Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Master Thread: Definitive 14-50 NEMA Outlet Guide

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mine is 51" to the middle of the plug, and it's at the top of the outside panel box, so the cable run is the shortest possible (like a foot). Electrician used cables good for 60A, so plenty safe. And he charged me just 80 bucks a year+ ago (and with a good outlet -not a Leviton), which was awesome. Now it's probably at least 3 times that. Ha ha.

Just had my 14-50 outlet installed in my garage. My electrician didn’t listen to me and installed a Leviton brand outlet after I specifically asked for a Hubbell. He said a Hubbell would be about $150 more, but I found the Bryant for $45 from Grainger online. I’m going to order it and was curious if I needed the Hubbell metal surround as well? The Leviton has a plastic surround.

I have a Grizzl-e L2 charger mounted on my wall and am limited to 32A due to my M3 being the SR+.

Just had my 14-50 outlet installed in my garage. My electrician didn’t listen to me and installed a Leviton brand outlet after I specifically asked for a Hubbell. He said a Hubbell would be about $150 more, but I found the Bryant for $45 from Grainger online. I’m going to order it and was curious if I needed the Hubbell metal surround as well? The Leviton has a plastic surround.

I have a Grizzl-e L2 charger mounted on my wall and am limited to 32A due to my M3 being the SR+.
Yes, you do need the metal surround specifically for the Hubbel/Bryant size outlet (it’s slightly bigger than normal).

The socket has a different size diameter hole 2.465" (instead of more common 2.15"), so you need a new plate. However there are plastic ones available too from Leviton if you like plastic. Leviton also makes a compatible metal plate that is available at Ace hardware and Amazon for much cheaper than the Hubbell one, more details here with lots of different options (including plates for boxes that are surface mounted):
Master Thread: Definitive 14-50 NEMA Outlet Guide

Reactions: android04
Just had my 14-50 outlet installed in my garage. My electrician didn’t listen to me and installed a Leviton brand outlet after I specifically asked for a Hubbell. He said a Hubbell would be about $150 more, but I found the Bryant for $45 from Grainger online.
Perhaps the electrician was careful to make sure to install the Leviton outlet carefully enough so that all contacts with wires are good. But that may require both visual inspection as well as checking that the outlet is not getting too hot when used for EV charging loads.

The main advantage of the Hubbell or Bryant is that it looks harder to install poorly and easier to install well.

• Love
Reactions: Rocky_H
I did notice the Leviton outlet does get warm while in use. My Bryant outlet is supposed to be here in a few days.
If you ordered it from Grainger it will not be here til end of May/early June. They are on backorder but Grainger won't update their website even though I've complained multiple times about it. I had some that were supposed to be ready for pickup last week and still aren't.

If you ordered it from Grainger it will not be here til end of May/early June. They are on backorder but Grainger won't update their website even though I've complained multiple times about it. I had some that were supposed to be ready for pickup last week and still aren't.
I just called and was told mine is on its way and is supposed to be there by end of this week. We shall see.

I did notice the Leviton outlet does get warm while in use.
By outlet did you mean the cover and 14-50 plug? Or the cables? I'm charging my car right now, and while the cover and plug are not warmer than ambient temperature (about 85F now), the short 14-50 cable to the mobile unit is quite warm, and so is the mobile cable itself. But I assume that's normal, since 32A constant current is a lot. My worry is in summer, when my garage is in the high 90s, and everything is hot even without charging. I got a few charging errors last year. That's when an overheat situation is more likely, as well as a higher fire risk. I watched my electrician do the job, and he said that if you do the installation right, any outlet should be fine. I guess is there's less chance of that with the above mentioned outlets. Mine is not one of those fancy metal ones, but it's not the cheapest Leviton either. It was the other brand (forgot the name) that was recommended here, so asked him for that. And that's what he uses, so not issues there. I was stunned when he told me it was only 85 bucks. Ha ha. I was expecting twice that. But it was done right behind my electrical box, so not even a foot of cable was needed. Plus it's safer that way, I'd assume (the less run, the safer, no?).

By outlet did you mean the cover and 14-50 plug? Or the cables? I'm charging my car right now, and while the cover and plug are not warmer than ambient temperature (about 85F now), the short 14-50 cable to the mobile unit is quite warm, and so is the mobile cable itself. But I assume that's normal, since 32A constant current is a lot. My worry is in summer, when my garage is in the high 90s, and everything is hot even without charging. I got a few charging errors last year. That's when an overheat situation is more likely, as well as a higher fire risk. I watched my electrician do the job, and he said that if you do the installation right, any outlet should be fine. I guess is there's less chance of that with the above mentioned outlets. Mine is not one of those fancy metal ones, but it's not the cheapest Leviton either. It was the other brand (forgot the name) that was recommended here, so asked him for that. And that's what he uses, so not issues there. I was stunned when he told me it was only 85 bucks. Ha ha. I was expecting twice that. But it was done right behind my electrical box, so not even a foot of cable was needed. Plus it's safer that way, I'd assume (the less run, the safer, no?).
Just the outlet itself gets warm when charging. I'm using a Grizzl-E Level 2 charger and the plug/cord itself is much thicker than the Tesla mobile charger adapter. It stays the same temp as ambient. My concern with the outlet is I'm in Texas and it can get to 120ish degrees inside the garage during the summertime.

Looking for a 10-30R to replace the decades old and cracked Slater one in one of my homes. Looking at one of the Hubbell or Bryant versions ideally, however box the current single gang box in the wall isn’t too deep, is stuffed with wires and seems slightly narrower than it’s current counterparts. Doesn’t seem like Bryant or Hubbell would fit based on width and depth of the current outlets. The depth of the Leviton is great but obviously not the best quality.

Photos of front, back and side of current out along with the box attached.

Recommendations ?

89D651C5-F48E-48E1-8682-DBC0336DDCB6.jpeg
21A6270F-37D1-40DC-8995-2B90823B8A96.jpeg
7CD44A66-89F0-4873-BAE3-84225402D3BF.jpeg
6C0A59A8-A34E-41E3-B9D4-B9147165852A.jpeg

Last edited: