Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MASTER THREAD: Auto Wiper functionality, complaints, praise, etc.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
no issues with the auto wipers at all. If anything they wipe a little earlier than I would when the rain is light. Otherwise they are probably the best I have had in any car.

Thought I was a one off. My auto wipers work fine 99.9% of the time on my '17 MS. Rarely in a light mist, or wet snow, or the first wipe starting out I need to intervene. For those of you with concerns is it that they don't turn on? Or not running fast enough? Or too slow?? Or turn on too often? I'm trying to understand if it's a "personal preference" thing or something else.
Why can't we have good auto AND good manual wipers?
Honestly I thought we did. What doesn't work when using manual mode?

Very curious why there is such a disparity among us.

Ok. It’s been years now and I think we have to face that Tesla’s Auto Wiper using NN isn’t going to get better anytime soon. I’m sure I’m not the first to think of or suggest it, but can we all get together and suggest the following workaround to Elon and co.:

- Pressing the left wiper stalk works as usual (triggers a wipe and opens the wiper menu on the screen)

- BUT... add the option to have the left scroll wheel control wiper speed only while the wiper menu is displayed.

I get the “overloading” concerns about using the left scroll wheel for more than one function, but I think this would be an efficient and safe fix for a very real (and dangerous) design issue. I, for one, can live with the “danger” of accidentally changing my audio volume if the wiper menu times out. (For those who hate the idea, this entire feature could be easily disabled in a system menu.)

Who’s with me? And how do we get Tesla to take this seriously?
I'm one of the few people that actually haven't had any problems with the auto function not only turning the wipers on at the appropriate time, but also setting a wiping speed appropriate to the conditions.

But for those that do have problems, I think yours is a solid solution.

Thought I was a one off. My auto wipers work fine 99.9% of the time on my '17 MS. Rarely in a light mist, or wet snow, or the first wipe starting out I need to intervene. For those of you with concerns is it that they don't turn on? Or not running fast enough? Or too slow?? Or turn on too often? I'm trying to understand if it's a "personal preference" thing or something else.

For me it's mostly "too late". It's only personal preference in as much as I prefer to be able to see anything at all out the windshield ;). I wonder if the darker trees in the background round here make a difference. When there's lots of sky in the BG the wipers seem to work a little better.

Read the first few posts in this thread... it's not that the manual doesn't work, it's just that it's very poorly designed (requires the touchscreen or voice commands).

Never had a problem with wipers in my 18 months of ownership. They come on when it rains and go off when it stops. They seem to change tempo according to driving speed and/or volume of water hitting windshield. Best wipers in any car I have owned! Guess I am lucky?! LOL

Reactions: KArnold
I'm a new M3 owner and overall fairly impressed with it, but... very disppointed with the ability to keep the windshield clean. I live in Central CA so havent had much opportunity to use the wiper auto function yet, one light rain day and the auto wiper function seemed to operate OK. However, the issue I have is with the washer design.
Two nozzles, one on each blade that spray out such that the lower left (driver) side of the windshield never really gets very wet. Picked the car up last month, had to drive it 100+ miles to get it home, killed lots of bug on the way. Liked the location of the wiper button on the stalk (versus having to use the display only) but was dismayed to end up with bug guts smeared over the windscreen. Virtually no cleaning action at all.
I've got a mobile service call in incase there is something wrong with the car...I cant believe the washers are designed this way. My old Saab and Volvos would flood the screen with multiple jets mounted on the hood and with a couple of cycles would be clean.
Has anyone else got issues with the effectiveness of the washers?

The wipers just aren’t very good. I parked under a tree today and need to wipe the windows on the drive home. A pitiful amount of water was ejected onto the glass. It seems to eject the water with the first 10th of the wipe and not the rest. Consequently lots of wiping for little cleaning effect.

The wipers just aren’t very good. I parked under a tree today and need to wipe the windows on the drive home. A pitiful amount of water was ejected onto the glass. It seems to eject the water with the first 10th of the wipe and not the rest. Consequently lots of wiping for little cleaning effect.
It pumps fluid for as long as you hold the button down to the second detent. If you're just "tapping" the button you get a wee squirt. Hold that sucker down and you'll be complaining about bug juice streaming onto the driver's side window.

I used the voice a lot, but since the refreshed interface, it seems like the wiper function is easier to access. Sudden heavy rain? Press the stalk button to get the wipers going immediately, then select the speed on the pop-up menu. I don't bother with auto.

This is exactly the problem if you ask me. To rephrase your post... "Sudden heavy rain? Press the stalk button then take your eyes off the road to fidget with the touchscreen". And you live in *Florida*... sudden heavy rain happens there twice a day! ;)

I *really* wish we could press the stalk button and then scroll one of the wheels. Problem solved.