Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MASTER THREAD: Comprehensive Road-Course Modification Guide — Optimizing the 3 for the track

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got my cobalt XR2 pads in...am I crazy in thinking the rear pad shape is completely wrong for model 3 performance? Here they are side by side

20210326_194312.jpg

Now diet, assembly with racing parts and will soon be on track ... official presentation at the Monza racetrack in April! The event will be streamed, also in English ... if the forum rules allow it, I will post the Link here! :cool:

@LP99 Did you strip the parts out just for the track day and plan to re-install them back after for daily use or it's a dedicated track car? Do share the link please!

@MasterC17 Newbie here, but would love to maximize my 2021 M3P for the upcoming track day in 2 months. Is it necessary to get trailing arms, control arms, traction arms (whatever those arms MPP and UP is selling)? What are the benefits or differences between those parts vs the stock arms? Looking at the photos from their website, the only visual differences I can see are the colors and the bushing.

@MasterC17 Newbie here, but would love to maximize my 2021 M3P for the upcoming track day in 2 months. Is it necessary to get trailing arms, control arms, traction arms (whatever those arms MPP and UP is selling)? What are the benefits or differences between those parts vs the stock arms? Looking at the photos from their website, the only visual differences I can see are the colors and the bushing.

IF you are tracking the car I would strongly recommend camber arms front and rear. The other arms are nice, but not necessary. The camber arms are needed unless you like shredding the outer edges of tires and have an unlimited tire $ budget. MPP products and customer service are superb.

Registration for this spring:
Smells Like TT Spirit
SCCA - North Carolina Region
When: Apr 24, 2021 - Apr 25, 2021
Where: NCCAR , Garysburg, NC

Track Night 2021: VIRginia International Raceway - May 19
May 19, 2021, 01:00 PM - 09:00 PM EDT

2021 THSCC Southern Fried HPDE
Tarheel Sports Car Club
Saturday, May 29 — Sunday, May 30, 2021

Will be able to try all the MPP parts I bought and the new tires/wheels

IF you are tracking the car I would strongly recommend camber arms front and rear. The other arms are nice, but not necessary. The camber arms are needed unless you like shredding the outer edges of tires and have an unlimited tire $ budget. MPP products and customer service are superb.
@butterscotch This is what no front camber does in an autocross enduro
IMG_3914.JPG

Getting ready for a Gridlife event next weekend. Going to be running in the Street class with the Tesla as my K24 swapped E36 is still not ready for GLTC. Should be fun. Have coilovers, control arms and a front lip on the way from Unplugged which will hopefully be here in time.

Test fitting some wheels from one of my race cars that fit well enough. These are Volk TE37's in 18x10.5 +22 with 285 35 18 RS4's. Tires will be 255 35 18 Falken RT660's for the event.

Attachments

• IMG_3064.jpg
    IMG_3064.jpg
    460.5 KB · Views: 129
  • IMG_3067.jpg
    IMG_3067.jpg
    524.6 KB · Views: 134
  • IMG_3068.jpg
    IMG_3068.jpg
    517.5 KB · Views: 156

Too bad the article doesn’t go into the details of that the mods are..

It is an Unplugged package.

Happy to answer this. The winning Taisan x UP car uses the following UP parts which are almost exactly the same as what we had last year when we won the full season of JEVRA (All Japan EV Grand Prix). Total retail cost of all mods (including the expensive carbon ceramic big brake kit (BFB kit) is $19k (excluding wheels/tires). The Porsche Taycan Turbo S was a nearly brand new car. It ran on Hoosier radial slicks.
The UP tuned Model 3 also set the Tesla lap record at Fuji Speedway with a 1:55.7 (we also have the Tesla lap record at Tsukuba).

During the race the Porsche was the only car faster in terms of fastest lap with a 1:55.9 and in the race the UP Model 3's fastest lap was a 1:56.2

Here's the mod list:

Suspension:
Race Spec Coilovers:
Race Spec Coilover Suspension Kit for Tesla Model 3

Adjustable Billet Front Upper Control Arms:
Adjustable Front Upper Control Arms - Ultimate Edition for Tesla Model 3 and Model Y - Unplugged Performance

3 Way Adjustable Sway Bar Set:
Adjustable Sway Bars for Tesla Model 3 - Unplugged Performance

Adjustable billet rear camber arms:
Unplugged Performance Adjustable Front Upper Control Arms for Model 3

Adjustable billet rear toe arms:
Unplugged Performance Adjustable Rear Toe Arms for Model 3

These three items were added recently however:

