Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MASTER THREAD: Comprehensive Road-Course Modification Guide — Optimizing the 3 for the track

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thank you.
Yeah, I think I will need the UP sway bars. The -2.8 front camber gave me (I think) more body roll and definitely understeer (had to point people by)
I hadn't see the updated MPP specs.
I am surprised to see you have a square camber setup, I was thinking of 1/2 as much in the back.
I see you have front toe out (makes sense) and rear toe in. Have you tried toe out in the rear or not as much as .2 toe in?
If you are already having understeer, wouldn’t front toe out made it even worse mid corner?

Thank you.
Yeah, I think I will need the UP sway bars. The -2.8 front camber gave me (I think) more body roll and definitely understeer (had to point people by)
I hadn't see the updated MPP specs.
I am surprised to see you have a square camber setup, I was thinking of 1/2 as much in the back.
I see you have front toe out (makes sense) and rear toe in. Have you tried toe out in the rear or not as much as .2 toe in?
If you are already having understeer with the front end, wouldn‘t front toe out made it even worse mid-corner?

Quite possibly the most informative thread on here as far as performance parts and tests go. Can't thank you enough.
I'm greatly benefiting from these years of testing you all have gone through and I appreciate it.

I do have a couple questions:
Has anyone tried these sway bars?
Redwood Motorsports sway bars
they are 32mm front 22mm rear
UP are 31.8mm front 22.2mm rear

I like these over UP Sway's because they arent welded.
1627320337884.png

I will eventually pick up UP Race Spec Coilovers and someone said that the UP Sway's work better with UP Coilovers but whats the difference honestly? (I just don't like the weld)

About Cooling:
Has anyone tried the MPP RDU OIL COOLER in combination with the UP Drive Unit Enduro Oil filter?
I'm thinking this combo could eliminate drive unit cooling issues entirely.

I finally have a car worth tuning and I want to do it right, gathering as much info as I can before making purchases.
End goal for me is to have a track-worthy car I can still use as a daily driver.

2021 M3P
Ren

Attachments

• 1627319873741.png
    1627319873741.png
    207.4 KB · Views: 67
Reactions: Lindenwood
Quite possibly the most informative thread on here as far as performance parts and tests go. Can't thank you enough.
I'm greatly benefiting from these years of testing you all have gone through and I appreciate it.

View attachment 688368
I will eventually pick up UP Race Spec Coilovers and someone said that the UP Sway's work better with UP Coilovers but whats the difference honestly? (I just don't like the weld)

About Cooling:
Has anyone tried the MPP RDU OIL COOLER in combination with the UP Drive Unit Enduro Oil filter?

I finally have a car worth tuning and I want to do it right, gathering as much info as I can before making purchases.
End goal for me is to have a track-worthy car I can still use as a daily driver.

2021 M3P
Ren

I have the MPP rear oil cooler with OEM oil filter. No issue with rear drive unit temperature. Right now the issue is battery temp itself.

Redwood make the best sway bars for the Model 3 currently with Eibach a close second.
I had a set of the UP ones on before the Redwoods. The front one was rubbing on a control arm because it wasn't made right and there was nothing to stop lateral movement on the rear one. They went back.

I personally know at least 10 Model 3 owners in the UK with the Redwood bars fitted and they've all been really happy with them. They are all daily drivers.

My advice is look really carefully at any coilover kits and find out where the dampers are manufactured (not assembled!) and whether they are really worth the money. There are a lot of Taiwan/China made shocks out there which are dressed up to look nice, assembled in the U.S. and then have a big mark-up applied to them. A lot of them are average in performance terms.

Reactions: Clivew and Ren.OG

View attachment 688368

About Cooling:

2021 M3P
Ren

To be honest with you, the stock sway bars are a pretty good option, I've yet to see any evidence to actually show the car handling "better" with aftermarket bars. I think a couple people have found the rear to be more noticeable in terms of feel, if you were going to do it. The Redwood bars looks good, the Eibach's are a good bang for the buck, the UP fronts hit the control arms (at least the older versions, I assume this is fixed).

I would recommend doing more research on coilovers before making a decision.

The MPP oil cooler is an actual cooler that adds considerably more fluid capacity and a finned air to fluid heat exchanger. The UP oil filter...is an oil filter.

To be honest with you, the stock sway bars are a pretty good option, I've yet to see any evidence to actually show the car handling "better" with aftermarket bars. I think a couple people have found the rear to be more noticeable in terms of feel, if you were going to do it. The Redwood bars looks good, the Eibach's are a good bang for the buck, the UP fronts hit the control arms (at least the older versions, I assume this is fixed).

