Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MASTER THREAD: Comprehensive Road-Course Modification Guide — Optimizing the 3 for the track

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Of course, as you know Unplugged uses dedicated braking systems, it was my curiosity if it was possible to achieve a satisfactory result only with brake lines and racing pads, perhaps for those who in the future will only be on the track to do "track days".
Like I say, there are many variables involved. You need to get some practical experience of driving the cars on the tracks you're going to use. That will answer your questions. Do you have any teams who have committed to the series yet? Is this all happening in Italy?

Like I say, there are many variables involved. You need to get some practical experience of driving the cars on the tracks you're going to use. That will answer your questions. Do you have any teams who have committed to the series yet? Is this all happening in Italy?
Yes, there are 10 teams that have joined, some with a car some with 2. But there is still room for you if you want ... :cool:

In Italy for the first year, but it will be a European championship in the future!

Yes, I am part of it!

Sorry, I realized that I had the google translator activated and it "translated" my previous post into Italian before sending, I rewrite it:

"Out of curiosity, has anyone used the original calipers on the track + track pads with good results (I'm talking about full 20 minutes stints)? Obviously in the original conformation they are not usable, but the disc and the caliper are not bad (I'm talking about Performance), I was wondering if using racing brake lines and racing pads the result was enough.

Just out of curiosity, we have obviously chosen a complete racing system in the championship that will start in 2021."
Yes, I am part of it!

Sorry, I realized that I had the google translator activated and it "translated" my previous post into Italian before sending, I rewrite it:

"Out of curiosity, has anyone used the original calipers on the track + track pads with good results (I'm talking about full 20 minutes stints)? Obviously in the original conformation they are not usable, but the disc and the caliper are not bad (I'm talking about Performance), I was wondering if using racing brake lines and racing pads the result was enough.

Just out of curiosity, we have obviously chosen a complete racing system in the championship that will start in 2021."
I dont know if it would be safe long term to run it 20 min straight.

Yes, there are 10 teams that have joined, some with a car some with 2. But there is still room for you if you want ... :cool:

In Italy for the first year, but it will be a European championship in the future!
So why have you or the teams not already tested to find out what is or isn't possible? That's the only way to find out as none of us here know which tracks you intend to be on or what the specification of the cars will be.

You say on the website:
"E-STC will follow you throughout the purchase process. The car will be delivered by the parent company, while the unplugged kit can be installed on the car by our partners or delivered to the Team headquarters. Nothing else will be needed to set up the car

There will be continuous assistance from E-STC, Unplugged Performance and the service on track, to help the teams in the best way at the beginning of this adventure."

So what is the "Unplugged kit" and why are they not answering your questions? It seems very strange you need to come on here and ask the most basic questions about how the brakes work. Sorry, but something doesn't add up.

Last edited:
Sorry, definitely my English is not good .. but I think my request was clear. I was asking for my curiosity, knowing quite well the reaction of the cars on the track (we are organizers of 17 of the main categories in Italy) and seeing a great discussion on the pads, I was curious to know if in the future we can propose days for "road" cars for fun, because it is certainly not possible with the factory system and pads.

For us it makes no sense to do this test on the track, it is certainly not suitable for the level of what we do, so I tell you it was just curiosity thinking about more amateur levels, honestly we are trying something else.
Answering your question in the coming weeks we will be on track with Brembo to try out different solutions, some very "extreme", I will be happy to share the results with you!

Our cars, however, arrived this week.

Sorry, definitely my English is not good .. but I think my request was clear. I was asking for my curiosity, knowing quite well the reaction of the cars on the track (we are organizers of 17 of the main categories in Italy) and seeing a great discussion on the pads, I was curious to know if in the future we can propose days for "road" cars for fun, because it is certainly not possible with the factory system and pads.

For us it makes no sense to do this test on the track, it is certainly not suitable for the level of what we do, so I tell you it was just curiosity thinking about more amateur levels, honestly we are trying something else.
Answering your question in the coming weeks we will be on track with Brembo to try out different solutions, some very "extreme", I will be happy to share the results with you!

Our cars, however, arrived this week.
Dates? Circuits? Teams? All secret?

Dates? Circuits? Teams? All secret?
Of course, you can see our championships on the website www.formulaxitalianseries.it or on social networks (Formula X Racing Weekend and E-STC Series)!

I am attaching the calendar in its final version and the teams. If you need more information I'm at your disposal!

