Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MASTER THREAD: all Smart Summon-related posts go here

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey everyone,

Trying to figure out if this is just a me thing or if it's fleet wide.

I use smart summon every chance is get. Over the past 3 or 4 days i have noticed a massive reduction in speed (9km/hr to 3km/hr).

Cameras are clear.

Im on 32.12.2 and have been for much longer than just the past few days (so no new update seems to be to blame).

I have a HW 2.5 Model 3 (May 3rd birthdate).

So.. ya. Anyone else have this issue?

Just out of curiosity and that I'm too afraid to try,

If you use Come to Me in a busy parking lot, will the car veer away from other cars coming in the opposite direction, or will it stay in the middle of the aisle and stop when a car approaches?

What happens when the car approaching stops for 'you' to pass?

Thanks!

I'm on 36.2.1 and use it cautiously in slower parking lots and at home.

It's more confident than previous builds for me, and quick to adjust when backing up / moving forward to get out of tight spaces. It doesn't stay stationary and think, it just goes.

Every now and then it calculates a way to me that doesn't make since and I have to abort and walk out to save the car.

As far as straight away speed, I'm not sure as it's always weaving around corners. I'm rarely in a situation where it goes straight towards me at max speed.

Tried Summon at work on 36.2.1 which I've done many times before with no issues on a prior release. Using "go to target" backed out of the parking spot fine then turned and started to go the opposite direction.
Repeated the same behavior the next day. What is going on? For now I've stopped using Summon.

Tried Summon at work on 36.2.1 which I've done many times before with no issues on a prior release. Using "go to target" backed out of the parking spot fine then turned and started to go the opposite direction.
Repeated the same behavior the next day. What is going on? For now I've stopped using Summon.
I've found that under summon my cars orientation has been opposite of how i actually parked after i updated to 36.2. even though under location the orientation was correct.I. was told to reinstall the app and reboot the system in the car... It seems to have fixed things for me but i haven't tried summon it yet. The car however send to show the correct orientation now....

Didn't you see that the planned route is going to the opposite direction before starting Summon?

Some real world testing.
again we all need to realize this is beta this is the first version of Smart Summon. 2 choices, use it or don’t use it. We the owner is still responsible, just like a dog off a leash.
https://youtu.be/y4rQTDwzdnk

The reason why it was trying to move too close to the other car in the first turn is that it was trying to find an exit from that section as per the planned route. The parking lot is most likely not mapped correctly and the planned route was wrong (right through the grass section as it was displayed on the summon map in your video). As I understand, it will always try to follow the planned route as displayed on the phone map. If you see that the planned route doesn't make sense, then don't even try to use Smart Summon, as it WILL atempt to drive this route. Try to move the target to different location and see if the route improves.

In most cases the reason for these "silly" planned routes is that the parking map is incorrect missing some parking section dividers, or a one way parking road direction is wrong on the map or something else is wrong. Tesla is using OpenStreetMaps for Smart Summon and this map can be edited by everybody just like wikipedia. I had a case where my car was trying to drive a wrong way on a one way parking road. I checked it on the OpenStreetMaps and sure enough the road direction was wrong in there. I fixed it and tried it again a couple weeks later and the car was driving correct way this time, so my changes got applied.
More on OpenStreetMaps in Smart Summon here: Tesla Owners Can Edit Maps to Improve Summon Routes

Reactions: Trevlan006
Hey everyone,

Trying to figure out if this is just a me thing or if it's fleet wide.

I use smart summon every chance is get. Over the past 3 or 4 days i have noticed a massive reduction in speed (9km/hr to 3km/hr).

Cameras are clear.

Im on 32.12.2 and have been for much longer than just the past few days (so no new update seems to be to blame).

I have a HW 2.5 Model 3 (May 3rd birthdate).

So.. ya. Anyone else have this issue?

