Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delivery / Service Issues (panel gaps, delivery delays / issues / Service problems etc)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took delivery of my LR M3 this evening. Reading all of the poor delivery experiences I was concerned as to what I may find when viewing my new Tesla. All I can say is that car looks perfect. Paint is beautiful and there are no unusual panel gaps or alignment issues.

The drive home was great Excited for my 72 mile drive to work tomorrow.

Seems to be the experience for the vast majority of deliveries this quarter, at least so far!

Tim

The problem: Inconsistent wake up behavior when on WiFi without LTE.

Setup: Car sits underground, connected to the charger (charger connection seems to be irrelevant, unless charging is in progress, that's when car won't sleep, essentially delaying sleep), without LTE (grey bars crossed icon on UI, sometimes it flickers to 1 bar, but most of the time it's n/a). Car is connected to WiFi, which comes up after going into park. After some time car goes to sleep when not charging.

When accessing the car after it was asleep for awhile, for example next day, with the app it will say "Waking up..." and most of the time, after X seconds of spinning, it will say "Check Connection" and won't work, everything is grayed out. BUT after several tries it will wake up... or not wake up at all.

If anyone has more info on the "under the hood" behavior and options, please comment.

It uses the cellular connection to wake up. The wifi connection, even though connected, is not constantly active. You can check your router etc to verify this. So, if you have no cellular connection, the app wont be able to wake up the car.

Yours might work "sometimes" because you state that you "sometimes have 1 bar, sometimes have none". So, this is normal behavior in the use case you specify.

=========================================
(moderator note: modified thread title to better reflect what was is being asked)

Hi Everyone,
I ordered my M3P back in Dec 15th. Delivery was supposed to be by Dec 31st. They kept delaying my delivery date everyday until on Jan 5th my it disappeared. It finally reappeared 1 week ago. It said my delivery date was March 9-23. Everyday it got closer to March 9th they delayed it by one day until today when it disappeared again. I thought they began to deliver a lot of model 3s around this time of the quarter. Anyone have any idea what’s could be going on? I have had the financing all done and ready to go since Dec. Any help is much appreciated! Thank you.

My 2021 was delivered in February, outside in a snow storm. Hard to inspect that way. The guy at delivery said no problem, if there is an issue let them know and they will take care of it. So the very first time there is decent weather I wash car and find huge ding in the door. Did they take care of it? Nope. Had to fight service manager - pointing out they also left all sorts of packing tape on the car etc, did not even clean it (for example still had suction cup marks on windshield from install). Today they finally got me in and it looks like a child painted the spot on the door. Look horrible. But the service manager in Columbus, Ohio is obviously useless so if someone here can give me the number for the next person up the ladder that would be awesome. It stinks to have a $64,000 car delivered with chipped paint and not cleaned.
IMG_3286.jpg

https://forums.tesla.com/post/quote/183793/Discussion_183793
IMG_3287.PNG

After reading some of the horror stories here, I feel somewhat relieved with my delivery experience. Ordered a red 3 Plus on the morning of 4 March after a test drive with a stated "2 - 4 week delivery" time. The new delivery center in Fort Myers (25 miles from me) will open on 15 March, so it's anticipated that is where it will be picked-up. At 11:00 PM that night there's an update for me on shop.tesla.com to schedule my delivery for...4, 5, 6, 7 March! Called the next day and, yep, someone declined to make their purchase, so I scheduled my delivery for 7 March...in Tampa 110 miles away! The only panel misaligned was a low front trunk lid which I adjusted...not perfect, but much better. The outer left rear taillight sticks out 3/16" from the inner, so it's very obvious. There is one tiny imperfection in the paint on the front trunk lid that I missed on delivery. That's it...so far. Thanks! Charlie

Hi Everyone,

Recently picked up my MP3 performance. Only issue I have is the panel gap on the passenger door. I noticed the same gap on other new M3 in the service center delivery parking lot. The older M3s did not have this gap. I am submitting a service request, but wanted to check how common this is among all the new refresh M3s. Thanks.

M3P refresh panel gap:
View attachment 618882

Older M3 in parking lot no gap
View attachment 618883

So did any of you ever manage to get this gap corrected? Just took delivery of a 2021 M3P built on 2/25, and it’s absolutely perfect, except for a similar gap so it’s still happening.

I reported to service, just curious what the consensus is with the repair.

I can for sure live with it, especially if fixing causes other issues, but if easy I’ll get it corrected. Looks like there were several reported but can’t find any follow-up posts w/ corrections.

Tim

Last edited:
Reactions: ilikemypizza
So did any of you ever manage to get this gap corrected? Just took delivery of a 2021 M3P, and it’s absolutely perfect, except for a similar gap so it’s still happening.

I reported to service, just curious what the consensus is with the repair.

I can for sure live with it, especially if fixing causes other issues, but if easy I’ll get it corrected. Looks like there were several reported but can’t find any follow-up posts w/ corrections.

Tim
Hey Tim just checked mines and I don't have that gap. 2/21 Build.

Reactions: TBrownTX
Yes I really wish one of the original posters would come back and report, none of them ever followed up from what I saw. I made a service appointment and submitted pictures just to log the issue, would like to hear from some folks who had it fixed before I actually bring it in at some point. It's not a huge deal in the grand scheme of things, so no hurry as far as I'm concerned. I got it reported, so hopefully they'll honor the repair down the road.

Tim

Reactions: M321
Hi all, just took delivery today of a LR AWD. Car is amazing in every way, very happy with it. I tried to inspect the car as throughly as I could and no major issues. When I got home, I inspected a little closer and noticed some decent panel gap differences between the left top and right top area of the hood. I’m thinking I’ll contact my SC tomorrow and asked for it to be fixed. What do you think? Will they deem this “acceptable tolerances” and push back? Now that I know it’s there, it’s going to bother me, haha. I know I should have caught it when inspecting at the SC today but I missed it.

Thanks in advance!
F9D44E06-2CDF-4977-A621-D7298E5BBE2A.jpeg

Attachments

• 9B83F26C-3D8D-4C0F-AEA1-FE737CF7C578.jpeg
    9B83F26C-3D8D-4C0F-AEA1-FE737CF7C578.jpeg
    734.4 KB · Views: 139
  • 3F59A3A1-C536-47CA-8998-E0CA2FE910D2.jpeg
    3F59A3A1-C536-47CA-8998-E0CA2FE910D2.jpeg
    755.7 KB · Views: 144
  • Funny
Reactions: FOOLSLFDRVNG
Thanks! Is it really that easy to adjust? Any insights would be appreciated.

Never done it on the tesla since I haven't picked mine up yet but I've been modifying cars forever. Little stuff like this on cars doesn't bother me and my attitude is pretty much that I'd always rather fix little stuff myself than let the dealer touch it. If you're not comfortable touching it, at least it looks like something that tesla could send out a tech and do it at your house.

Reactions: TBrownTX
Took delivery the 03/24 and everything looked good until I really started to look. Rear trunk window has a gap on driver side and looks as if weatherstripping is missing. On the inside there are scuffs on the trim under the wood dash trim. Made a service appointment for Monday. Will post again when that is done.
BEE5E870-B6AC-4783-A140-F6242A14BCC1.jpeg
0097C84C-1074-4D4B-8F60-59D938461266.jpeg
79A412FD-D629-4077-B84C-5BD88B01B518.jpeg

Took delivery the 03/24 and everything looked good until I really started to look. Rear trunk window has a gap on driver side and looks as if weatherstripping is missing. On the inside there are scuffs on the trim under the wood dash trim. Made a service appointment for Monday. Will post again when that is done.View attachment 647999View attachment 648000View attachment 648001
I picked up my ‘21 M3LR last weekend, and noticed the same thing regarding the weather strip on the trunk on the driver side. I think that’s intentional due to the changes made for the powered trunk. I think the ‘21 uses a thicker strut on the driver side.

Excellent fit & finish, after taking delivery of M3P on 12-29-20. No funny body panel gaps, scratches or other stuff.
Two common problems reported here and on other forums became apparent over the last few weeks, but have now been fixed at the service center:

1. Wind noise, due to gaps between glass and window seals at B-pilars (replaced)
2. Foggy cameras in B-Pilars (both valances+ cameras replaced)