parking lot and meeting it halfway. Then I just jump in and drive off. It saves the time of backing up, feels very slick, causes minimal disruption to others, and is safe. Maybe even safer than backing up from the driver's seat because I can monitor for cross-traffic more easily from outside the car. It's doing virtually no pathfinding this way, but it's really all I trust it to do for now.

I originally considered Smart Summon to be using satellite images to generate the planned path shown in the app, but it didn’t make sense why it worked for some lots and not others.

After checking OpenStreetMaps and Google Maps, I’d have to guess the path planner is actually using the available map data and not doing some satellite image lane detection magic. Take the following example where Smart Summon worked perfectly following the lot rows and not cutting across. The one-way data is even available for this lot. Although I didn’t get to test if it follows this.

ParkingLot.png

I checked another lot where it wanted to cut across and found no map data was available for that lot. It’s a small sample size but I’ll continue checking to see if it correlates. Of course, Tesla could be using a different map source or possibly even some internal data. But so far, I doubt the actual satellite images are used for anything other than display

Reactions: S4WRXTTCS
I originally considered Smart Summon to be using satellite images to generate the planned path shown in the app, but it didn’t make sense why it worked for some lots and not others.

After checking OpenStreetMaps and Google Maps, I’d have to guess the path planner is actually using the available map data and not doing some satellite image lane detection magic. Take the following example where Smart Summon worked perfectly following the lot rows and not cutting across. The one-way data is even available for this lot. Although I didn’t get to test if it follows this.

View attachment 467205

I checked another lot where it wanted to cut across and found no map data was available for that lot. It’s a small sample size but I’ll continue checking to see if it correlates. Of course, Tesla could be using a different map source or possibly even some internal data. But so far, I doubt the actual satellite images are used for anything other than display

I wonder if Tesla is even allowed to use satellite images when doing summon path planning? Google probably doesn't allow that. At least not without $$$'s

I think you're entirely correct, and that fits the experiences I've had along with others. Where it does appear to use map data, but not the satellite data we would have used (if we were the car).

Have you been able to determine whether it uses Google Map data or if it uses OpenStreetMaps data?

In my testing it appears to use OpenStreetMaps data as it doesn't have good data for where I'm testing it. So that's why it's unable to get good path. If it used Google Maps it would have a good path.

I'm going to try to see how to get OpenStreetMaps updated to see if that EVER translates into a better path for Smart Summon.

What's frustrating is as far as I know the car displays google maps, but internally uses OpenStreetMaps. So it doesn't just show you what it sees.

I don't know if most people know this, but it's actually really easy to get a good idea of how well Smart Summon will work in a parking lot you're at without actually going through with the Smart Summon.

You just hit smart summon on the app, and look at the path. If the path is ridiculous then the car is likely going to stutter quite a bit as it tries to figure out a better path itself. If it's a good intelligent path then it's likely going to work well, and might be worth actually testing

Explain better? I have "Come to Me" and I hold down the button to get it to do a thing, and no mapping is shown.

I think the radar just saw the far edge of the pot hole and saw it as an obstacle. It did a panic stop from about 2 mph. I heard the tires slip on some of the loose gravel around the pothole. Now you don't want it to do this on the highway.
No way the radar has enough resolution to see the edge of a pothole (it doesn't have enough resolution to tell the difference between an overpass and a truck!). The car recognized it with the cameras or ultrasonics or it just randomly stopped for some other reason.

Radar does not have much resolution particularly if it does not scan. I don't think the Tesla radar scans. It could easily pick up that macadam edge 6 ft. out and sense it as an obstruction and jam on the brakes which is what it did. The ultrasonics may not work that far. They sense farther but generally only activate a response within a few feet, not six. Most ACC radars are fixed beams of a certain shape. Those radars generally only know distance and Tesla's behave that way.