Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delivery / Service Issues (panel gaps, delivery delays / issues / Service problems etc)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I do. The right tail light’s looks bigger. Here’s more pictures and I took some pictures of the left one too for comparison.
Out of curiosity, can you take a Pic of your whole trunk lid? Mine has a smaller gap on the right corner than the left corner. But now I question if this is just normal. Trying to adjust it throws the actual pillar gap out of whack. I'm out of ideas

Out of curiosity, can you take a Pic of your whole trunk lid? Mine has a smaller gap on the right corner than the left corner. But now I question if this is just normal. Trying to adjust it throws the actual pillar gap out of whack. I'm out of ideas
Yeah, my right side trunk/panel gap is smaller than the left. I haven't had any leaks or noise so far (1.5 months). Have taken during rain and automatic car wash. No problem. It doesn't bother me anymore. I don't like the asymmetric panel gap, but I am sensitized now. Car drives great.

My 2021 front passenger door is also inward at the top, when compared to the fender. Seems to be a common problem, so I'd say it's not an alignment issue, but a mold defect, no? Most other gaps are not perfect, but acceptable. The passenger door gap is the only one that bothers me a little, but not worth trying to fix, since it seems to be a door defect, rather than an alignment issue. And since there are no obvious door issues, like wind leaks, will leave it alone. But wind noise is as bad as it was on a 2020 we test drove in Austin, so the double-pane windows were worth a crap. Oh well.
So you think this is a bad door print? I keep staring at my gap now haha. I wonder if a new door would fix this?

Weird because I ordered the car late February and got it end of March

Now I am worried about having issues when I pick my car up... these stories are scary. I certainly hope I don't have to refuse it or send it back for a week to deal with these issues. Fingers crossed. At the very least I am going to be very particular when I examine the vehicle before I sign off on it.
Same here, have one on order. Pretty egregious some of these current issues, like that giant gap on the roof window on the left side?? Whacky panel gaps, passenger seat rubbing the console but driver's is 1" away?!?! What? That won't fly with me personally. Get me another one will be the answer, denied! Tail lights sunken inward, scratched trim...somebody not wearing clean gloves to handle interior parts. Sounds like Tesla is running an Amazon warehouse type operation on the production line. Just get it out the door!!! If they complain, deal with it later. This is basic 101 quality control that any other company would never let out the plant door, if so very rare. I just looked at my BMW 435i, that is 5yrs old for fun, nothing but perfection everywhere. This is status quo with other manufacturers. Fair to compare? Maybe not...but still. They have enough experience at this point it shouldn't be an issue.

The checklist link is pretty good here on the forum. But you need to have an eye for stuff that is more subtle. Like paint issues. Somebody catching that seat touching on the passenger side yet not the driver's side. Nobody commented on it so far here. This shouldn't even be a thing to have to look for honestly.
Ask yourself, how many people buying a Tesla 1) Browsing this forum, and 2) Going to post saying "Yup, car was great." Those that have issues are much more likely to make a post. Many other car brands have these issues as well, but people typically don't walk around their car with a measuring tape to ensure a gap isn't half an inch bigger on one side.

Only response I have to this is: there isn't a section on other car forums which I've been on for 20yrs+ like BMW/Audi/Mercedes/VW for "delivery/quality" issues like Tesla. You see recall section stickies, which applies to all cars. But QC is another altogether for a dedicated thread/sticky. These gaps and things are so obvious, like the current Window/glass shift to the right with huge gaps...Tesla only has themselves to blame. Making the customer catch all of these things is absurd. But hey! I'm up for their game. You got the wrong guy here to do this to. Their attitudes are likely your average consumer will never notice/see this stuff as you state though.

Let's the games begin!

Reactions: ilikemypizza
Same here, have one on order. Pretty egregious some of these current issues, like that giant gap on the roof window on the left side?? Whacky panel gaps, passenger seat rubbing the console but driver's is 1" away?!?! What? That won't fly with me personally. Get me another one will be the answer, denied! Tail lights sunken inward, scratched trim...somebody not wearing clean gloves to handle interior parts. Sounds like Tesla is running an Amazon warehouse type operation on the production line. Just get it out the door!!! If they complain, deal with it later. This is basic 101 quality control that any other company would never let out the plant door, if so very rare. I just looked at my BMW 435i, that is 5yrs old for fun, nothing but perfection everywhere. This is status quo with other manufacturers. Fair to compare? Maybe not...but still. They have enough experience at this point it shouldn't be an issue.

The checklist link is pretty good here on the forum. But you need to have an eye for stuff that is more subtle. Like paint issues. Somebody catching that seat touching on the passenger side yet not the driver's side. Nobody commented on it so far here. This shouldn't even be a thing to have to look for honestly.

Only response I have to this is: there isn't a section on other car forums which I've been on for 20yrs+ like BMW/Audi/Mercedes/VW for "delivery/quality" issues like Tesla. You see recall section stickies, which applies to all cars. But QC is another altogether for a dedicated thread/sticky. These gaps and things are so obvious, like the current Window/glass shift to the right with huge gaps...Tesla only has themselves to blame. Making the customer catch all of these things is absurd. But hey! I'm up for their game. You got the wrong guy here to do this to. Their attitudes are likely your average consumer will never notice/see this stuff as you state though.

Let's the games begin!
Exactly. No other car forum speaks to the volume of quality issues as does Tesla. I'm learning the hard way now as I have some weird gaps and issues that shouldn't be a thing on a brand new car.