I would recommend doing more research on coilovers before making a decision.

The MPP oil cooler is an actual cooler that adds considerably more fluid capacity and a finned air to fluid heat exchanger. The UP oil filter...is an oil filter.
Harder rear sway bar makes a lot of sense for me - otherwise rear is too slow on MPP and stock springs. Harder front though makes steering worse.

I added Carbotech XP10 and new fluid to my M3P, worked it pretty hard at an AutoX and a track day, and now it’s squealing a lot on the street.tried a few things but it won’t go away. So since I’m going to take it apart again anyway I decided to upgrade the discs as well as put on new pads. I’m looking at the Racing Brake full kit of discs and pads, recommended at the start of this thread. Any comments or experiences or alternatives I should consider? RB 2pc Rotor Kit (355x26/335x21 vs. OE 355x25/335x20) for Tesla M3P (Perf. Model) (P/N 2604 & 2623)

I added Carbotech XP10 and new fluid to my M3P, worked it pretty hard at an AutoX and a track day, and now it’s squealing a lot on the street.tried a few things but it won’t go away. So since I’m going to take it apart again anyway I decided to upgrade the discs as well as put on new pads. I’m looking at the Racing Brake full kit of discs and pads, recommended at the start of this thread. Any comments or experiences or alternatives I should consider? RB 2pc Rotor Kit (355x26/335x21 vs. OE 355x25/335x20) for Tesla M3P (Perf. Model) (P/N 2604 & 2623)
Carbotech is known to squeal. The most quiet track pads I have used is Endless EX90 with Cobalt XR2 a close second. EX90 is basically noiseless and XR2 will have a tiny bit squeak every now and then.

Don't get the RB 2pc kit. MPP Page Mill Performance Rear Rotors | Mountain Pass Performance is a much better option. They are made by Girodisc which are used in actual racing series.

For a little more money, you can get MPP.R Performance Model 3/Y Rear Big Brake Kit | Mountain Pass Performance which gives you a thicker rotor and resolves pad rattling from aftermarket pads.

Reactions: Lindenwood
Carbotech is known to squeal. The most quiet track pads I have used is Endless EX90 with Cobalt XR2 a close second. EX90 is basically noiseless and XR2 will have a tiny bit squeak every now and then.

Don't get the RB 2pc kit. MPP Page Mill Performance Rear Rotors | Mountain Pass Performance is a much better option. They are made by Girodisc which are used in actual racing series.

For a little more money, you can get MPP.R Performance Model 3/Y Rear Big Brake Kit | Mountain Pass Performance which gives you a thicker rotor and resolves pad rattling from aftermarket pads.

Agreed regarding Racing Brake. There have been several reports (some deleted) of problems with them. FWIW their pads seem fine though.

Also agreed Carbotech's are notoriously noisy.

MPP Rotors with Raybestos pads would be my preference, but I am not sure if the supply issues for the pads have been resolved. Contact KNS Brakes if you're interested in Raybestos stock replacement pads. I haven't used Endless or Cobalt so cannot comment there.

Reactions: Lindenwood and Mash
Agreed regarding Racing Brake. There have been several reports (some deleted) of problems with them. FWIW their pads seem fine though.

Also agreed Carbotech's are notoriously noisy.

MPP Rotors with Raybestos pads would be my preference, but I am not sure if the supply issues for the pads have been resolved. Contact KNS Brakes if you're interested in Raybestos stock replacement pads. I haven't used Endless or Cobalt so cannot comment there.
Some posts are deleted because after numerous psychotic insults on the phone the owner told me they won't send me the correct rotors if I won't delete all the posts stating their fitment mistakes.

Aside of horrible customer service, the hardware is unreliable for the track use by design. Others have the same experience on multiple other forums with RB.

That kind of business should not exist.

Some posts are deleted because after numerous psychotic insults on the phone the owner told me they won't send me the correct rotors if I won't delete all the posts stating their fitment mistakes.

Aside of horrible customer service, the hardware is unreliable for the track use by design. Others have the same experience on multiple other forums with RB.

That kind of business should not exist.

Sad to hear. For my first ever track day after autocrossing for 5 years I was pleased with the increased thermal capacity of the RB XT910s and Motul 660 and the fact that they don't squeal on the street so I will keep them on for the rest of the autocross season... but if I decide to go further I'll defiantly consider else where.