Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Master Thread: Definitive 14-50 NEMA Outlet Guide

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone have a recommendation for a good outlet that supports AL wiring? I was about to order the Bryant 9450FR as it's highly recommended before I found out that is copper only. My home is prewired 50A w/ aluminum.

Also, do you think this install is DIY friendly for an electrical newbie? I've watched some install videos and it seem relatively straightforward. The only part I'm confused about is how to handle grounding. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Here is what my wiring looks like: View attachment 888168
The Pass & Seymour outlet that many people have used is rated for aluminum wire. Although it doesn't have the v shaped wire clamp that the Bryant and Hubbell has, at least the receptacle contacts are full size (unlike the Leviton which you should avoid if at all possible). As long as you double check the connections are secure, you should be fine even with the screw type terminal.
Legrand Pass & Seymour 50 Amp 125/250-Volt NEMA 14-50R Flush Mount Range/Dryer/EV Charger Power Outlet 3894CC6 - The Home Depot

If you want a heavier duty version that requires a larger diameter face plate (just like Bryant 9450FR does), you can consider the Eaton/Cooper 5754N. I believe terminals are also screw terminals like the Pass & Seymour, but the receptacle is beefier to take more abuse.
Master Thread: Definitive 14-50 NEMA Outlet Guide
https://www.amazon.com/EATON-5754N-Receptacles-Size-Gray/dp/B07K2JD2KC

Does anyone have a recommendation for a good outlet that supports AL wiring? I was about to order the Bryant 9450FR as it's highly recommended before I found out that is copper only. My home is prewired 50A w/ aluminum.

Also, do you think this install is DIY friendly for an electrical newbie? I've watched some install videos and it seem relatively straightforward. The only part I'm confused about is how to handle grounding. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

You can also pigtail from Al to Cu. The Polaris connectors are cu/Al rated.

• Informative
Reactions: Dave EV
The only part I'm confused about is how to handle grounding.
This concerns me. You have four wires coming out of the wall, of traditional colors/bareness. You probably know L1/L2 are black and red, and white is neutral. This leaves you with one bare conductor coming out of the wall and one unused terminal on the outlet.

Strongly consider using an antioxidant paste meant for aluminum, and use a torque wrench to tighten the screws. Aluminum is more malleable than copper and overtightening won't necessarily make the connection better.

It seems just right for an outlet, and I'm surprised one wasn't installed.

You might want to call a professional.

• Informative

The ground wire needs to be attached both to the electric box and the ground lug on the outlet. Your ground looks plently long enough to be secured to the box, then run to the outlet.

Electrical work is a profession, it's not a hobby! That's why its a skilled and licensed trade! Just from your description, I would suggest you walk away and employ a licensed electrical contractor! Aluminum wire is a special hazard and requires special skills and tools! You can ignore that advice and just wire for fire!

• Funny
Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
I'm trying to get quotes for a Tesla Wall Connector in Houston and electricians are telling me no permit is needed. Seems to be sketch to me and I'm checking with the Houston permit office to verify. If no permit is required then I would rather just DIY since it's literally just connecting a wire between the breaker and the wall connector.

I'm trying to get quotes for a Tesla Wall Connector in Houston and electricians are telling me no permit is needed. Seems to be sketch to me and I'm checking with the Houston permit office to verify. If no permit is required then I would rather just DIY since it's literally just connecting a wire between the breaker and the wall connector.
Permit rules do vary by locality, but I doubt no permit if you’re in an incorporated part of the city.

You can likely DIY and permit it also.

Reactions: davewill
Interesting. Most jurisdictions allow the homeowner to pull a permit. As long as it’s the homeowner doing the work and not a hired handyman.
That's the case in California too, owner permits are very common for small jobs at home. Here in SF, only the licensed people can use the online permit issuing system, but an owner can always pull a paper/email permit themselves (although it is limited to certain jobs, not all are allowed).
Apply for an electrical permit | San Francisco

It seems for Houston however all electrical work needs to be done by a licensed electrician:
Electrical Inspections | Houston Permitting Center

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: CyberGus
Sorry if this has been asked before, I tried searching the forum but couldn’t find the exact answer. So I just had a NEMA 14-50 put in by an electrician. They ended up putting in 50 Amp breaker but used Romex 8 gauge wire. I know know that we should technically use 8 gauge Romex only with 40 amp. However, I plan to use only the mobile charger at max of 32 Amps, so never over 40 amps. Will my current set up be ok, or do I still need it either change the breaker to 40 Amp or change the wire to 6 gauge?

