Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MASTER THREAD: Comprehensive Road-Course Modification Guide — Optimizing the 3 for the track

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Schroth: I wanted to mention that the Schroth BMW E90 Quick-Fit Harness does work in the Model 3. Shout-out to our fellow forum members for figuring this out. I have been happy with mine. It keeps me tight in the seat and allows me to use my HANS. Given the lack of bolstering on the Model 3 seat this is a great solution.
Can you tell me where you mounted the permanent anchors in the Model 3? I am a paraplegic with little core strength, I use hand-controls, and I need more support and stability than the stock Tesla provides. The Schroth harness seems to eb the key!

• Love
Reactions: Zextraterrestrial
Schroth: I wanted to mention that the Schroth BMW E90 Quick-Fit Harness does work in the Model 3. Shout-out to our fellow forum members for figuring this out. I have been happy with mine. It keeps me tight in the seat and allows me to use my HANS. Given the lack of bolstering on the Model 3 seat this is a great solution.
Can you tell me where you mounted the permanent anchors in the Model 3? I am a paraplegic with little core strength, I use hand-controls, and I need more support and stability than the stock Tesla provides. The Schroth harness seems to eb the key!

Info is here: Tesla Model 3 DM Performance - Autocross/Time Trial Build for USCA (Optima)

SPL Parts offers upper rear arms and traction links. Anyone replaced those yet? It would definitely increase noise and harshness in the car, but would there be actual performance benefits for doing so?

These are different from the rear lower and toe links that are needed for adjustability with an aftermarket suspension

SPL Parts offers upper rear arms and traction links. Anyone replaced those yet? It would definitely increase noise and harshness in the car, but would there be actual performance benefits for doing so?

These are different from the rear lower and toe links that are needed for adjustability with an aftermarket suspension
Something to consider... SPL Parts controls arms do NOT use sealed bearings.

Something to consider... SPL Parts controls arms do NOT use sealed bearings.

I asked them about that, got the response of "never had good luck with after market sealed bearings actually staying sealed, by leaving them unsealed it's easier to apply other protective coatings / grease etc and do upkeep as opposed to relying on seal and being screwed when they get particulate inside them"

I asked them about that, got the response of "never had good luck with after market sealed bearings actually staying sealed, by leaving them unsealed it's easier to apply other protective coatings / grease etc and do upkeep as opposed to relying on seal and being screwed when they get particulate inside them"

The CTCC teams I have worked on had to budget replacing around $500 worth of those rod ends every few races, so I can certainly attest to the benefit of sealed bearings. Grease just causes the dirt and grit to stick to them. After replacing them regularly and realigning the cars each time, you could say the trauma was a factor in our bearing selection! We also have a lifetime warranty on our arms, so if you do find your seal has torn and the bearing has developed play, just give us a shout and we will send you a new bearing! There is a reason you will find the very same sealed bearings on a 911 GT2 RS, Porsche knows what they are doing.

The CTCC teams I have worked on had to budget replacing around $500 worth of those rod ends every few races, so I can certainly attest to the benefit of sealed bearings. Grease just causes the dirt and grit to stick to them. After replacing them regularly and realigning the cars each time, you could say the trauma was a factor in our bearing selection! We also have a lifetime warranty on our arms, so if you do find your seal has torn and the bearing has developed play, just give us a shout and we will send you a new bearing! There is a reason you will find the very same sealed bearings on a 911 GT2 RS, Porsche knows what they are doing.

What bushing material does MPP use? (Rubber or PTFE)

Notice that MPP doesn't offer the other 2 rear links (lower/traction). What's the reason you don't feel those are necessary?

What bushing material does MPP use? (Rubber or PTFE)

Notice that MPP doesn't offer the other 2 rear links (lower/traction). What's the reason you don't feel those are necessary?

I think SPL was referring to these, and he's right they aren't amazing.

Abgedichtet-Kaleidoskop.jpg

We use sealed cross-axis joints, there is no rubber at all. They are sealed and lubricated and offer high torque transmission with zero deflection. This type of bearing is very common on high-end German cars and they last a very long time. In our opinion, it is the only type of bearing suitable for a street car.

Camber-Arms-3.jpg

We have sold around 400 sets of arms and not had a single warranty claim!

For the last question, you'll just have to wait and see ;)

@MasterC17 what is the cost of stock P3D+ rotors and how do I order them? I have left messages for the service center but they have not returned my calls. Thanks again for the comprehensive list of available parts.

They are $165 each. I would make an appointment in your Mobile App and just put in the notes that you want to purchase 2x 1044616-00-D (P/N for the rotors). You are unlikely to get a call back. The app is your best bet. Show up on the appointment date and they should be there waiting for you (in theory lol).

• Informative
Reactions: SD_Engnr
They are $165 each. I would make an appointment in your Mobile App and just put in the notes that you want to purchase 2x 1044616-00-D (P/N for the rotors). You are unlikely to get a call back. The app is your best bet. Show up on the appointment date and they should be there waiting for you (in theory lol).

Thanks for the price and part number. I am a long way from the nearest SC, but that might be my only choice.

We use sealed cross-axis joints, there is no rubber at all. They are sealed and lubricated and offer high torque transmission with zero deflection. This type of bearing is very common on high-end German cars and they last a very long time. In our opinion, it is the only type of bearing suitable for a street car.

Camber-Arms-3.jpg

I don't see how dirt could get into these sealed bearings. There had to be some physical damage for that to happen.

An update to my quest for P3D+ rotors. Called parts department many times, and you are right, no return call. So, I selected the “sales” option and someone answered immediately. Very nice guy gave me the name and email for someone in service. He emailed me back saying he would forward my request to the parts department. All this was around thanksgiving. A few days after thanksgiving I got an email from the parts guy confirming my order. They will mail the rotors to me. He said the best way to order in the future was to email the parts department rather than him directly. This was the Nashville service center. In case you use Nashville, The email is:

[email protected]

Installed MPP rotors and EV tuning XT970 front pads and XT910 rear pads. Huge upgrade from stock brakes. Initial pedal feel is a bit softer and much lighter feel all the way to the floor. You can brake very hard with just your big toe. Front brakes now feel like they have more bias, so it needs more rear bias. Perhaps going full track pad like the XT970 for the rear will help. No brake noise at all when coming to a stop and the super cold weather does not affect braking much.

Reactions: Lindenwood

Camber-Arms-3.jpg

And the overall quality of the MPP toe and Camber arms is just amazing. They look great particularly combined with the coilovers. Looking forward to getting the traction and trailing arms to finish off the rear suspension.