Enjoy the games, I'm playing in them right now

I see a business model where "car guys" accompany Tesla buyers to point out the issues pre-purchase....kind of like the house "inspection" walk through. I went with my wife who is a software engineer when I picked up mine. She was more interested in their algorithms and could care less about panel gaps. So, I was basically pressured by my wife to get in the car and start driving 😂😂

we picked up our model 3 today (ordered st. patrick's day, picked up memorial day). a few issues: right rear tail light misaligned, glovebox stopped opening after first two or three times, horizontal scratches on driver's side rear window, greasy smudges inside on seats that wiped off fine. service manager was present and witnessed issues but app is having problems scheduling mobile service appointment. he told me to try later tonight or he would enter a request for me tomorrow. i got his cell phone number just in case.

Took delivery Saturday (3/27/21) - car is nearly perfect. No issues with exterior fits and finishes. Only a handful of very small issues, some of which have already been noted in prior posts. First, the doors needed to be pretty much slammed initially to shut. This seems to have been a newness issue as the doors are just about like regular doors when it comes to shutting them now. I apply a reasonable amount of force and they shut cleanly. I plan on giving it another few days before crying foul but I don't think a service ticket is required for it at this time.

Another issue I had was an oil-like residue on the inside of the car above the driver's seat. I noticed it after I took delivery and was able to wipe it right off with a rag. Anyone else have this issue or have any ideas what it may be? I have no seen it re-emerge and the fabric around the glass room appears to be clean/dry so there doesn't appear to be a leak there anywhere.

Lastly, the edge of the passenger-side rear seat kind of pops up/off. I was forcing a carseat in and I think I popped a clip or jarred something loose. This is really the only issue I'm mildly concerned of and already made an appointment for late April to address it.

Overall, the panel gaps look fine to me -at least nothing jumped out. The main issues were the door/latches.
1. Passenger side doors need more force than driver's side to shut and lock; the front passenger requires almost-slamming to get it catch and lock properly. SC guy indicated that they had many reports of this. Originally they were going to Mobile Service it then it got changed to a SC.

2. Rear passenger door handle is more recessed than I would like. The front passenger is very slightly recessed but doesn't both me. The rear, however, looks bad

Also, seems like there was a bigger gap between driver's side rear taillight and trunk lid.

Reactions: ilikemypizza
Is it just me, or do most of you find it inexcusable that Tesla doesn’t give a rat about their Quality Control, so essentially,
they have none and expect the consumer to “take what they get?”
Tesla have had to go from non existent to worlds most valuable car company in little more than a decade.

Personally, I came in with my eyes open and accept my car for what it is, a decent vehicle from a new and still learning manufacturer.

Tesla aren’t perfect, but they have had to get volumes of vehicles sold and out of the door, just to survive. In time, I expect they will improve further.

Right now, individuals need to decide whether they can accept that their vehicle won’t be at Porsche levels of fit and finish. If you can live with that, you’ll have a great Tesla experience. If you can’t, maybe they aren’t the car for you at this moment in time.

Reactions: Nallambal
I would like to encourage people to refuse delivery of a car that has too many quality issues. New cars should look new. This is the best way to get Tesla to improve quality. If people keep accepting damaged or poorly constructed cars, they will keep making them. I have 2 Teslas on order, and if they aren't in really darn good shape, I'm going to let them keep them and try again.

Reactions: nyudoc04
Update on paint problems from Tesla, have had the car back and they have fixed the thin paint on front end with what looks like a white pen. The sills underneath the car have been done and looks average. The doors look like they ran a buff machine over to match the sills and have taken back paint.
Car also has overspray all over the window and was dirty all over.
After having arguments with two of staff about the terrible fix. The manger came out and went over the whole job and has said he is going to redo the whole job again. For a £60k car the is beyond disappointing.

Tell them that if they don't do better you're going to write an article for the Chinese Communist Party's English Language newspapers :p. I hear they're working on repossessing Elon's Shanghai factory. So they can take care of "quality problems".

Last edited:
Picked my car 6/3. Here are few things I found. Have a service appointment for 6/9 to fix the problem(s)

1. Steering column interference with front dash
2. Passenger side rear door requires a lot of force to latch
3. Paint feels grainy in many parts
4. The trunk seems to have large gaps around. Not sure if it's normal... Haven't left it in the rain to see if it leaks.

So I just picked up my M3P today and to start it off there was some paint defects on the rear rocker panels that I noticed that Tesla now needs to repaint so I will be brining it in on Monday...

But more worrying later after driving it home and fooling around with the car the screen suddenly went black... I tried the soft reset by pressing both wheels in and nothing... tried the same with stepping on the brake and nothing. Finally I got out of the car, locked it and came back and she finally showed a tesla T on the screen however the screen the flashed and went black again before restarting with a T and doing the same thing over again for a few cycles before remaining black. Perplex I left it alone, went and ate some lunch came back and now everything is fine and working again. Like what the heck is going on? Is this something I should be brining up with Tesla on Monday?

Bit late to take video, but certainly tell Tesla what happened when you take it in on Monday
Also, when you do the two button salute, you need to keep the buttons held down for a really long time - 50 to 80 seconds on my car depending on its condition.

Bit late to take video, but certainly tell Tesla what happened when you take it in on Monday
Also, when you do the two button salute, you need to keep the buttons held down for a really long time - 50 to 80 seconds on my car depending on its condition.
Yeah ok I'll definitely let them know. It's possible I didn't hold it down long enough but strange non the less