Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MASTER THREAD: Comprehensive Road-Course Modification Guide — Optimizing the 3 for the track

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Guys, any of you run 18 slicks? Need some input on optimal diameter and tread width.
I used to run 27/65, 28/65 but it seems 650mm diameter is too small for Tesla, want to try 680. Same question about width. I understand that at some width I can get more negative effects, but when it is too much? 300? 310? 320?)
what are you doing for fenders? I run 295 A7 currently ...would kinda like to do 325 but the 295 fit well stock & I don't see anyone selling front 1/4s yet & still haven't started making my own either
need to 🙃 oops.jpg

Looking at getting dedicated wheels and tires for tracking without upgrading (yet) from stock M3P suspension/rotors. Want to keep this low upfront cost, if possible.

Sounds like 265/35ZR19 on 19x9.5 ET35 is a safe bet with a 5mm spacer. Any reason to consider 275 width over 265 (considering cost, fitment, and performance)?

Looking at ~200TW tires: RE-71R, RT660, A052, RS-4. Recommendations? Sounds like RE-71R is a favorite, if you can still find them.

Any help appreciated!

Looking at getting dedicated wheels and tires for tracking without upgrading (yet) from stock M3P suspension/rotors. Want to keep this low upfront cost, if possible.

Sounds like 265/35ZR19 on 19x9.5 ET35 is a safe bet with a 5mm spacer. Any reason to consider 275 width over 265 (considering cost, fitment, and performance)?

Looking at ~200TW tires: RE-71R, RT660, A052, RS-4. Recommendations? Sounds like RE-71R is a favorite, if you can still find them.

Any help appreciated!
I did this with help from @P3D-R, 275/40r18 A052's on Konig Dekagram wheels, but you'll probably want to get adjustable camber arms with this wide of a tire. I ran this setup on the stock springs/dampers for several track days before upgrading to coilovers.

Any help appreciated!
I think you will want camber. Upfront cost may be low, but you'll eat tires without it. With that being said,

19x9.5 ET35 w/ 265 shouldn't require a spacer, but it depends on the tire. There's others running M3Ps with 19x10 ET35 w/ 265 RE71R. RT660s are a little wider though and obviously 275s are even wider.

If it helps, this is 19x9.5 ET35 w/ 265 RE71R on factory LR AWD suspension/brakes. The rotor pushes the tire out 4-5mm more than a M3P, but the front tire does poke out.
24b2045f-107e-4e7c-acf0-55d63469a584-jpeg.678367

I did this with help from @P3D-R, 275/40r18 A052's on Konig Dekagram wheels, but you'll probably want to get adjustable camber arms with this wide of a tire. I ran this setup on the stock springs/dampers for several track days before upgrading to coilovers.
I'm running the same, 275/40-18 A052s on Konig Hypergram wheels. With 5mm spacers. Everything else is stock, no camber adjustment.

Thanks, all. Appreciate the feedback. I'm going to think on this for a bit longer before making a decision. I won't be back at the track until next summer, so I do have some time to save up if camber/coilovers need to be part of the upgrade package. Maybe a Black Friday sale will help make the decision for me...

Any help appreciated!
This is good and won't need any front upper camber arms. LMK if you need help finding something at a reasonable cost. Lots of wheels are going up in price this November. It's a sad day and age right now with material shortages and container costs from overseas.

Any help appreciated!
Assume you would not want spacer with M3P for size wheel, tire and offset. As suggested above, you will probably want align with neg camber.

Here is 20x9.5 ET35 with 275/30 up front with PS4S, M3P rotors, no spacers but not stock suspension. Front camber little < -1. Rear with 295/30 on 10.5 ET45 (camber about -1.5). Stock susp front tire edge will stick out little more. (Pardon the quick pics)

IMG_6732 2.jpg

IMG_6733.jpg

Assume you would not want spacer with M3P for size wheel, tire and offset. As suggested above, you will probably want align with neg camber.

Here is 20x9.5 ET35 with 275/30 up front with PS4S, M3P rotors, no spacers but not stock suspension. Front camber little < -1. Rear with 295/30 on 10.5 ET45 (camber about -1.5). Stock susp front tire edge will stick out little more. (Pardon the quick pics)

View attachment 723438

View attachment 723439
This looks to be more of a "looks" setup not a "track" setup. Nothing wrong with it. But running 20" wheels and a staggered setup is definitely not ideal for track use. Especially if he wants a dedicated set of wheels. 18" and 19" wheels will give you the best options for tires, lighter and will give your wheels some protection when you inevitably go off track or hit a curb wrong.

Again, not trying to bash the setup. Just pointing out what @Freelancer1331 is asking for.

This looks to be more of a "looks" setup not a "track" setup. Nothing wrong with it. But running 20" wheels and a staggered setup is definitely not ideal for track use. Especially if he wants a dedicated set of wheels. 18" and 19" wheels will give you the best options for tires, lighter and will give your wheels some protection when you inevitably go off track or hit a curb wrong.

Again, not trying to bash the setup. Just pointing out what @Freelancer1331 is asking for.
Yep, agree regarding pure track setup...was just giving some reference for OP idea of 275s up front with relation to M3P, wheel size/offset, tire size, camber etc. 275/30/20 vs 275/35/19 is 0.1" off in overall diameter, so fit essentially the same.

I have also been working on some autocross/track setup for a few events per year at Summit Point, WV. Just for fun, I am not concerned about time lap, etc. @MasterC17 was very helpful and provided great recommendations.
For wheels, I picked up the Flow Formed MACH V CRUCIAL 18X9.5" 5X114 (19.5 pounds) MACH V CRUCIAL 18X9.5 . They clear the MPP 365mm Big Brake Kit (I found Mach V via TireRack as a local top-rated installer in the Northern VA/Washington DC area when I needed to install new tires on our other car.)
I run the Continental EXTREMECONTACT SPORT 265/40ZR18. They are OK for autocross, one short session at a time (I keep those on all summer). They get greasy when you run the whole Shenandoah track (2.2-mile). I would recommend a set of 200TW tires, as mentioned on this thread by @MasterC17.

Attachments

• 74498.jpg
    74498.jpg
    279.5 KB · Views: 109
  • 74648.jpg
    74648.jpg
    163.2 KB · Views: 110
  • 74651.jpg
    74651.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 128
  • 74741.jpg
    74741.jpg
    269.1 KB · Views: 123
  • Event2.jpg
    Event2.jpg
    276.7 KB · Views: 126
I have also been working on some autocross/track setup for a few events per year at Summit Point, WV. Just for fun, I am not concerned about time lap, etc. @MasterC17 was very helpful and provided great recommendations.
For wheels, I picked up the Flow Formed MACH V CRUCIAL 18X9.5" 5X114 (19.5 pounds) MACH V CRUCIAL 18X9.5 . They clear the MPP 365mm Big Brake Kit (I found Mach V via TireRack as a local top-rated installer in the Northern VA/Washington DC area when I needed to install new tires on our other car.)
I run the Continental EXTREMECONTACT SPORT 265/40ZR18. They are OK for autocross, one short session at a time (I keep those on all summer). They get greasy when you run the whole Shenandoah track (2.2-mile). I would recommend a set of 200TW tires, as mentioned on this thread by @MasterC17.
Do you have a pic of the 365 brake kit to wheel? Curious what the clearance looks like. I just fit a 18x10.5 Hypergram over the same kit, but clearance is only 1-2mm.

Do you have a pic of the 365 brake kit to wheel? Curious what the clearance looks like. I just fit a 18x10.5 Hypergram over the same kit, but clearance is only 1-2mm.
I hope this helps. I will try to get a better picture if needed. The installer had to make sure that the balancing weights were clearing the caliper. It's tight but seems to work with these wheels.
74841.jpg

I hope this helps. I will try to get a better one if needed. The installer had to make sure that the balancing weights were clearing the caliper. It's tight but seems to work with these wheels.

I hope this helps. I will try to get a better picture if needed. The installer had to make sure that the balancing weights were clearing the caliper. It's tight but seems to work with these wheels.
View attachment 727252
I hope this helps. I will try to get a better one if needed. The installer had to make sure that the balancing weights were clearing the caliper. It's tight but seems to work with these wheels.
Awesome photo. We have the same licence plate holder!

Reactions: MadJukes
View attachment 727252
This is just the 365mm Page Mill BBK, where you kept the stock (non-Performance) calipers, correct?