Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MASTER THREAD: Auto Wiper functionality, complaints, praise, etc.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm doing that too...for now. It's really starting to annoy me though. Wipers just turn on to level 3 all of a sudden while the sun is shining bright.
I personally haven't had my Auto Wipers turn on phantomly, just some Phantom braking. Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the Auto Wipers controlled by one of the front cameras not an actual rain sensor like in some cars? If so, then Phantom wipers are likely related to the same bug that gives us Phantom Braking.

I personally haven't had my Auto Wipers turn on phantomly, just some Phantom braking. Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the Auto Wipers controlled by one of the front cameras not an actual rain sensor like in some cars? If so, then Phantom wipers are likely related to the same bug that gives us Phantom Braking.

no rain sensors in the model 3. they use the front cameras to deciding how much it is raining....

Reactions: Wildcat84
my wife makes fun of my wipers constantly. It’s not rained for months in this area and still for no reason at all we’ll be at a stop light and ‘wish wish wish’ wipers start. That plus the gap in the roof on the passenger side. The wind tunnel noise over 50mph. This car needs so many QC fixes it’s nuts.

Reactions: BayAreaCelt
no rain sensors in the model 3. they use the front cameras to deciding how much it is raining....
You're sure? If so, I might put RainX on my windshield. My previous car with automatic wiper specifically mentioned not to put product like RainX because it would adversely affect the rain sensor.

Tesla has never used a physical rain sensor on the 3 or Y (and stopped using them on the S/X a while ago too IIRC)- it's all camera/AI only

For every "they're terrible" post, there's another "they're fine" post. Different persons have different tolerances for how many fluid droplets accumulate on the windscreen before wiping is perceived to be necessary. Some people will let water accumulate to a degree that others consider dangerous, or contrariwise some will prefer the wipers to be engaged at a point that others would describe as comically early. That's the very definition of it being a matter of personal preference.

For every "they're terrible" post, there's another "they're fine" post. Different persons have different tolerances for how many fluid droplets accumulate on the windscreen before wiping is perceived to be necessary. Some people will let water accumulate to a degree that others consider dangerous, or contrariwise some will prefer the wipers to be engaged at a point that others would describe as comically early. That's the very definition of it being a matter of personal preference.

time for a sensitivity/tolerance slider!

Reactions: father_of_6