Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MASTER THREAD: Auto Wiper functionality, complaints, praise, etc.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Your wipers start every time you use Reverse or just when your in a garage and use Reverse?????

Dark-ish garage (parked nose in, but happens day or night), ignition ON, reverse engaged --> auto-wipe initiates a sweep.
EVERY freaking time.

:rolleyes:

P.S.: Garage has a roof, if someone is wondering, with no moisture or condensation on the windshield. Just the shadows to spook the rain sensor. :D

Once auto wiper is set, do we have to press any button to activate it to wipe or it'll just wipe automatically when it detects rain?

No action necessary - it will wipe when it sees rain obstructing the view from the cameras in front of your rear-view mirror.

If it's not kicking in soon enough for your taste, push the button on the left stalk for a single wipe. That's usually all the prodding it needs from me to work as I'd want it.

Auto wipers are still far too sensitive. Unless it’s pouring out, I still manually engage the wipers. Frustrating. My 12 year old BMW X5 was so much better at auto wipers.

The auto function REALLY needs the ability to have a faster/slower adjustment (like BMWs have).

Reactions: Gasaraki
Mine are still awful too. High speed to start and wiping well after it’s dry. Same issues as before. Way too sensitive or not enough.

Still working terribly for me on the latest software. I have been driving in bad winter weather all day and they absolutely suck. Its easier for me to just control them manually which kinda defeats the purpose of "auto" wipers.

Working terrible (lack of sensitivity) for me for the past 3 updates. Windshield was covered 85% road snow dirt + snowfall, and it still did not activate on its own. Once I hit the button for the quick wipe, it started functioning fine until I came to a stop. Then it went back to being terrible.

The "deep learning" update so far is different. Not better. Not worse. Worse in ways. Better in ways. Different.

One different thing it has done a lot is wipe when there is no precipitation. With all this grit on the roads (and thus windshield), we now have a lot of small scratches due to this. Back to bopping the button on the stalk and turning of auto...

I have to ask.... why didnt they just go with the cheap Bosch or whatever sensor that works on European vehicles to a very high standard... why waste so much time and effort and expense on machine learning for fecks sake?

They even used that on Model S/X. Good ol' Not-Invented-Here syndrome.

Might be a decent cost savings per car in materials, but all this R&D cost to get an arguably worse system in the end surely isn't worth it.

• Funny
Reactions: BayAreaCelt
My new M3 wipers are not nearly sensitive enough. My older 2016 Model S worked much better. I usually just turn the wipers on manual whenever it rains more than a drizzle or I can’t see.

Agreed. After a few months of use on my 3, I’d say the wipers themselves are better than my old S but the auto mode is still junk and unusable. I just use my wipers manually. In auto, they never just work right. They either never wipe or wipe way too much for the conditions. Agreed the auto-wipers are still in Beta but they’ve been rubbish for 18 months+ now so I guess they are as good as they are going to get.

Reactions: New_Old_Stock