Sorry if this has been asked before, I tried searching the forum but couldn’t find the exact answer. So I just had a NEMA 14-50 put in by an electrician. They ended up putting in 50 Amp breaker but used Romex 8 gauge wire. I know know that we should technically use 8 gauge Romex only with 40 amp. However, I plan to use only the mobile charger at max of 32 Amps, so never over 40 amps. Will my current set up be ok, or do I still need it either change the breaker to 40 Amp or change the wire to 6 gauge?
They are allowed to install 40A wire by code for a 14-50 outlet (only due to an exception because no 40A outlet exists), but it should be on a 40A breaker. Also note many jurisdictions have adopted NEC 2017 or newer, which requires a GFCI breaker if the outlet was installed for EV charging (you may have a tough time finding one that is 40A however). That breaker typically costs a lot more, around $100-150.

The "proper" way to have done it would have been to install it with 6 AWG copper as Tesla's installation guide for 14-50 mentions.
https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/downloads/en_CA/CA-EN NEMA 14-50 Installation Guide.pdf

But given it is done, the easiest route you have probably is just switch it to a 40A breaker. This protects you from a case of connecting a 40A-50A load (which your wire can't handle) and the breaker not tripping.

Note for 40A wiring, for continuous loads like charging, you are only allowed 80% so 40A*80% = 32A MAX, which luckily is the limit of the latest Mobile Connector. There is a older version or one that is permanently wired to 14-50 that can charge at 40A and you would not be able to safely use that.

Note this rule applies in general. For the NEMA 5-15 adapter, you will note that the charger will limit you to 12A (80% of 15A) and not allow you to charge at 15A.

Last edited:
Agree with other responses re replacing the breaker with a 40A. Just curious why the electrician used 8 gauge wire with a 50amp breaker, which is a code violation given that the breaker is there to protect the conductors (applying the 80% rule). So the electrician screwed up IMO, and should replace the Romex 8 gauge wire with Romex 6 gauge wire at no charge. Some day you may want to replace the NEMA 14-50 with a Tesla Wall charger, which would allow 40 amp loads (on a 50 A breaker).

Reactions: Rocky_H
Agree with other responses re replacing the breaker with a 40A. Just curious why the electrician used 8 gauge wire with a 50amp breaker, which is a code violation given that the breaker is there to protect the conductors (applying the 80% rule). So the electrician screwed up IMO, and should replace the Romex 8 gauge wire with Romex 6 gauge wire at no charge. Some day you may want to replace the NEMA 14-50 with a Tesla Wall charger, which would allow 40 amp loads (on a 50 A breaker).
what’s weird is that this electrician is actually super well-regarded with many years of experience and he’s one of the Tesla certified electricians. Apparently, he’s installed thousands of these plugs the same way and it’s not a code violation.

• Disagree
8 gauge wire on a 50A breaker to a 14-50R outlet is perfectly fine and code compliant. Although it's a shame to do it that way when a wall charger on a 60A circuit would have been about the same price, if not cheaper.

Anyway, assuming he used a common 75C rated receptacle and common THHN wire in conduit (not Romex) then AWG8 is fully rated for 50A.

1674947715879.png

• Informative
8 gauge wire on a 50A breaker to a 14-50R outlet is perfectly fine and code compliant. Although it's a shame to do it that way when a wall charger on a 60A circuit would have been about the same price, if not cheaper.

Anyway, assuming he used a common 75C rated receptacle and common THHN wire in conduit (not Romex) then AWG8 is fully rated for 50A.

View attachment 900839

It is definitely a Romex wire, not THHN wire since I watched him install it

Well he might have used something 75C rated, but most "NM-B" cable contains 90C conductors in a 60C jacket which would not be code compliant on a 50A breaker but otherwise OK for 40A service to a 14-50R and 32A charger.

If you're concerned, I suggest you pull the face cover off your main breaker panel and read the labeling on the wiring itself. Post pics here and we'll confirm.

Last edited: