Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MASTER THREAD: Auto Wiper functionality, complaints, praise, etc.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting that your experience exactly parallels mine. And in the same city. My previous car, a Mazda 3 had perfectly calibrated auto wipers. My Tesla Model 3, not so much. In fact, as you pointed out, they're actually dangerous to rely on during shoulder season slush days. Don't know what technology was used in the Mazda 3, but it should serve as the target to aspire to.

My Mazda 3 also had remarkable automatic wipers. The Tesla is fine now (for me) and a world better than how hilariously bad they were when the feature first came out but I’m excited to see the new focus on development.

You guys make me feel lucky. I got my car at the end of July, and we'd not had any rain until Thanksgiving. I guess I've had five or six software updates, so I was curious how the sensor-wipe would behave. Well, no real complaints, but a '37 Cadillac with vacuum wipers taught me to stop bitching years ago. The Tesla's wipers seem adequate, and if they fall behind, a quick touch of the wiper button on the end of the stalk will fix it.

Reactions: silenteski
They simply aren't sensitive enough. Even in heavy rain they only intermittently wipe leaving me blinded most of the time. While blinded I have to take my eyes off the road to turn it to manual. Not a safe situation.

I use manual all the time. I keep rechecking after each update to see if the wipers are usable but they are still not.

And if yours works great then great for you. Doesn't change the fact that many of us have unusable autowipers.

I've had my car for 10 weeks. Up until about 2 weeks ago the wipers were a disaster. I had the same experience as you guys.
Something changed a few weeks ago, and I saw that an update on them is coming soon(if not already?). Keep the faith. Tesla knows there's an issue.

Doesn't change the fact that many of us have unusable autowipers

That doesn't change the fact that many of us have usable auto-wipers.

How often to wipe is a highly subjective thing, and unfortunately, we don't have the ability to declare a bias for the auto-wipers to make them more or less aggressive. This would be a very welcome feature, even though I've had no complaints with the auto-wipers personally. I'm always of the opinion that "more options" is better than "fewer options". Hopefully the wipers will be either tuned more to your liking, or a bias setting will be made available.

That doesn't change the fact that many of us have usable auto-wipers.

How often to wipe is a highly subjective thing, and unfortunately, we don't have the ability to declare a bias for the auto-wipers to make them more or less aggressive. This would be a very welcome feature, even though I've had no complaints with the auto-wipers personally. I'm always of the opinion that "more options" is better than "fewer options". Hopefully the wipers will be either tuned more to your liking, or a bias setting will be made available.

Why post to say "erm mine work fine". That is why I acknowledged in my post that this is the case for some people.

It's not a personally taste issue. In heavy rain the wipers are only intermittently wiping. You CAN'T SEE ANYTHING! It's ridiculous and unusable. It's not a matter of fine tuning or having some drops on the windshield. It has been this way since I got the car in April.

Come on Tesla. Fix this already!

Sorry, but wipers should have gone off by now. It’s unsafe to gamble on whether it’s going to work or not, and I live in Seattle where rain was invented...

they did eventually go on about 20 seconds later...smh. And they expect me to pay $7000 for self driving, and can’t get this right?

Attachments

• F0C7C912-B818-4F12-9A80-54386B01EF9E.jpeg
    F0C7C912-B818-4F12-9A80-54386B01EF9E.jpeg
    567.6 KB · Views: 110
Reactions: kavyboy
Sorry, but wipers should have gone off by now. It’s unsafe to gamble on whether it’s going to work or not, and I live in Seattle where rain was invented...

they did eventually go on about 20 seconds later...smh. And they expect me to pay $7000 for self driving, and can’t get this right?

Mine work much better than that - overall, I'm pretty happy with how well mine work. It's odd to see such a difference between models of the same car.

Exactly. When I say blind I mean blind. Still no wipe. How did they even release this?

And to switch speeds you have to take your eyes off the road and hit a very small button on the screen. Not safe at all. There should be a tactile control on the stem you can use by feel without taking eyes off road like every other car. I like minimalist design but not at the cost of safety.

Mine have worked fine for quite a few software versions now. They're still a bit slow occasionally. They're a ton better than they were 16 months ago. What I've found to help immensely is using Rain-X 2 in 1 cleaner - after using it the wipers improved drastically.

Oh and - learn to love that little button that turns on your wipers, the one that you can find immediately when you go blind.

The wipers are absurdly improved from where they were not too long ago. But yeah, I wouldn't even call them beta. It barely works most of the time, and is quite a ways off from being sensible to not have a traditional wiper stalk that's easy to adjust without looking. It makes it very challenging to recommend the car to people to the average non enthusiast. Anyone that doesn't have an issue with them likely rarely drives through rain. Most people are borderline terrified to drive in heavy rain anyways, and then the wipers not working or being entirely erratic is likely enough to be a real issue.