Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MASTER THREAD: Auto Wiper functionality, complaints, praise, etc.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why would you assume that?

The system is vision based.

You might not have heard, but Tesla is devoting considerable resources to improving their vision software for additional reasons beyond wipers.

It's already a lot better than it was a couple years ago. I expect it'll continue to get better over time.

Well I did say I was assuming "for the sake of argument". The assumption was intended to introduce my point about the alternative option of adjustable intermittent wiper functionality.

But thanks for the info about Telsa's vision detection efforts - I hope that something comes out of it.

Why would you assume that?

The system is vision based.

You might not have heard, but Tesla is devoting considerable resources to improving their vision software for additional reasons beyond wipers.

It's already a lot better than it was a couple years ago. I expect it'll continue to get better over time.
Hard disagree. My wipers have gotten a lot worse over the past couple years. I use them on manual frequently now. Never did that 2 years ago, in fact the wipers worked so well when I first got the car that I didn't even know how to switch them to manual.

2020 Optimist.jpg

Wipers actually worse than they started. The joys of stupidly using computer vision for a thing that Bosch figured out and got right decades ago in more simple ways without net learning and other nukes-to-crush-a-fly idiocy...
I don't know the finer points of auto wipers, but I had a 2005 Lexus with some sort of sensor, and it never really seemed to do a good job. It was inconsistent, and I'd often have to intervene. I liked my old Acura's manual system better. It was easy to set and change, and sped up when the car was moving, which was nice.

I haven't had a chance to use the Tesla's system yet, but I wish it had an easier way to manually set it just in case. Might find out in a few days, though, as rain may be coming to our Bay Area.

*may* lol I will believe the rain when I see it.. One thing - every European car I owned for the past several decades (including the far superior FORD UK built cars like the RS and similar) had the usual industry rain sensors. Flawless, every single one - whether it was a Jag (I had the F Type R) or BMW 1 series I had, whatever it was, rain sensor just worked. This effort is a genuine sh*tshow.

Ok. It’s been years now and I think we have to face that Tesla’s Auto Wiper using NN isn’t going to get better anytime soon. I’m sure I’m not the first to think of or suggest it, but can we all get together and suggest the following workaround to Elon and co.:

- Pressing the left wiper stalk works as usual (triggers a wipe and opens the wiper menu on the screen)

- BUT... add the option to have the left scroll wheel control wiper speed only while the wiper menu is displayed.

I get the “overloading” concerns about using the left scroll wheel for more than one function, but I think this would be an efficient and safe fix for a very real (and dangerous) design issue. I, for one, can live with the “danger” of accidentally changing my audio volume if the wiper menu times out. (For those who hate the idea, this entire feature could be easily disabled in a system menu.)

Who’s with me? And how do we get Tesla to take this seriously?

yep. I'm right there with ya. My Model 3 auto wipers absolutely are NOT automatic! so many manual presses when rain rate (or road splash from semi's!!!) increases the water on the windshield. yeah, yeah, I'm running latest software etc. it. just. doesn't. work. period. when raining, u get in the car and close the door and the wipers go mad a-wiping while still parked! then when you put it in drive, and start moving, they stop. they . just. stop...when I'm driving forward after they have gone crazy while parked. it's maddening. i kinda need the water wiped away while moving, NOT just sitting there parked. seriously love my Tesla but seriously hate the "auto" wipers.

Instead of these hackers focusing on making products for an already fast car to go faster, they should work on something more useful like a 3rd party kit to adapt a proper rain sensor.

Since they know how to tap into the wiring, and the software, it should be child's play for them to make an aftermarket rain sensing wiper kit. Look at how this guy was able to wire in a sensor to his car.

In terms of changing controls, try learning the few voice commands needed to change the wipers. They work well, so I don't need them to change the controls.

• Informative
Reactions: jsmay311
I use the voice controls all the time. But the reality is the process takes too long to be safe. A quick stalk press and scroll up would be much much quicker. Plus, about half the time, the system gets the commands wrong and tries to navigate somewhere random. I'm sure it's my fault that I'm not speaking clearly enough, but it is what it is.

Reactions: RaezoR
I thought about this for weeks when I first got my M3. This was my thought as well, except:
  1. I'd prefer the right wheel instead of the left. The right wheel is fairly useless for me, it should be contextual... and this would be a perfect use-case.
  2. Instead of the 4 speeds, I'd like to see a granular range slider showing WPM (wipes per minute) from 0 to 30.
While I applaud the idea of "auto" everything, this is one case where the auto is too often ineffective and unfortunately "manual" is dangerous (IMO). When you're driving on the thruway in a downpour, taking your eyes off the road to look at the screen is obviously super risky. Voice commands only work with a cell signal and also take too long. Also rain can fluctuate fairly quickly... voice commands feel like too much effort / too much talking for something that should be seamless.

What I've become accustomed to is "full manual"... pressing the stalk button every few seconds. I guess that's better than reaching out the window with a squeegee. It's embarrassingly bad for such a nice vehicle though. Especially so since this is 100% software driven and straightforward. I could implement this in a few hours if Tesla gave us access.