Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MASTER THREAD: Auto Wiper functionality, complaints, praise, etc.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'd prefer the right wheel instead of the left. The right wheel is fairly useless for me, it should be contextual... and this would be a perfect use-case.

I'm with you on the right wheel. However, I think people see the right wheel as a more "mission critical" control (when used with autopilot/FSD). Again, pretty trivial to make a left/right scroll wheel selection in a deeper menu. As you said, the hardware/functionality is all there, not really a big deal to write the code to patch it together.

Ok. It’s been years now and I think we have to face that Tesla’s Auto Wiper using NN isn’t going to get better anytime soon. I’m sure I’m not the first to think of or suggest it, but can we all get together and suggest the following workaround to Elon and co.:

- Pressing the left wiper stalk works as usual (triggers a wipe and opens the wiper menu on the screen)

- BUT... add the option to have the left scroll wheel control wiper speed only while the wiper menu is displayed.

I get the “overloading” concerns about using the left scroll wheel for more than one function, but I think this would be an efficient and safe fix for a very real (and dangerous) design issue. I, for one, can live with the “danger” of accidentally changing my audio volume if the wiper menu times out. (For those who hate the idea, this entire feature could be easily disabled in a system menu.)

Who’s with me? And how do we get Tesla to take this seriously?
I agree, however they need to have that wiper popup stay a little long than the 1 sec (feels like) it is up currently when you press the button. Also they need more speed settings, 4 speeds is not enough, the slowest setting is too fast for me sometimes. My old Subaru had like 10 little notches and each notch was 1 sec. We don't need that much, just 5 or 6 speeds, one being slower than the slowest one now.

Ok. It’s been years now and I think we have to face that Tesla’s Auto Wiper using NN isn’t going to get better anytime soon. I’m sure I’m not the first to think of or suggest it, but can we all get together and suggest the following workaround to Elon and co.:

- Pressing the left wiper stalk works as usual (triggers a wipe and opens the wiper menu on the screen)

- BUT... add the option to have the left scroll wheel control wiper speed only while the wiper menu is displayed.

I get the “overloading” concerns about using the left scroll wheel for more than one function, but I think this would be an efficient and safe fix for a very real (and dangerous) design issue. I, for one, can live with the “danger” of accidentally changing my audio volume if the wiper menu times out. (For those who hate the idea, this entire feature could be easily disabled in a system menu.)

Sounds like a great idea to me.

@blckdmp HW 3.0 makes a difference! I have 2 M3, one with HW 2.5, one with HW 3.0. I have no complaints with the wipers on HW 3.0, but the sensing is horrible with HW 2.5. So I will let Tesla update my HW 2.5 to HW 3.0 as soon as this option is available here in Austria.

Reactions: blckdmp

I'm with you, any customizable features are welcome, if anyone doesn't like it can just turn it off, or change it from left scroll to right.

However, I'm happy with auto wiper 98% of the time, the 1% when they are too slow I just do a quck stalk press (reflex, i don't even think about it), the other 1% when they are too fast, who cares.

I have a mid-2019X (HW3 via free upgrade that happened soon after getting it) and the auto wipers are barely useful. They act as a helper at least but if its raining lightly, or snowing, they simply do not activate and stay active enough. Also the difference between auto option 1 and option 2 isn't great but I also cannot say if I want more of a delta or less (they behave odd either way). Manual option is at least easier in my X because of it being on a stalk and not touch-screen. In fact I would never want a car without manual for the urgent controls and can imaging it must be a pain to use a touch-screen for everything.

Use of a product like Rain-X (or similar) makes things much better IMO. I rarely use the wipers at about 35 mph and over. It also takes the danger out of things at lower speeds simply because water on the glass doesn't have the sheeting effect that makes visibility poor. Water beads rather than sheets - that makes a big difference. I understand this isn't necessarily a solution to the technical problem that's being discussed here, but I think you'll find that things are a lot less dangerous when activating the wipers because your visibility isn't gone entirely if you need to glance back and forth from window to screen.

What scares me is this seems to be a trend with Tesla, a string of uncompleted projects (that work somewhat) that seem to get abandoned. Auto park, auto wipers, auto high beams, smart summon, auto lane change (to a lesser extent). I have pretty much everything that my M3 does "auto" turned off because it sucks. I have found auto wipers to not always be terrible, I left them on for a while. Tried turning auto high beams back on the other day and started laughing because it was so bad it was comical. I hate that I'm starting to lose faith in the future of FSD because of this trend, still holding on but not sure about my cyber truck order anymore.

I also think with most things instead of having just the NN or whatever try to decide what is best, how about it does its thing but we get a sensitivity or fine tuning slider or something since everyone is different. This is kind of like the follow distance adjustment and could be applied to lots of stuff like autopilot acceleration, braking, wipers, high beams etc.

Reactions: blckdmp
2019 here - sometimes they work perfectly and other times during light rain or a random splash they don't work. For those that don't know, I discovered that if you press in the button on the left stalk, it will activate the wipers. It's a lot easier than messing with the touch screen when you need them to wipe something off in the moment.

I don't know mine work perfectly ...no issues with the auto wipers at all. If anything they wipe a little earlier than I would when the rain is light. Otherwise they are probably the best I have had in any car.
There are times when I could explain the performance of my Model S auto wipers exactly as you did. Then the next time it rains, I'm throwing every curse I know at them. The auto functionality is frustratingly erratic in my experience.

Reactions: pilotSteve
Instead of these hackers focusing on making products for an already fast car to go faster, they should work on something more useful like a 3rd party kit to adapt a proper rain sensor.

Since they know how to tap into the wiring, and the software, it should be child's play for them to make an aftermarket rain sensing wiper kit. Look at how this guy was able to wire in a sensor to his car.

In terms of changing controls, try learning the few voice commands needed to change the wipers. They work well, so I don't need them to change the controls.
Honestly I could probably wire something up that would send signal to the manual stalk and effect the same change as pressing the button... Just automated. I'll look into this.

Reactions: TLLMRRJ