Attachments

• Teams.png
    Teams.png
    650.9 KB · Views: 100
  • calendario ESTC Sprint copia.png
    calendario ESTC Sprint copia.png
    476.9 KB · Views: 79
Of course, you can see our championships on the website www.formulaxitalianseries.it or on social networks (Formula X Racing Weekend and E-STC Series)!

I am attaching the calendar in its final version and the teams. If you need more information I'm at your disposal!
I am fully supportive of anyone trying to organise any form of motorsport for EVs and particularly Model 3s ;)

But it's very unclear from your website and social media how you're running the series, what the rules are, how much it costs etc. etc.There is plenty of marketing material on your websites but no substance. And then you ask the simplest questions here about whether the brakes will last 20 laps.

Nobody would sign up to a series based on what you've said so far.
Who is paying for the Model 3s? Do teams rent them from you?

I'd love to see 10+ Model 3s racing in Imola in July, but based on what you've said so far, forgive me for being sceptical it's going to happen. For a start, expecting a Model 3 to do more than a few laps of a 3 mile long, very fast circuit without extensive modifications is doubtful in itself.

I am fully supportive of anyone trying to organise any form of motorsport for EVs and particularly Model 3s ;)

But it's very unclear from your website and social media how you're running the series, what the rules are, how much it costs etc. etc.There is plenty of marketing material on your websites but no substance. And then you ask the simplest questions here about whether the brakes will last 20 laps.

Nobody would sign up to a series based on what you've said so far.
Who is paying for the Model 3s? Do teams rent them from you?

I'd love to see 10+ Model 3s racing in Imola in July, but based on what you've said so far, forgive me for being sceptical it's going to happen. For a start, expecting a Model 3 to do more than a few laps of a 3 mile long, very fast circuit without extensive modifications is doubtful in itself.
Well, it's a sports series, there are a lot of things that are for the insiders and not put in the "public", the site is mainly for fans, journalists etc. If you look at what's in our other categories (which, as I repeat, form the largest Racing Weekend in Italy), the sites are very similar. We do not publicly disclose the costs of registration, tires etc .. simply because they are "service" information, we give all this information directly to the teams (if you are interested, leave me an email address and I will forward everything).

Those who want to participate contact us and receive all the information, financial and regulations (which as always are issued by the Italian federation, not by us), but these are "technical" things that honestly are of little interest to fans.

However, the cars are bought by the teams (they have already been purchased and arrived in Italy, so .. for sure you will see more than 10 Model 3s in Imola in July, buy the plane tickets, you are my guest!) ;)

I repeat that the question about the brakes was only to think about future amateur "side events", for those who have the original car in the box and want to come and do some laps on the track.

For racing cars we obviously don't care, the Kit is already defined for this:

- Unplugged aerodynamic kit, suspensions and shock absorbers
- Brembo racing brakes
- OZ rims made specifically for E-STC
- OMP safety devices
- Telemetry and multifunction racing steering wheel made specifically for E-STC
- Interior and exterior carbon details (door panels, tunnels, roof etc)
etc

The car still runs 20 minutes on the track (the duration of our Sprint races) without any problem, but also in any case there is a limitation of the power that the race direction can impose , actually inserted mainly for promotional events, but if needed it can also be used in the race). If you want to browse there is a series in Japan that is also run with Model 3 and also runs over 60-70km, obviously with some battery management by the drivers (which is also in Formula E). :)

Reactions: bhzmark and Dave EV
Well, it's a sports series, there are a lot of things that are for the insiders and not put in the "public", the site is mainly for fans, journalists etc. If you look at what's in our other categories (which, as I repeat, form the largest Racing Weekend in Italy), the sites are very similar. We do not publicly disclose the costs of registration, tires etc .. simply because they are "service" information, we give all this information directly to the teams (if you are interested, leave me an email address and I will forward everything).

Those who want to participate contact us and receive all the information, financial and regulations (which as always are issued by the Italian federation, not by us), but these are "technical" things that honestly are of little interest to fans.

However, the cars are bought by the teams (they have already been purchased and arrived in Italy, so .. for sure you will see more than 10 Model 3s in Imola in July, buy the plane tickets, you are my guest!) ;)

I repeat that the question about the brakes was only to think about future amateur "side events", for those who have the original car in the box and want to come and do some laps on the track.