You are correct, it seems to be halved now for Max KM. I did a test by cleaning off everything. Sensors, cameras , radar and still same thing, max I have seen now is 4km but mostly 2-3km.

• Informative
Reactions: McFlurri
You are correct, it seems to be halved now for Max KM. I did a test by cleaning off everything. Sensors, cameras , radar and still same thing, max I have seen now is 4km but mostly 2-3km.

Could you confirm the outside temperature in your area right now? I live in Montreal, QC and it's been below 0degC since my car updated to 2019.36.2.1 and smart summon has been running at 2-3km/h compared to 8-9km/h in the fall on 2019.32.12.2.

I thought the 36.2.1 update caused the slowdown but your same experience on 32.12.2 leads me to believe Tesla is limiting summon speed in winter weather. During my first try with 36.2.1 there was snow on the ground in the parking lot. Every try since has been on dry pavement but in freezing weather, everytime it still limits itself to 2-3 km/h.

I think smart summon has a winter mode and I think it's driven by outside temperature. If I'm lucky, temps will go above freezing this weekend and I will re-test.

Could you confirm the outside temperature in your area right now? I live in Montreal, QC and it's been below 0degC since my car updated to 2019.36.2.1 and smart summon has been running at 2-3km/h compared to 8-9km/h in the fall on 2019.32.12.2.

I thought the 36.2.1 update caused the slowdown but your same experience on 32.12.2 leads me to believe Tesla is limiting summon speed in winter weather. During my first try with 36.2.1 there was snow on the ground in the parking lot. Every try since has been on dry pavement but in freezing weather, everytime it still limits itself to 2-3 km/h.

I think smart summon has a winter mode and I think it's driven by outside temperature. If I'm lucky, temps will go above freezing this weekend and I will re-test.

I wish some of our hot weather friends could chime in lol. I did see a max of 5km a few times.

I can confirm that i first noticed it before the first snowfall of the season and temps were around 8-10C.

This happened without any update. I use smart summon all the time (mainly to show my coworkers how we will all be out of a job within 10 years). Day before maxed out at 9km/hr.. the next day.. 2-3km/hr.

Even after updating to another software version.. still having the issue.

Im glad more people are speaking up. I thought it was just me for the past week.

I have a service appointment actually because the camera heaters on my car dont seem to be working. Figured it may had been related..

Some real world testing.
again we all need to realize this is beta this is the first version of Smart Summon. 2 choices, use it or don’t use it. We the owner is still responsible, just like a dog off a leash.

Well, here is my experience:

Tried Smart Summon to leave my garage over the weekend, I even centered the car a bit to ensure it did not have to turn to exit and could pull out directly. I was maybe 50' away from the car and requested it to come out of the garage and down my alley to me. The car proceed to take a slight left turn (I was to the right) then drive forward a little more to left, at which point I noticed a piece of my garage trim fall to the ground. Uh-oh.

I immediately stopped and walked over to the far side of the car and realized it had grazed the side of my garage in some sort of strange maneuver, and a long and deep scratch along my rear driver's side door and rear quarter panel. Car and cameras were clean, no obstructions anywhere on the route.

Several calls and emails later, I'm filing a $5,400 insurance claim. Not happy. Never using this feature AGAIN.

I quoted the above as I put the blame entirely on myself and even took steps to ensure this wouldn't happen, yet it did and now I'm out at least my insurance deductible and perhaps some diminished value on the car as there will be a significant claim to explain to any prospective buyer. My wife cited that I agreed to beta test features like this when I bought a Tesla, and she's absolutely correct, but this has been a very painful lesson. Let it serve to a warning to others about the risks of using this feature.

I honestly don't know what I could have done differently, as I've used normal summon out of the garage a number of time before with no issue. I could have perhaps been closer, but that sort of defeats the whole purpose?

edit: In case anyone is wondering how a few scratches can get to $5,400, I'm told there is some extensive work required to disconnect the high voltage system, the bumper because the scratch extends to the body.

Last edited: