Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Master Thread: Definitive 14-50 NEMA Outlet Guide

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I found the Hubbell Plate unfortunately it was about 15 bucks which is a rip off. Looks like there are Levitron alternatives that fit the Hubbell/Bryant larger diameter outlet for 6-7 bucks but I saw it after I already picked this one up.

I mentioned many alternatives upthread, but unfortunately it looks like you didn't see the post before you bought it.

In case of interest, here is a DIY charging box for our EV. The requirement was to prevent casual tampering, protect from snow and ice formation, and also to be easy to access (no key/thumprint/passcode). So the approach used was to secure just the cable to the wall, rather than try to have a locked enclosure. A Hiplok Ankr (wall anchor) was used which is removeable if/when we sell the house. There is a cutout bottom right to allow the door to be closed while charging. I plan to paint it and add a sloping roof later on.
Since you are one of the few posting on this topic from Canada, can I ask what brand of 15-40 outlet you used please? My electrician is going to do the job this week and I simply asked hime to install the 15-40 outlet and am wondering if I should tell him to buy a specific locally available brand. Thanks in advance.

Reactions: Lephturn
Not sure why you’re concerned about the draw of the mobile charger in standby. I just leave mine plugged in and on 24/7 like most.

Not an electrician, so some else will need to chime in, but sounds something like this maybe?

But honestly if it was more I would go for one of those more industrial units you’re shying away from.

Hopefully you have enough slack in your new run to cut it and install the switch.

Reactions: bluetrep1
Reactions: bluetrep1
I am currently (and for the last 2 years or so) have been using LEVITON cheapo Home Depot one with 32A draw from mobile adapter on MY. Works fine most of the time. But if my charge is low enough for it to charge for more than 4 hours or so then it will trigger receptacle overheat (Blinking red T) and lowers my charge current to 20A.

I want to replace it with a proper 14-50. BUT mine isnt inside of a wall. The wall mine is on has studs exposed. So I need some sort of enclosure that will be sightly and to code. I dont know that standard outlet boxes are. Anyone know of an enclosure for these larger sized (2.5in) receptacles? Or if I can buy one as a combo that is already inside of an enclosure. Something like this? https://www.amazon.com/BougeRV-Weatherproof-Electrical-Receptacle-Motorhome/dp/B08549S8KK/ref=sr_1_1?crid=2LFZP71NGKRGK&keywords=CHU1S&qid=1644280251&sprefix=chu1s,aps,111&sr=8-1

This is my current one - https://www.amazon.com/Leviton-55050-Receptacle-Industrial-Grounding/dp/B00004YUNO/ref=sr_1_3?crid=257YZ0KSSDOUH&keywords=leviton+14-50&qid=1644280724&sprefix=leviton+14-50,aps,127&sr=8-3

The Bryant I linked on the post above yours won’t work for that?

Honestly I was surprised something like it even exists. I figured it had to be something more substantial.

Its rated for 40A, 14-50 is rated for 50A. Tesla Gen 2 mobile connector pulls only 32Amps, so it would 'work' but it would not be to code and would be a fire hazard if someone in the future (perhaps next house owner) plugs in something that actually pulls over 40 Amps (by 80% rule of NEC any pull above 32A actually).

Last edited:
Its rated for 40A, 14-50 is rated for 50A. Tesla Gen 2 mobile connector pulls only 32Amps, so it would 'work' but it would not be to code and would be a fire hazard if someone in the future (perhaps next house owner) plugs in something that actually pulls over 40 Amps (by 80% rule of NEC any pull above 32A actually).

OP wanted a smaller switch so they can also just swap the breaker to a smaller 40A one, right?

I also threw that model out as a quick hey they do have something smaller and more switch like. For all I know they have a 50A model as well.

OP could also remove the switch and replace with a connecting block and cover the box with a plate when they move. I assume that would make it to code when they leave.

Seems like many options for what OP to get the appearance and function they desire.

OP wanted a smaller switch so they can also just swap the breaker to a smaller 40A one, right?

I also threw that model out as a quick hey they do have something smaller and more switch like. For all I know they have a 50A model as well.

OP could also remove the switch and replace with a connecting block and cover the box with a plate when they move. I assume that would make it to code when they leave.

Seems like many options for what OP to get the appearance and function they desire.

Well, its multi faceted. Not being to code means that if your house burns down its an excuse for insurance to not pay out. But this may actually not be a problem. His link says 40A, but if you click it it actually says rated for 50A.

As long as that thing will accomodate 6AWG wire (which it should if its rated for 50A) then it shouldnt be an issue. Although I am not sure how big it actually is. I have doubts about it being same size as a standard light switch, it looks the same but its probably upscaled in order to accommodate the heat and 6AWG ?

Well, its multi faceted. Not being to code means that if your house burns down its an excuse for insurance to not pay out. But this may actually not be a problem. His link says 40A, but if you click it it actually says rated for 50A.

As long as that thing will accomodate 6AWG wire (which it should if its rated for 50A) then it shouldnt be an issue. Although I am not sure how big it actually is. I have doubts about it being same size as a standard light switch, it looks the same but its probably upscaled in order to accommodate the heat and 6AWG ?

2.25” x 3.78 inches. So about the same size? Or close enough. Either way not a huge box like OP was trying to avoid. They appear to also make them above 50A, up to 85A is basically the same dimension. Honestly still surprised such a thing exist. So much power going though such a small box and even smaller switch. Doesn’t “feel” right.

2.25” x 3.78 inches. So about the same size? Or close enough. Either way not a huge box like OP was trying to avoid. They appear to also make them above 50A, up to 85A is basically the same dimension. Honestly still surprised such a thing exist. So much power going though such a small box and even smaller switch. Doesn’t “feel” right.
I agree

Back on the main topic, I ordered BRYANT 9450FR for ~$46 from Grainger https://www.grainger.com/product/BRYANT-50-A-49YY93

Seems like the best bang for the buck. According to OP its same quality as the $100 HUBBELL for half the price.

I dont think we'll be seeing those close to OP's 2019 price of ~$21 due to HUBBELL not wanting to cannibalize their own sales, plus inflation and surge in EV's (i.e. demand means they dont have to sell cheap).

In case it changes later, OP's original $21 link to ZORO is now $88.75

I agree

Back on the main topic, I ordered BRYANT 9450FR for ~$46 from Grainger https://www.grainger.com/product/BRYANT-50-A-49YY93

Seems like the best bang for the buck. According to OP its same quality as the $100 HUBBELL for half the price.

I dont think we'll be seeing those close to OP's 2019 price of ~$21 due to HUBBELL not wanting to cannibalize their own sales, plus inflation and surge in EV's (i.e. demand means they dont have to sell cheap).

In case it changes later, OP's original $21 link to ZORO is now $88.75
I bought this too. Best bang for the buck to get an outlet you won't have to worry about.

Do note however the regular 14-50 cover plates to not work for it. It has a slightly larger diameter size of 2.465" and not the more standard 2.15". Most people buy the more expensive Hubbell cover plate, but I found lots of alternative cover plates made in various finishes from Leviton for much cheaper:

Hubbell was like 100+, I ordered the Bryant 9450 from Grainger as well for a little under 50 dollars. As long as you don't go leviton, you are fine.