Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delivery / Service Issues (panel gaps, delivery delays / issues / Service problems etc)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Rear door handles: in spec, slight recess is for noise reduction. That’s how they are being installed now per the rep. Said the doors have changed for cars built in the last 3 months for noise abatement. Side effect is slightly recessed handles. Pic attached.
Very satisfied with the experience so far.
That’s the dumbest thing I’ve ever heard and the biggest lie from service. Because it’s generally only the rear handles that are recessed bc if you look at all the handles they are not the same depth. I’m taking mine in next week to have it fixed also and we’ll see what they say. also this isn’t a new issue, it’s been documented on these forums forever.

Sidenote: does anyone think their front windows go up and down slower than you feel they should?

That’s the dumbest thing I’ve ever heard and the biggest lie from service. Because it’s generally only the rear handles that are recessed bc if you look at all the handles they are not the same depth. I’m taking mine in next week to have it fixed also and we’ll see what they say. also this isn’t a new issue, it’s been documented on these forums forever.

Sidenote: does anyone think their front windows go up and down slower than you feel they should?
I laughed and said ok. Mine are barely recessed. They are taking care of the “major” issues so I’m rolling with it.

normal windows

Reactions: Jeremy3292
Hi All,

After owning the M3 SR+ for a week, I have to say that the build quality still leaves a lot to be desired. I found a pretty deep scratch on the hood by the wiper blades. Also the passenger side mirror trim is half glued like others have posted.

My question, how does Tesla normally handle scratches/paint issues? I was told that the service center doesn't do body work and you need to send it to a 3rd party? Do you have to then pay out of pocket and get reimbursed?

IMG_6586.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_6587.jpeg
    IMG_6587.jpeg
    298.2 KB · Views: 132
Hi All,

After owning the M3 SR+ for a week, I have to say that the build quality still leaves a lot to be desired. I found a pretty deep scratch on the hood by the wiper blades. Also the passenger side mirror trim is half glued like others have posted.

My question, how does Tesla normally handle scratches/paint issues? I was told that the service center doesn't do body work and you need to send it to a 3rd party? Do you have to then pay out of pocket and get reimbursed?

View attachment 709415

May be able to buff that out, depending on how deep into the clear it goes. If it can’t be, I’d leave the scratch over getting the hood repainted. Repaints often come with their own issues, and you may just be better off leaving it alone.

Tim

Hi All,

View attachment 709415
They’ll replace that plastic trim. See my post above.

Last edited:
May be able to buff that out, depending on how deep into the clear it goes. If it can’t be, I’d leave the scratch over getting the hood repainted. Repaints often come with their own issues, and you may just be better off leaving it alone.

Tim
Yeah, I was thinking the same. Might try to just buff it out. Heard some horror stories of repainting gone wrong

Last edited:
Reactions: TBrownTX

Agree, the handles should be flush and consistent all the way around. They adjusted mine with no issues.
Can’t say I’ve noticed the window up down speed being slower than expected.

How are we feeling about EOQ pushes these days? I received a model 3 VIN last night and thinking I'm just going to tell them no thanks until October or later, even if it means not getting a car for a while.

I'm not as far along in the process as you (car on order but no VIN yet) but my plan was, and still is, to try my best to avoid an EOQ car. I used to work at a mfg company that had big EOQ pushes and the quality definitely went down during those times.

Reactions: Tigers
I really think it's just a crap shoot IMO. Some service centers are better than others and take care of things better or check things better before delivery to the customer. Some cars come off the line better. I don't believe you can "schedule" your way into a good quality car. It's just luck.
Agreed. You could get the “first” car of a quarter and it could have issues. If you live in California, it seems like you’re getting an end of quarter car regardless.

I'm not as far along in the process as you (car on order but no VIN yet) but my plan was, and still is, to try my best to avoid an EOQ car. I used to work at a mfg company that had big EOQ pushes and the quality definitely went down during those times.
I think you’ll be in the same position I was. Bay Area orders are EOQ because we are closest to the factory. Reviewing the master spreadsheet and checking the “waiting room” thread make me believe this is 99% accurate.

FWIW, my car was great. The couple minor things I had fixed were completed at the SF service center and I got a $200 Uber voucher. I live in the city so this was not a big deal. The steering wheel discrep I reported was definitely FIA-driven. It worked out, I’m getting a new wheel.

Reactions: SanCarlosJeff
Since I am driving all the way to Charlotte (3.5 hrs round trip) for a service appt next week, I went ahead and just put everything I could think of down:
  1. New card keys, warped at delivery
  2. Fix/reseat interior trim - rear trunk, front driver, rear passenger.
  3. Fix recessed rear door handles
  4. Wheel alignment, may be off from factory like I've read on this forum and I don't want uneven tire wear. Also it's free.
  5. Fix/glue passenger mirror trim.
  6. Check loose frunk trim, could be normal, unsure.
  7. Check "slow" windows, could be normal, unsure.
  8. Ensure no missing clips/pins/bolts. Found one missing in the rear wheel well and I fixed it myself but could be many others elsewhere I can't see.
Might as well just throw the kitchen sink at it...I don't want to go back ever! Mobile service can rotate my tires and change my filters in my driveway for hopefully my only needed future services!

Since I am driving all the way to Charlotte (3.5 hrs round trip) for a service appt next week, I went ahead and just put everything I could think of down:
  1. New card keys, warped at delivery
  2. Fix/reseat interior trim - rear trunk, front driver, rear passenger.
  3. Fix recessed rear door handles
  4. Wheel alignment, may be off from factory like I've read on this forum and I don't want uneven tire wear. Also it's free.
  5. Fix/glue passenger mirror trim.
  6. Check loose frunk trim, could be normal, unsure.
  7. Check "slow" windows, could be normal, unsure.
  8. Ensure no missing clips/pins/bolts. Found one missing in the rear wheel well and I fixed it myself but could be many others elsewhere I can't see.
Might as well just throw the kitchen sink at it...I don't want to go back ever! Mobile service can rotate my tires and change my filters in my driveway for hopefully my only needed future services!
Call them about the mirror trim. They didn’t have it in stock and have to do a mobile appointment to fix. If you’re driving that far, might be worth a shot to get them to preemptively order it.