Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MASTER THREAD: Auto Wiper functionality, complaints, praise, etc.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That advice is complete nonsense.

Individual cars do not "learn" individual behaviors.

(troubleshooting any vehicle would be a nightmare if they did- not to mention the cars don't have remotely enough compute available to do training of neural nets- Tesla literally had to design an entire system from scratch superior to any available supercomputer to take on that task going forward)

Your behavior with the wipers might well contribute to FLEET training in the long term, which may get reflected in a future software update pushed to the whole fleet- but it won't specifically help your car in particular ever.
This. All of this and twice on a Sunday.

do indeed refute the logic, rather than a poor jab which is unrelated to the specific use case, theres a wee lad.

It's directly related to the specific case.

Deiss was citing how Tesla builds cars 3 times faster than VW can manage to do. 10 hours instead of 30, and with far less workers to do it.

Less parts complexity is a key element of why
(not to mention a key element of why the margin on each car is 2-3x higher than VW)

If you wanna stick to personal attacks instead of the facts knock yourself out I guess. I'm sure VW would be happy to take your tesla as a trade in on an ID4 or whatever.

I really appreciate Tesla (love my Model 3!) and their disruptive, innovative technology. Not only have they made mass-produced modern practical electric cars a reality, they have made them extremely attractive. Everyone else is still playing catch-up.

But that does not mean every new idea that Tesla implements is a good one. And in my view, their approach to auto wipers has not been good. While it has improved with updates, the auto wipe function - and indeed the whole windshield wiper user interface for the car - is mediocre at best. I have owned econo cars with better wipers. It is the one real weak spot of the vehicle in my view.

Personally, my last car with autowipers was a Mazda 6 GT 2009. It had a sensivity adjustment but it did barely nothing. They were really frustrating to use and almost useless in winter. So far, the wipers have given me grief only once where there was enough water on the windshield to obstruct vision and I had to start them manually. I'll see how they work during winter with the snow and slush.

In the 3 last cars, including the current Model 3 I used ceramic coatings for the windshield which makes the need of wipers kind-of redundant, especially at speeds above 50Km/h. At slow speeds I use manual controls every now and then. The ceramic coating is a life saver.
I agree that the auto wipers functionality is mediocre at best in Tesla. ALL my previous cars, with the "standard" IR sensor were doing a much better job.

We get tons of rain here and I find the wiper menu to be so irritating. The button on the left stalk works ok, but it takes 3 button pushes to get the wiper selection I need! 1) Open menu 2) turn on wiper 3) select setting. And if the climate menu is up, pushing on the wiper button just hides it behind the climate menu...how stupid is that? The wiper menu stays on the screen approx. 7 seconds, while the climate menu stays on the screen for approx. 20 seconds. So that's an extra button push to turn off the climate menu. 1st world problems but common!?!?!!? Also, during cruise control, the car automatically decides on auto wiper mode if there's 1 drop of rain. So during CC my wipers are going on with a dry windshield! One more thing while driving with autopilot at night, the auto high beams turn on and it's not very accurate. Many times I am high beaming oncoming traffic or the rear of a car ahead...give me the option to do it or not!

We get tons of rain here and I find the wiper menu to be so irritating. The button on the left stalk works ok, but it takes 3 button pushes to get the wiper selection I need! 1) Open menu 2) turn on wiper 3) select setting. And if the climate menu is up, pushing on the wiper button just hides it behind the climate menu...how stupid is that? The wiper menu stays on the screen approx. 7 seconds, while the climate menu stays on the screen for approx. 20 seconds. So that's an extra button push to turn off the climate menu. 1st world problems but common!?!?!!? Also, during cruise control, the car automatically decides on auto wiper mode if there's 1 drop of rain. So during CC my wipers are going on with a dry windshield! One more thing while driving with autopilot at night, the auto high beams turn on and it's not very accurate. Many times I am high beaming oncoming traffic or the rear of a car ahead...give me the option to do it or not!
Just press the right steering wheel button and tell it to what level you want the wiper at. No need to touch the screen.

Set wipers to auto/1/2/3/4
Slow down wipers
Speed up wipers
Turn off wipers
Turn on wipers
Wipers Decrease
Wipers Increase
Wipers Max
Wipers Min

Are all commands understood regarding the wipers.

