Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery drain while parked or car in storage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Your vampire drain seems a bit high. You should check to see if there is anything turned on that is draining the battery while parked. If the car is never going completely to sleep you're going to lose about 1-2 miles an hour parked. At least that's the case with my car.

Looks like it may have indeed been Sentry Mode. I took out the card last night which yielded better more normal results. I took it out again tonight to see what happens.

Supposedly on the software update screen, if you tap "advanced" 5 times, it'll force it to check for an update.

Didn't work for me, but I found an avenue that did :D

Don't waste service's time. You'll get the update on it's own

After patiently waiting since last Saturday I submitted a service request yesterday and got an appt. Called the store today and told the delivery manager who transferred me to service and left a voicemail. 30 minutes later over Tesla LTE I got the option to download V10.1.. I postponed it till I got home as I didn't want t a break down at the office if the computer bricked. I'm happily on 10.1 now, got my 5% extra power and just canceled my appt :D

Sorry if this has been explained in other posts. I park at O'Hare Airport while traveling and over the past month for each trip, when I come back my car has lost 15-25 miles charge for each day I'm gone. I'm getting concerned that for a long trip, I'll come back to a car that has not enough range to drive home. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated!
Same here seeing 10-12 miles a day loss parked at the airport. I’m in a 3P and this is first time I’ve left it at the airport covered garage.

I have a 3P. Car was in condo garage while I was away for 6 days. I left Sentry Mode on and lost just under 1mph as expected. I checked it in on it once a day and graphed it

Attachments

• 369841CE-FB3D-4A6B-8BDB-AE9A1EE76847.jpeg
    369841CE-FB3D-4A6B-8BDB-AE9A1EE76847.jpeg
    23.5 KB · Views: 91
I have a 3P. Car was in condo garage while I was away for 6 days. I left Sentry Mode on and lost just under 1mph as expected. I checked it in on it once a day and graphed it

Nice data.

So extrapolating from this 21mpd for the 3P, the SR+ would have 245/219 * 21mpd = 23.5 miles per day of loss. The LR RWD, 22.5 miles per day. (245/219 is the ratio of the approximate charge constants...essentially converting to kWh and then back to miles for the other vehicle.)

The new 2020 3P+ with 20" wheels?

245/265*21mpd = 19.4 miles per day.

All the same energy per day of course, assuming no hardware changes. (5.15kWh per day; 215 (DC charging) watts)

Just came back from a 28 day trip. Left with 193 rated miles and came back to 163 rated miles. It was kept in a closed parking garage with temps around 55-60 degrees Fahrenheit. I probably checked the status about 4-5 times through the Tesla app which ended up waking the car. So if I didn't check it at all, I am guessing I would have better results. Based on this, there is no issue leaving it unplugged even for several months.

Reactions: KenC
2020 P3D- parked in home garage with Sentry off: I lose 1 mile per hour. It averages ~3 when parked somewhere with Sentry on.

That is impressive! Sounds like it is not sleeping at all. The parked somewhere number is more impressive, but since you are in Ohio, the effect of temperature could be confusing things depending on the time interval in question. If it is confusing and if you don’t know what is going on, be sure to post specific details.

2020 P3D- parked in home garage with Sentry off: I lose 1 mile per hour. It averages ~3 when parked somewhere with Sentry on.
Same thing happening to me. Have a 2020 P3D- and at home it's losing about .6 miles per hour. This is with Sentry off, not checking the app, nothing else on. It is parked outside in about 40 degree temperature, but this seems to have started with a recent update. When I look at the phantom drain from the graphs on the Stats app, it was averaging about 0.3 mph of drain the last 2 weeks of December and is now averaging 0.6 mph of drain. Nothing else has changed since then...

Same thing happening to me. Have a 2020 P3D- and at home it's losing about .6 miles per hour. This is with Sentry off, not checking the app, nothing else on. It is parked outside in about 40 degree temperature, but this seems to have started with a recent update. When I look at the phantom drain from the graphs on the Stats app, it was averaging about 0.3 mph of drain the last 2 weeks of December and is now averaging 0.6 mph of drain. Nothing else has changed since then...

Make sure you don't have a bad wifi connection or a pending update. Some people reported poor wifi connection to their home network causes drains on the car. Where I park, I dont have access to a wifi network and I even lose LTE connection sometimes since it is in the P2 level of the parking garage which causes the car not to wake up. Its bad when I try to check anything remotely but its good for the drain I guess.

Make sure you don't have a bad wifi connection or a pending update. Some people reported poor wifi connection to their home network causes drains on the car. Where I park, I dont have access to a wifi network and I even lose LTE connection sometimes since it is in the P2 level of the parking garage which causes the car not to wake up. Its bad when I try to check anything remotely but its good for the drain I guess.

Wifi connection is adequate at the location it's parked. This all just started happening within the last couple weeks though, that's the odd part. It's always been parked in the same location. Prior to this happening, the first few weeks I owned the car (beginning of December) it was sleeping all the time while at home. Nothing else has changed since then, so I don't know what would be causing it besides one of the 40.50.x updates. It coincidentally started behaving this way around the time the update was first pushed.