Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Master Thread: Definitive 14-50 NEMA Outlet Guide

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
  • Informative
Reactions: MLXXXp
I was wondering if that was 6/3. As others mentioned it shouldn't be possible to find 6/3 with a ground smaller than #10 so perhaps it's just an illusion. It looks like your ground wire is less than half the diameter of the conductors when #10 should be more than half the diameter of #6.

At any rate, 5 seconds with a volt meter is all you need to identify the issue.

I was wondering if that was 6/3. As others mentioned it shouldn't be possible to find 6/3 with a ground smaller than #10 so perhaps it's just an illusion. It looks like your ground wire is less than half the diameter of the conductors when #10 should be more than half the diameter of #6.

At any rate, 5 seconds with a volt meter is all you need to identify the issue.
So that ground wire must be 10AWG as I had bought some 8AWG and it wasn’t much bigger. I did find the Issue though and it was alluded in an earlier post. I got the Bryant working by installing the ground wire behind the wire clasp instead of where I thought to put it. It’s tightened by loosening the Allen nut, thus pushing the wire clasp towards the outlet front. Not sure if I need to do the same to the main 3 wires but it’s all working now.

Reactions: Rocky_H
Not sure if I need to do the same to the main 3 wires but it’s all working now.
This level of power is not something to have installed wrong. Is there some reason you think the four wire connection methods are not intended to be the same? Yes, I know that on common house outlets the ground is frequently a different look, but I believe on the bryant/hubbell they are all the same.

It sounds like you managed to put the main three wires on the wrong side of the piece that is moved by the allen screw, and connection quality will suffer as a result. I myself wouldn't try to charge with that outlet as wired.

This level of power is not something to have installed wrong. Is there some reason you think the four wire connection methods are not intended to be the same? Yes, I know that on common house outlets the ground is frequently a different look, but I believe on the bryant/hubbell they are all the same.

It sounds like you managed to put the main three wires on the wrong side of the piece that is moved by the allen screw, and connection quality will suffer as a result. I myself wouldn't try to charge with that outlet as wired.
Got this fixed just now. All 4 wires going into the Bryant are now “squeezed” into the terminals. Very odd to be tightening the terminals by turning counter clockwise, but my charger is still happy.

Really appreciate the help, especially to the person who said that the Bryant wiring goes in differently. That made me look at trying it that way. The electrician I used was not a good one and refused to install a Hubbell or Bryant in the first place saying I didn’t need it and he installs these very often. I’d much rather have the piece of mind knowing the outlet can withstand the constant flow. This most likely won’t be our last EV we purchase.

Doing that causes the lost ground error.
What is the diameter of the ground wire? Solid round 10 AWG wire should be 0.102 inches (slightly larger than 3/32 inches) (2.59mm) in diameter.

If your ground wire is thinner than that, you have a problem. If your ground wire is at least that thick, the connector in your outlet might be damaged.

As others have said, the screws in the outlet should be tightened in the standard clockwise direction to clamp down on the wires. (The screws should move inwards, towards the wire, when tightened.)

Last edited:
I think I was wrong about that. For Bryant and Hubbell 14-50 outlets, the screws don't move in and out. They only turn. Here's a video showing the operation (for a Hubbell. The Bryant is identical):
Yes, excellent example. Clockwise is indeed the right direction for tightening. The conductors strands are supposed to be captured inside the triangle of brass, not outside the angled brass pieces.

Yes, excellent example. Clockwise is indeed the right direction for tightening. The conductors strands are supposed to be captured inside the triangle of brass, not outside the angled brass pieces.
Doing that though causes my lost ground issue. I can put the 3 main wires in the triangle of brass but if I do that with the ground wire it acts like it’s not there. I’ve even tried the pigtail with 8AWG and inside the brass triangle it gives a lost ground error. It works if I put the ground on the other side and push the triangle out.

Doing that though causes my lost ground issue. I can put the 3 main wires in the triangle of brass but if I do that with the ground wire it acts like it’s not there. I’ve even tried the pigtail with 8AWG and inside the brass triangle it gives a lost ground error. It works if I put the ground on the other side and push the triangle out.
I wonder if its a defective outlet. If nothing else, I'd put all four conductors on the correct (in)side of the triangle, and if you need it to be tighter for the ground, fold the last half inch of the ground conductor over once or twice to give it extra diameter. You shouldn't really have to do that though, if its at least 10 AWG.

I wonder if its a defective outlet. If nothing else, I'd put all four conductors on the correct (in)side of the triangle, and if you need it to be tighter for the ground, fold the last half inch of the ground conductor over once or twice to give it extra diameter. You shouldn't really have to do that though, if its at least 10 AWG.
This is the second Bryant outlet I’ve tried. Same thing.

I presume you did it like here starting at 14:10?

Did you torque it down as shown (switching hex wrench from vertical to horizontal for more leverage)? If you tug on the wire afterwards, does it come out? The way the clamp is designed it should result in a very secure connection (will not budge even if pulled), presuming you torqued it properly.

I personally used 10AWG stranded wire in green jacket and it secured no problem to the Bryant outlet.

Last edited:
I presume you did it like here starting at 14:10?

Did you torque it down as shown (switching hex wrench from vertical to horizontal for more leverage)? If you tug on the wire afterwards, does it come out? The way the clamp is designed it should result in a very secure connection (will not budge even if pulled), presuming you torqued it properly.

I personally used 10AWG stranded wire in green jacket and it secured no problem to the Bryant outlet.
Yes, I did that initially and the ground wire was snug and would not come out. It still gave the lost ground issue. It only worked when I inserted the ground behind the triangle and turned the locking nut counterclockwise.

It still gave the lost ground issue. It only worked when I inserted the ground behind the triangle and turned the locking nut counterclockwise.
It seems to me that your 14-50 outlet may be damaged. If the ground connection is tight when installed the proper way, you shouldn't get an error that way but not when installed incorrectly.

You should be able to test for a proper outlet ground connection with a multimeter set for resistance. (With the circuit powered off!) measuring between the ground socket in the front and the bare ground wire at the back should read very close to zero ohms.

You can also test with the outlet live using the meter's AC volts function. (Be very careful when doing this or don't do it at all if you're not comfortable!) Measuring between the ground socket and either the xxx or yyy socket should read about 120V.

Just for my information, since Tesla UMC doesn't need a neutral wire, can we just use a 6/2 or 8/2 wire with ground wire for the 14-50 adapter outlet? I know 6-50 adapter is exactly meant for it; but just curious to know about 14-50 and skipping the neutral wire to increase flexibility in wiring outlets and pulling through the panel..etc?

• Disagree
Just for my information, since Tesla UMC doesn't need a neutral wire, can we just use a 6/2 or 8/2 wire with ground wire for the 14-50 adapter outlet? I know 6-50 adapter is exactly meant for it; but just curious to know about 14-50 and skipping the neutral wire to increase flexibility in wiring outlets and pulling through the panel..etc?
It would be better to use 6-50 for that, rather than 14-50 with no neutral, since 14-50 with no neutral might be an annoyance to someone plugging something other than an EVSE into it and expecting it to be fully functional.

• Love
Reactions: Rocky_H and Dave EV
It will work in terms of functioning (I have tested with a multimeter and the neutral pin on the 14-50 adapter is not connected to any pin on the Mobile Connector side), but would likely be a code violation.

I would install a 6-50 instead in that case as even for a Hubbell or Bryant, the receptacle is less expensive than a 14-50 (which can go towards paying for the 6-50 adapter):
Hubbell Wiring Device-Kellems HBL9367 $33.44 Receptacle, 50 A Amps, 250V AC, Flush Mount, Single Outlet, 6-50R, Black | Zoro.com
Bryant 9650FR $34.31 Receptacle, 50 A Amps, 250V AC, Flush Mount, Single Outlet, 6-50R, Black | Zoro.com

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Rocky_H and Dave EV
It would be better to use 6-50 for that, rather than 14-50 with no neutral, since 14-50 with no neutral might be an annoyance to someone plugging something other than an EVSE into it and expecting it to be fully functional.
Thanks for confirming. 14-50 outlets would be more widely available to use at a friend's or elsewhere compared to 6-50; hence make sense to have the 14-50 adapter to use. Have seen electricians struggling to run 6-3 wires on conduits on many videos. We can still mark the outlet as EV charging only so that any other wont be used :)