Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MASTER THREAD: Comprehensive Road-Course Modification Guide — Optimizing the 3 for the track

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This very much depends on your previous track experience and what you are willing to spend. If money is no object 275/40r18 A052's with the camber arms to go with them is probably the easiest way to drop seconds, But if you are not confident that you can drive at the limit these tires would be wasted. I've heard good things about the Goodyear supercar3 tires for longer life and decent lap times.

So, what do you want to do? Are you the type to buy it all at once or steadily upgrade as your skills progress?
I have been really impressed with the longevity of the Falken RT660. It isn't quite as fast as the A052, but it definitely lasts longer. A good initial heat cycle is important though.

Reactions: MasterC17
Order of Upgrades, Thoughts?

2022 LR M3.

I live in Asheville NC, we have some of if not the best mountain roads in the country, which is where this will be enjoyed weekly, very spiritedly. Im coming from modified sportbikes.

Suspension upgrade - wanting Coil Overs, prob MPP comfort for cost.
I added UPP sway bars, and 2019 Performance Springs ( lowered 1/2inch, got them for good price and heard on here lowering spring were not good for many reasons). I work on sportbikes, but the front springs on the M3 were rough. I could do it a bit easier now a second time, but the first time with no service manual was rough. I saw yesterday there is now a service manual available.

Brakes - wanting BBK.
I added Carbotech pads, replaced w/ motul 600, master cylinder brace.

Acceleration boost - wanting AB
I added aftermarket CF performance spoiler, "looks faster"...

Tires - wanting "I think" PS4S or similar in a 255/40/19

Debating coil overs or AB next. Cost is a consideration, so having to do in segments. And easier to keep on the down low from the finacial manager of the house.

Im considering AB next, concerned price may go up, and especially if track mode is added, which i hope.

Thoughts on any of the items above and order of items added would be appreciated.

Reactions: Lindenwood

2022 LR M3.

Thoughts on any of the items above and order of items added would be appreciated.

Congratulations on the car!

First thing I'd do is sign up for an HPDE at a local track - learn the car's capabilities as it sits, and learn about what "driver mods' might be needed.

Then decide what you think the car needs. Tires would be first, if it were me...(after any required "driver mods" ;-) )

Last edited:

2022 LR M3.

I live in Asheville NC, we have some of if not the best mountain roads in the country, which is where this will be enjoyed weekly, very spiritedly. Im coming from modified sportbikes.

Suspension upgrade - wanting Coil Overs, prob MPP comfort for cost.
I added UPP sway bars, and 2019 Performance Springs ( lowered 1/2inch, got them for good price and heard on here lowering spring were not good for many reasons). I work on sportbikes, but the front springs on the M3 were rough. I could do it a bit easier now a second time, but the first time with no service manual was rough. I saw yesterday there is now a service manual available.

Brakes - wanting BBK.
I added Carbotech pads, replaced w/ motul 600, master cylinder brace.

Acceleration boost - wanting AB
I added aftermarket CF performance spoiler, "looks faster"...

Tires - wanting "I think" PS4S or similar in a 255/40/19

Debating coil overs or AB next. Cost is a consideration, so having to do in segments. And easier to keep on the down low from the finacial manager of the house.

Im considering AB next, concerned price may go up, and especially if track mode is added, which i hope.

I'm not sure how the MPP comfort coilovers would pair with the aftermarket swaybars. I've had both sets (comfort and sport) and the adjustablity is worth the extra cost. Why do you want a big brake kit? I've done several track days and the stock calipers, with nice pads and fluid are plenty - combined with regen. PS4s tires are amazing. 265 if you have a wheel wide enough.

I would suggest the same, tires, pads if needed, seat time and instruction, pads, then suspension if you get to the point you can outride stock.

I dont need BBK, the pads helped. i just have Modification OCD and its at level 10 with this car. That was just something that came to mind.
I think i was just looking for anyone to say AB should be next. Its not about straight line speed for me, but hitting an apex seeing the exit and the accceleration. I drove up one of my favorite roads, turned around, ordred the AB just to see the difference and if it was going to be usable acceleration. I got an incompatible modification error and limped home with at about 35mph downhill, 15mph uphill. Help desk said to give it a few hour and should self correct...

Tires then MPP Coilovers.

Thx

Reactions: emotiveeng
I pretty much did all the upgrade incrementally and this is the order I would suggest. All MPP part unless otherwise stated.

1. Track oriented Brake pads, fluids. OEM pads are OK for driving but not for track or hard driving unless you don't use a lot of brake. If budget allows, 2 piece rotors as they will be able to cool faster compare to stock.
2. MPP coil overs, sport or comfort depending on personal choice
3. Front lower control arm bearing, way better turn in feel.
4. Front upper control arm to get good front camber.
5. Rear toe and camber arm. Not only good for adjustment but removes 2 more rubber bushing.
6. Tires. No point getting sticky tires before you can correct all the camber geometry.
7. Front lower compression arm bearing, more stability during braking and turn-in. Magically more front end grip.
8. Rear traction and trailing arm. Give even more feel to the rear end.
9. Rear spring arm, stiffer arm compare to OEM and ability to use light weight linear spring.
10. MPP sway bars.
11. Front BBK
12. Rear BBK

If your car doesn't have track mode, invest in MPP Partybox. Stock stability control is very intrusive and will cut power or brake randomly in the middle of corner if it's detecting tire slips. But this is for more advanced drivers and not for everyone so I left it off the list.

D52EED90-C05B-4DA3-B835-FE4A5F73AA0E.jpeg

I'm not sure how the MPP comfort coilovers would pair with the aftermarket swaybars. I've had both sets (comfort and sport) and the adjustablity is worth the extra cost. Why do you want a big brake kit? I've done several track days and the stock calipers, with nice pads and fluid are plenty - combined with regen. PS4s tires are amazing. 265 if you have a wheel wide enough.
One lap at Laguna seca it too much for regular MPP rotors. That’s on street tires.
I put these on my rear for a hill climb. Sickly quicker than my 295 squared. Can’t wait for fronts too 🤗

Far out! What’s the solution?

A genuine BBK. The issue with the stock P3D calipers is that they can't accept a terribly thick rotor. While the MPP two piece rotors are considerably better than the stock rotors, they're just limited by mass. This is totally dependent on the driver though, there's a number of people who have no issues using the stock calipers. But there are some, such as myself, who needed to make the move to a BBK with much thicker rotors.

As with most braking issues it comes often down to personal use. Many people don't know how to use brakes properly on track. For those you need more mass. If you are going more than 2-3 hard laps the factory stuff will not work as well. I have ducted the factory calipers with MPP rotors and aggressive race pads and still kill them in two laps.

As with most braking issues it comes often down to personal use. Many people don't know how to use brakes properly on track. For those you need more mass. If you are going more than 2-3 hard laps the factory stuff will not work as well. I have ducted the factory calipers with MPP rotors and aggressive race pads and still kill them in two laps.
Happen to have any pics of how you ran the ducting to them?

Thanks

Reactions: Theraven
Why not the one under the headlight? Curious.
Well, primarily it's a pain in the butt to get to. You really need to remove the front bumper and then the headlight to get access to it. And, even then, I don't think that particular part of the fender is where the concern is. Also, it's lower down which matters a lot less when it comes to clearance for the tire.

What needs more clearance in the front? >=305? 295 yoko, or some specific offset? What do you really gain? I’d like 315/335 A7 but that does need some clearance.
I just got a pair or 11”x18”+40 Koenig rears for my 315 A7, fit much better than the 10.5 +25, Larison rock hill climb next weekend 🥳.
Anyone near nor cal to southern Oregon need a pair of 18” 10.5 grey koni hypergrams?

Last edited: