Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MASTER THREAD: Comprehensive Road-Course Modification Guide — Optimizing the 3 for the track

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's a strange move. Why?

Unhappy with the diameter options in 18" 100tw track tires. I've run 2 events on ~25" and going to a 26.5" now to keep the drive motor RPMs more normal.

As far as the width, I have never been able to best a session's first hot lap after it in the same session because of the battery soak and just don't think there's anyway the 295s are getting to temp by T1, so this will expedite temp.

I'm not sure a 26.5" 295 would fit, either, if I could even find one. If the car lasted a whole session I'd work with 295s probably but I'm doubting they're ideal for Time Attack competition and want to give this a try.

Correct I'm mostly focused on dry racing. I don't care too much about 200 TW vs 100 TW, just not ready for slicks.

Anyone else ran the AR-1 to know how long they last? Assuming they are definitely gripper than Federals or RS4s.
Not sure longevity, but a052 are very sticky and communicative. Faster than cup2 and much better on the wet. I wouldn't expect many cycles out of it and most probably wear out too fast on the street compare to cup2.

Reactions: Zextraterrestrial
Correct I'm mostly focused on dry racing. I don't care too much about 200 TW vs 100 TW, just not ready for slicks.

Anyone else ran the AR-1 to know how long they last? Assuming they are definitely gripper than Federals or RS4s.

I don't have mine in front of me to take a pic but I barely put a dent in them in a weekend. My new set I had heat cycled because I hope to cord them and report back how they do over the life testing at Hallett.

Unhappy with the diameter options in 18" 100tw track tires. I've run 2 events on ~25" and going to a 26.5" now to keep the drive motor RPMs more normal.

As far as the width, I have never been able to best a session's first hot lap after it in the same session because of the battery soak and just don't think there's anyway the 295s are getting to temp by T1, so this will expedite temp.

I'm not sure a 26.5" 295 would fit, either, if I could even find one. If the car lasted a whole session I'd work with 295s probably but I'm doubting they're ideal for Time Attack competition and want to give this a try.
295x35 r18 a052 is 26.2 and with slight camber and front spacers it fits well. They also get up to temp reasonably fast, but it always makes sense to do a few hard stop before the run. Another good thing of that size - you sit at perfect hot pressure for compound and for load rating.

I also found out that 275x35 r19 cup2 going to overheat earlier than brakes or car.

Last edited:
I logged 2.0g on the AR1s at Gridlife NOLA a couple weeks ago for the first time out...they are for real. I just had another set delivered today heat cycled from Phil's.

I'm selling my 1-weekend old 295 18" set and going to 275/19". They're mounted on bronze 18x10 Apex EC7s also just a weekend old if anyone is interested.

What is the exact size of the 295 18" set, 295/35/18?

Hankook RS4 last forever but heat up slowly and are scary when cold. Don't recommend.

Federal RS-PRO is my go-to tire right now - good balance of wear, speed, and fast warm-up.

Hey guys, jumping in head first with my autox/time trial build, I have the full MPP shocks/arms set up on order. 18x10.5 wheels on order, trying to decide on tire sizing.

Mash, am I understanding your signature correctly that you have 10mm front spacers? Do the 295 A052's fit without fender rolling?
I'm switching to 19s to maintain 26.5" diameter and take out a bit of sidewall. It's a hunch so I can't really vouch for it yet, just make sure you stay close to that diameter to keep the drive motors in their peak efficiency range (and reduce heat).

Hey guys, jumping in head first with my autox/time trial build, I have the full MPP shocks/arms set up on order. 18x10.5 wheels on order, trying to decide on tire sizing.

Mash, am I understanding your signature correctly that you have 10mm front spacers? Do the 295 A052's fit without fender rolling?
295 35 a052 fit on 18x10.5 with 10mm spacers on et25 wheels without fender rolling, but you need something like -2 camber or more to fit it inside front fenders. And 10mm spacers would need hub ring repeater, because no hub left at this point and wheels won't be stable without it. Certainly you also need longer studs. Like the one from my signature.