Billet Height-Adjustable Rear Spring Arms
Billet Height-Adjustable Rear Spring Arms - Ultimate Edition for Tesla Model 3 and Tesla Model Y - Unplugged Performance

Billet Rear Traction Arms (production gen 2 version of our gen 1 2018 prototype parts)
Billet Rear Trailing Arms (production gen 2 version of our gen 1 2018 prototype parts)

Brakes:
Rear competition brake pads:
Tesla Model 3 Competition Brake Pad Set - Unplugged Performance

Steel braided brake lines:
Stainless Steel Sport Brake Line Set for Tesla Model 3 - Unplugged Performance

The BFB Kit – 6 Piston Carbon Ceramic Big Brakes (with competition pads)
The BFB Kit - Superlight Carbon Ceramic Front Big Brake Kit for Tesla Model 3 - Unplugged Performance

Cooling/Service:
Enduro Drive Unit Oil Cooler and Magenetic Filter for Front and Rear Drive Units
Enduro Drive Unit Oil Cooler And Magnetic Filter for Tesla Model 3 and Tesla Model Y - Unplugged Performance

Exterior:
Ascension Front Fascia:
Ascension Front Fascia System for Tesla Model 3

Wheels & Tires by Yokohama Advan exact specs unknown as they were selected by Taisan and their long time partners at Yokohama Japan but I do know width is 295 front/rear

This is also a good primer on Tesla road corse modifications by The Smoking Tire's Matt Farah that came out today. We managed to turn a historic Tesla skeptic into someone who was very impressed with canyon driving of the Model 3 and compares it to a 911 Turbo in the cayons in terms of speed.

Reactions: Mash
This is also a good primer on Tesla road corse modifications by The Smoking Tire's Matt Farah that came out today. We managed to turn a historic Tesla skeptic into someone who was very impressed with canyon driving of the Model 3 and compares it to a 911 Turbo in the cayons in terms of speed.
Any timeline on selling the front 1/4 panels? At this point I'm considering trying staggered 295/315 A7 this year but curious if anyone has run that setup

Any timeline on selling the front 1/4 panels? At this point I'm considering trying staggered 295/315 A7 this year but curious if anyone has run that setup
We had made a couple of sets of prototypes (one of which is on that car). Production version is coming but no ETA until we get them dialed in for final fit and hardware...we have a few surprises along the way though including a UP x Hypercar manufacturer partnership.
Regarding your tire sizes IMO just run -3.5 front camber and fit the 295s in the stock fenders easily. We've found best results with -3.5 front camber settings across our various testing and racing in US, Japan and Nurburgring. The -3.5 front camber on the UP FUCA quick flip pill translates to -1.8 which is a great street camber as well. The 295s fit stock fenders easily with that -3.5 camber (with appropriate wheel of course).

Reactions: Zextraterrestrial
We had made a couple of sets of prototypes (one of which is on that car). Production version is coming but no ETA until we get them dialed in for final fit and hardware...we have a few surprises along the way though including a UP x Hypercar manufacturer partnership.
Regarding your tire sizes IMO just run -3.5 front camber and fit the 295s in the stock fenders easily. We've found best results with -3.5 front camber settings across our various testing and racing in US, Japan and Nurburgring. The -3.5 front camber on the UP FUCA quick flip pill translates to -1.8 which is a great street camber as well. The 295s fit stock fenders easily with that -3.5 camber (with appropriate wheel of course).
Sorry ;)I went with MPP Front uppers. After spinning this weekend on my old 255 square A7 set I was considering 315 on the rear and the 295 front. I'll be running the 10.5" x18" Dekagrams this year.

must say it was pretty fun but I wont be doing that on a hill climb!!!

Sorry ;)I went with MPP Front uppers. After spinning this weekend on my old 255 square A7 set I was considering 315 on the rear and the 295 front. I'll be running the 10.5" x18" Dekagrams this year.

must say it was pretty fun but I wont be doing that on a hill climb!!!
Nothing to be sorry about! Haha. We're all Tesla family and on our side UP exists as a result of our friends/neighbors at Tesla design studio. We're only here because of our continued goal we started back in 2013 to create and usher in Tesla Performance around the world. We support anyone with mod choices as long as you're having fun in a Tesla and spreading the word about how awesome it is to drive one (which you certainly are). The more companies that enter with performance Tesla tuning and the more options the better as far as we're concerned.
BTW if you do decide on the A7's and need some we some extra A7's in 315 that we've not used from last year's Pikes Peak adventure. We can set you up with a bit of savings on them. Feel free to reach out. We also have some extra Hoosier R35B in similar sizing for similar reason.