For racing cars we obviously don't care, the Kit is already defined for this:

- Unplugged aerodynamic kit, suspensions and shock absorbers
- Brembo racing brakes
- OZ rims made specifically for E-STC
- OMP safety devices
- Telemetry and multifunction racing steering wheel made specifically for E-STC
- Interior and exterior carbon details (door panels, tunnels, roof etc)
etc

The car still runs 20 minutes on the track (the duration of our Sprint races) without any problem, but also in any case there is a limitation of the power that the race direction can impose , actually inserted mainly for promotional events, but if needed it can also be used in the race). If you want to browse there is a series in Japan that is also run with Model 3 and also runs over 60-70km, obviously with some battery management by the drivers (which is also in Formula E). :)

The series sounds very cool and exciting! You absolutely will not be able to run the cars at full power for 20 minutes, but as you stated the series in Japan is "managing" the battery draw with their right foot, so I would expect the same, and it will be fun nonetheless.

To answer your question - it really depends on what tires you're running. A Max Performance Summer like the PS4S, you should have no problem. Hardcore 200TW/R-Compounds could pose a problem. The issue is really that the caliper seals will melt the first event, and they were just not designed for the abuse. The rotors are just too thin to handle a lot of thermal load. Model S Calipers + Rotors + Track pads is a cheap, albeit heavy, solution.

• Informative
Reactions: SummerlinChiro
@LP99 If you can limit the power by maybe 30-50%, you can definitely extend the run time by quite a bit. I had a track day that was ruined by bad weather, so I was just running around doing different things at different levels as a test. I found the car to be able to handle 15+ minutes in chill mode. Obviously the problem is that the car is so slow that it is not worth driving. I increased my pace, lap times dropped dramatically but the battery got warm. If you can limit the output electronically, it would make it easier to manage. The question is how much drop, I am guessing the output has to be less than what the car is running at 10% SOC. The reason I say this is because I started my last session at 30% SOC, the car still overheated by lap 1.75 despite not having the same power as 90 or 100%. Just as a reference, my lap time was as follows

90% Cool Battery 1:42
50% Cool Battery Low 1:45
30% Cool Battery High 1:45
60% Cool Battery Chill Mode 1:54
Cool down lap with not much throttle or brake around the track 1:55

Reactions: Lindenwood
Dear Tesla Model 3 community!
First of all let me thank you for all information given in this thread. It made me want to buy m3p and to use it in the most exciting way!

Let me share "Trackhawk" M3P Tesla build project with you. Story done by some teasers in 4k with appropriate music coverage.
Still a lot to do before 1st stage of National TimeAttack series, and few months before ESTC series (yes we are going to take part in it).

Last week stage: working on suspension, aero, wheels fitment etc...

How it begins a month ago:

One day (and night) of my team from 2019:

More to come - brakes, cooling, aero, safety etc.

P.S. I am apologize in advance if a brake any rules, if it should be posted in separate thread- I'll do it.

Dear Tesla Model 3 community!
First of all let me thank you for all information given in this thread. It made me want to buy m3p and to use it in the most exciting way!

Let me share "Trackhawk" M3P Tesla build project with you. Story done by some teasers in 4k with appropriate music coverage.
Still a lot to do before 1st stage of National TimeAttack series, and few months before ESTC series (yes we are going to take part in it).

Last week stage: working on suspension, aero, wheels fitment etc...

How it begins a month ago:

One day (and night) of my team from 2019:

More to come - brakes, cooling, aero, safety etc.

P.S. I am apologize in advance if a brake any rules, if it should be posted in separate thread- I'll do it.
We need more ex Evo X racers here!
Please, make your build thread - I'm sure it's worth it.

Now diet, assembly with racing parts and will soon be on track ... official presentation at the Monza racetrack in April! The event will be streamed, also in English ... if the forum rules allow it, I will post the Link here! :cool:

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2021-03-18 at 16.39.46 (2).jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2021-03-18 at 16.39.46 (2).jpeg
    217.6 KB · Views: 61
  • WhatsApp Image 2021-03-18 at 16.39.46 (1).jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2021-03-18 at 16.39.46 (1).jpeg
    244.2 KB · Views: 56
  • WhatsApp Image 2021-03-18 at 16.39.45.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2021-03-18 at 16.39.45.jpeg
    273.3 KB · Views: 54
  • WhatsApp Image 2021-03-18 at 16.39.46.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2021-03-18 at 16.39.46.jpeg