Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MASTER THREAD: Comprehensive Road-Course Modification Guide — Optimizing the 3 for the track

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The power drop with RPM is why I am debating switching to 19" wheels. 265-35-19 is a 4% higher diameter than 265-35-18 I currently use. Trying to evaluate what matters more, unsprung weight savings of 18" vs the lower motor rpm for more power

Why not just go with 265/40/18's? I actually prefer the Federal 595RS-PRO's over the Hankook RS4's, FWIW.

• Informative
Reactions: Zextraterrestrial
I meant to paste this, but forgot when I compare a second hotlap to first hotlap

upload_2020-6-15_9-47-21.png

This is my issue with the car. If I don't get a clear track on lap 1, I know my power would be compromised (Red is 2nd hotlap green is 1st). With a car as fast as the Model 3, it's way too easy to catch up and be blocked by people. It's like playing Russian roulette, you just don't know what you are going to get. I remember pacing myself for a lap to get space and lower battery temp later in the session, but the battery turned orange as soon as I got on the front straight and I was down 30% in SOC. There was no point.

This is the 2nd lap vs 6th lap. I spent 2 laps prior cooling the car/brakes and avoiding traffic. I need to dig up the SOC info, but I bet I was at about 50-60%

upload_2020-6-15_9-53-28.png

• Informative
Reactions: Lindenwood
I didn't see anything in this thread about disabling traction control or stability for non M3Ps. I am just looking into tracking the car (LR RWD) but I am worried that it'll be very hamstrung with all the nannies enabled.

For autocross, certainly. It's trivial to cause traction control to kick in and not let you apply power. Still fun.

For a road course, the main issue the lack of over clocked cooling making the motor overheat.

I believe MPP is making a party box to disable traction control, not sure about the cooling part.

Anyone ever ran buttonwillow, streets of willow etc during july/August?

With 105F track days, how does the model3 keep up with cooling? Got to imagine it struggles somewhat in that heat.

It will probably start overheating after 2 or 3 laps. You can drive in to pit lane and let it cool down for a minute and that should get you another 2 to 3 laps before it begins to overheat again.

• Informative
Well, we know that power drops with SOC as shown by MPP, and we also know that power drops off fairly linearly over ~50mph, slowly dropping the faster you go (that's what you get with a single gear transmission).

That being said, I've set some of my fastest laps starting around ~72% and ending just above 60%. Under 60%, the power drops off considerably and the car goes into "Miata Mode".

We also know that there isn't a huge gap in the power below ~40mph, but the gap increases quickly to ~50mph, and then that delta holds throughout the power curve.

With VIR being such a long track (3.27 miles), I usually try to warm up from pit-out to the last few corners and then try to set a fast lap during one of the next two laps. Coming in for a cool-down in the pits do seem to be pretty effective in quickly reducing temperatures.

You just drove better at the later laps. The car simply has more HP at high SOC, it will be faster as long as you drive the same. I don't know if the big power drop was from battery temp or lower SOC, but the difference is there.

To put it in visually, you can see on my phone what the gap is between my first lap vs my second lap. Every time I hit a straight away, my gap shrinks even though I drove better through the corners.

You just drove better at the later laps. The car simply has more HP at high SOC, it will be faster as long as you drive the same. I don't know if the big power drop was from battery temp or lower SOC, but the difference is there.

To put it in visually, you can see on my phone what the gap is between my first lap vs my second lap. Every time I hit a straight away, my gap shrinks even though I drove better through the corners.

Hmm, it looks like the battery was orange almost immediately into the lap. Power should be pretty consistent from 100%-70%, I'm pretty sure your power loss was attributed to overheating. What was ambient temp and humidity?

Also, are you "pre-cooling" the battery by turning Track Mode on 10 minutes before your session? If not, I bet that will help you quite a bit.

Hmm, it looks like the battery was orange almost immediately into the lap. Power should be pretty consistent from 100%-70%, I'm pretty sure your power loss was attributed to overheating. What was ambient temp and humidity?

Also, are you "pre-cooling" the battery by turning Track Mode on 10 minutes before your session? If not, I bet that will help you quite a bit.

it was about 80F, 40 humidity, I did leave my AC on, yes I did precool the battery in track mode. I am sure I can get more power back by having the temp down. Still, 20HP is 20HP, all things equal, it's nearly impossible to make up that time difference unless you drive better

I didn't see anything in this thread about disabling traction control or stability for non M3Ps. I am just looking into tracking the car (LR RWD) but I am worried that it'll be very hamstrung with all the nannies enabled.

Here are my fastest LR RWD laps with and without the MPP Partybox. Disabling the nannies makes a significant difference.

I installed the dorman 610-490 extended wheel studs all around in preparation for 18x11 wheels. The fronts are super easy, the rears were tricky. It seemed like there was only one spot where you can get the longer ones in and out and I had to grind a flat onto them as well. The picture shows the correct orientation for the hub. To start the stud it has to go up into that pocket angled down into the hub.
20200717_152744.jpg

I installed the dorman 610-490 extended wheel studs all around in preparation for 18x11 wheels. The fronts are super easy, the rears were tricky. It seemed like there was only one spot where you can get the longer ones in and out and I had to grind a flat onto them as well. The picture shows the correct orientation for the hub. To start the stud it has to go up into that pocket angled down into the hub.
View attachment 566187

Yeah the rear was a pain. I was able to sneak them through without angling them down, but it wasn't easy. A stud that is 5mm shorter would be a much more simple installation.

If someone is looking for a project one thing the community could use would be a directory of race tracks and what plugs are available there. Like plugshare but race track specific. Not what is nearby but what's actually at the track and where. Recently I came across some nonstandard plugs at Bristol and COTA.

20200719_115214.jpg 20200719_115251.jpg