Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MASTER THREAD: Auto Wiper functionality, complaints, praise, etc.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is exactly the problem if you ask me. To rephrase your post... "Sudden heavy rain? Press the stalk button then take your eyes off the road to fidget with the touchscreen". And you live in *Florida*... sudden heavy rain happens there twice a day! ;)

I *really* wish we could press the stalk button and then scroll one of the wheels. Problem solved.
I get what you're saying and I like your idea, but I've been through a few heavy showers and selecting the speed wasn't as big a deal as I thought it would. For me, it's the positioning on the new UI that helped a lot as seen below. Before, it required way more fidgeting.

maxresdefault.jpg

It pumps fluid for as long as you hold the button down to the second detent. If you're just "tapping" the button you get a wee squirt. Hold that sucker down and you'll be complaining about bug juice streaming onto the driver's side window.
Just tried it this morning and it doesn’t work like that for me. You can hear the pump activating on the first part of the wipe only no matter how long you hold the button in for.

Until Tesla improves to the auto rain detection, how much programming time would it cost them to at least add an intermittent wiper function to the software? A couple of days for a few programmers, if that? I really appreciate my Model 3, but it feels like Tesla is not really even trying with the wipers. C'mon guys.

I was well aware of the level 1 setting for wipers, but not aware that Tesla referred to this setting as “intermittent”. Really? They can call it that if they want, but please give me more settings. What would I like? Just anything approximating what is available with just about every other car on the market, even ones that sell for half the price of the Model 3.

I am appreciative of pretty much ever other aspect of my Model 3, but the Tesla has really failed with its wipers.

Reactions: BayAreaCelt
I’ve had my M3P for about 5 weeks now, have not got it out in the rain yet. 😉

Tim

I drove in the rain last night for the first time.

My verdict... THE AUTOMATIC WIPERS SUCK! OMG it's so bad, hardly a mist and they were going like it was during a downpour. I had them on for maybe 10 minutes and could not stand it any longer, and switched to manual. I've had automatic wipers on cars 15 years ago that worked 10X better than these. Easily the worst thing about the car.

Add me to the list of folks hoping for an improvement.

Tim

There is this product:

My preference would be to dedicate the right scroll wheel to the wipers, as I rarely use speed control, but that wouldn't work for many.

From the manual:
1619974674543.png

+1 on wipers need improving. Had auto wipers since a 1999 Jaguar XJ. Every car worked pretty flawlessly until the M3. It’s a critical safety item and can’t believe that Tesla think it to be ok.

Only thing (except a HUD perhaps) I think the car falls down on. Paint, finish and panel gaps perfect. So far...

• Disagree
Reactions: Gasaraki
I drove in the rain last night for the first time.

My verdict... THE AUTOMATIC WIPERS SUCK! OMG it's so bad, hardly a mist and they were going like it was during a downpour. I had them on for maybe 10 minutes and could not stand it any longer, and switched to manual. I've had automatic wipers on cars 15 years ago that worked 10X better than these. Easily the worst thing about the car.

Add me to the list of folks hoping for an improvement.

Tim
I have been waiting for 3 years. Don't hold your breath.

I tried the auto setting one more time since some people claimed it works for them. Nope. It just sucks. Every once in a while it seems like it's going to work ok for a bit then it just stops when the rain hasn't changed at all. Other times it goes on turbo when it's hardly even raining. It just really doesn't work well.

Reactions: TBrownTX
I tried the auto setting one more time since some people claimed it works for them. Nope. It just sucks. Every once in a while it seems like it's going to work ok for a bit then it just stops when the rain hasn't changed at all. Other times it goes on turbo when it's hardly even raining. It just really doesn't work well.

Tesla is just one physical rain sensor and a software rewrite to use that sensor from fixing this problem.