Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MASTER THREAD: all Smart Summon-related posts go here

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I love smart summon but it does not work on public streets which includes named roads in parking lots. My car was summoned from its parking spot and made it down the aisle and should have turned right into another aisle but it stopped.
You can go into OpenStreetMap and ensure that even named "roads" such as those are tagged as Parking Aisles; if they are then Smart Summon should have no issues. I had a similar problem at my employer's parking lot where the car refused to move from one lane to another; after updating the tagging the issue was resolved when I tested the next day.

Last edited by a moderator:
You can go into OpenStreetMaps and ensure that even named "roads" such as those are tagged as Parking Aisles; if they are then Smart Summon should have no issues. I had a similar problem at my employer's parking lot where the car refused to move from one lane to another; after updating the tagging the issue was resolved when I tested the next day.
Just to clarify, go to www.openstreetmap.org not maps with an "s" which takes you to a site that tries to install malware on your system.

Reactions: DopeGhoti
Just wondering how capable is this new sentry mode where the car comes to you? I only use it when there are no other cars / pedestrians present in the parking lot I'm in, just mainly for fun. But if there are cars driving around, I will likely not try it just because I want as little variables as possible.

But when I do use it when there are very little variables, it's pretty good at doing it. But another thing is that I may only use it if the car only has to drive forward (because I parked it backwards). I never tried it where the car had to back up, then move forward.

Has anyone tried it in a very busy setting like a shopping center mall parking garage, on holiday weekend, when cars are frantically looking for parking spots and people are everywhere? Can you treat it like some kind of valet that can drive from a distance that's a 1-2 minute walk, but you just stay at the mall entrance area?

How far can you use this feature? And is the car smart enough to avoid curbs? I think it should know to avoid other cars or people.

I'm also curious how tight a situation summon can handle for backing out of the garage.
Accessing my garage is a tight fit.
I prefer to fold the mirrors before and need to make a slight curve entering or exiting.
To make matters worse I have no choice but to park a utility trailer right beside the garage door.

I'm also curious how tight a situation summon can handle for backing out of the garage.
Accessing my garage is a tight fit.
I prefer to fold the mirrors before and need to make a slight curve entering or exiting.
To make matters worse I have no choice but to park a utility trailer right beside the garage door.

I would NEVER summon out of tight garage.

Why?

Tesla won't cover scrapes and damage.

I’ve used it in a busy parking lot. The pucker was strong when it was backing up. I was convinced it was going to tap a truck. It didn’t.
Another time in a busy lot a car came out in front of it. The Tesla stopped and waited for that car to get out of the way and then resumed. Same with humans walking. I was pretty impressed.
I use it as a party trick mostly. But it has been somewhat useful when leaving large restaurants. I’m moderately fit so don’t mind walking the few feet. #freecardio. Used it at one restaurant on a rainy night. That was by far the best use I’ve seen for it.

I use it in my parking lot at work some times. It's 50/50 on awesome vs. annoying. Sometimes it pulls out and drives straight to me. Other times, I watch it turn the wheels the WRONG way, and it starts going away from me, then stops, then turns even sharper away from me, and I'm like, where the heck are you going? So I have to stop it, run over to it (since it's now in the middle of the parking lot), and hop in before someone yells at me.

I use it in my parking lot at work some times. It's 50/50 on awesome vs. annoying. Sometimes it pulls out and drives straight to me. Other times, I watch it turn the wheels the WRONG way, and it starts going away from me, then stops, then turns even sharper away from me, and I'm like, where the heck are you going? So I have to stop it, run over to it (since it's now in the middle of the parking lot), and hop in before someone yells at me.

I test summon quite a bit.

Look at the route its deciding to take get to you on your phone.

Its interesting to me that sometimes it seems to follow the correct direction of the lane traffic to get to me - even when it looks to be going crazy as it travels away from me and then turns down the next aisle ( in the proper direction ) to get to me.

Some kind of way it seems to be following the lines.

Just wondering how capable is this new sentry mode where the car comes to you? I only use it when there are no other cars / pedestrians present in the parking lot I'm in, just mainly for fun. But if there are cars driving around, I will likely not try it just because I want as little variables as possible.

But when I do use it when there are very little variables, it's pretty good at doing it. But another thing is that I may only use it if the car only has to drive forward (because I parked it backwards). I never tried it where the car had to back up, then move forward.

Has anyone tried it in a very busy setting like a shopping center mall parking garage, on holiday weekend, when cars are frantically looking for parking spots and people are everywhere? Can you treat it like some kind of valet that can drive from a distance that's a 1-2 minute walk, but you just stay at the mall entrance area?

How far can you use this feature? And is the car smart enough to avoid curbs? I think it should know to avoid other cars or people.
Biggest risk is the amount of money you pay to get a feature which doesn't work at all on some cars.