• Informative
Reactions: TBrownTX
Just press the right steering wheel button and tell it to what level you want the wiper at. No need to touch the screen.

Set wipers to auto/1/2/3/4
Slow down wipers
Speed up wipers
Turn off wipers
Turn on wipers
Wipers Decrease
Wipers Increase
Wipers Max
Wipers Min

Are all commands understood regarding the wipers.
Even better would be certain left stalk wiper button gestures. Something like 2 presses = on to last setting, 3 on to high. Something like that. I’m not a voice command fan. It’s clunky.

Even better would be certain left stalk wiper button gestures. Something like 2 presses = on to last setting, 3 on to high. Something like that. I’m not a voice command fan. It’s clunky.

Tesla needs to have a feature request website where people can vote on feature they would like to see implemented. Similar to what Microsoft does with Teams

Well we can agree to disagree on the "proven" technology. My last car had the IR sensor for wipers, and I still had to manually wipe every now and then, ESPECIALLY if the car was parked and I wanted to jump in, start the car, and drive away. Every time I had to wipe the windshield because I don't think the IR sensor realizes when the car is off and then turned on - that rain is even there (just my theory, anyway). This process hasn't changed that I'm aware of, in VWs. My 2016 Golf R had this issue, and my neighbor's 2019 e-Golf behaves identically.

Bottom line is I'm happier with my Model 3 wipers than my IR-based Golf's wipers. I don't doubt your experience with your wipers (way too many complaints on the matter to doubt that, along with the need for a neural net now), but it's not my experience, and I see my fair share of rain here in Seattle!
I have the same issue with current Passat, also similar with the BMW 630d GT I had before. I’ve owned multiple cars with auto screen wipe & honestly not one has been that great. I’ve never used the fast speed prior to auto wipers (including during tropical rainstorms in Africa), I find the wipers just skate over the water rather than clear it. Nowadays with auto I find the wipers trying to rip themselves off in frantic sweeping when the screen is barely wet🤷🏼‍♂️.
Be interesting to see what the M3LR ones are like when I collect on Monday. I will admit to some anxiety now over my car choice & none of it is about range. It’s the auto functions, TACC, lane assist etc. maybe I should just have bought an old Volvo 🤣🤣

I picked up my car in March and the entire time the auto wipers have worked great.

But now that its winter here in Toronto oh boy do they suck.
They don't turn on to clean the mist/salt that gets kicked up by cars.
And then after washing the windhshield, the wipers wont stop and end up going dry and smearing more crap across the windshield.

Reactions: ss71
I am not sure that the Model 3 auto-wipe function can ever be all that good with the hardware that Tesla has used for the vehicle. And as some have pointed out, even better hardware - as found in some other cars - still leaves auto-wipe not delivering accurate results in at least some circumstances.

An obvious, easy response would be better, more granular, manual controls in the UI for the wipers in the Model 3. A better design is child's-play to imagine - in 10 minutes of contemplation anyone can come up with a couple of fundamental improvements. It would take a skilled programmer maybe a week, if that, to modify the UI programming to incorporate such changes. And yet Tesla has just not bothered. It is the one aspect of the Model 3 that has bothered me. Love the vehicle - dislike the wiper controls.

Reactions: yale17
I am not sure that the Model 3 auto-wipe function can ever be all that good with the hardware that Tesla has used for the vehicle. And as some have pointed out, even better hardware - as found in some other cars - still leaves auto-wipe not delivering accurate results in at least some circumstances.

An obvious, easy response would be better, more granular, manual controls in the UI for the wipers in the Model 3. A better design is child's-play to imagine - in 10 minutes of contemplation anyone can come up with a couple of fundamental improvements. It would take a skilled programmer maybe a week, if that, to modify the UI programming to incorporate such changes. And yet Tesla has just not bothered. It is the one aspect of the Model 3 that has bothered me. Love the vehicle - dislike the wiper controls.
Simple voice command, set wiper more/less sensitive. Done.

Voice commands are not always ideal, and indeed do not always work, in all circumstances. A well designed manual interface is absolutely essential, including for safety purposes. Also, the need for further granularity in the controls transcends the issue of voice vs. manual interface.