Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delivery / Service Issues (panel gaps, delivery delays / issues / Service problems etc)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got my September 2021 build Model 3 yesterday. Rear bumper doesn't seem properly installed. There's a gap that I can push back into place temporarily, but when I let go, it comes loose again. The other cars on the lot didn't have the issue.

At the contact-less delivery, the Tesla employee said there's nothing they could do, but I could request a service appointment through the app. I begrudgingly accepted delivery through the app and booked a service appointment -- earliest available appointment is two weeks from now.

Aside from the bumper issue, the panel gaps were pretty large and uneven, but those seem normal for Tesla. The bumper issue I'm more peeved about, because it looks like the car was in a minor collision. Hopefully it's a simple removal and reinstallation.

Got my September 2021 build Model 3 yesterday. Rear bumper doesn't seem properly installed. There's a gap that I can push back into place temporarily, but when I let go, it comes loose again. The other cars on the lot didn't have the issue.

At the contact-less delivery, the Tesla employee said there's nothing they could do, but I could request a service appointment through the app. I begrudgingly accepted delivery through the app and booked a service appointment -- earliest available appointment is two weeks from now.

Aside from the bumper issue, the panel gaps were pretty large and uneven, but those seem normal for Tesla. The bumper issue I'm more peeved about, because it looks like the car was in a minor collision. Hopefully it's a simple removal and reinstallation.
M3P delivered today. Driver door is slightly misaligned. I have to use a bit of force to shut it completely. Curb rash on one rim. Front underbody trim is torn and broken. Tesla service center said they would fix it asap. Next available appointment is 2 weeks from now. Super annoying. It takes the joy out of the new vehicle. If the service center says everything is "within spec" I'm going donkey kong.

• Informative
Reactions: l10l
I suppose I was one of the lucky ones. M3 AWD LR, everything looks great. Got it on Sept 4 of this year and with a trained eye looked it over. Exterior and interior nice. The ONLY thing not quite right...the drivers door has to be closed with more force than it should, all others close and lock fine.
Drives straight and smooth, but I do hear a slight noise on the interior..some rattle maybe. ( not loose change, that is spent :D )
Will have the Tesla on site person readjust the door at some point. ( maybe I spoke too soon,who knows)
THIS! Received M3P today. My driver door also needs more force to close. I have to purposely close it firmly. If I just swing it closed and walk away, it may not shut completely. The door is ever so slightly misaligned. I noticed the panel gap is larger on the top than the bottom looking from the side of the vehicle. I made an appointment - hopefully they can fix it.

• Informative
Reactions: l10l

Can you post pic ?

I just took delivery of my M3 SR+ yesterday and the car is great. However in looking more closely at the car, I’ve noticed incomplete paint work in “hidden” parts of the car, e.g., inside the panel where the door hinge attaches to the vehicle, under the frunk hood, and around the hinges on the trunk.

I am planning to report this, but wanted to see if anyone else had any similar issues. I’ve attached a couple of images here.

Attachments

• E0534667-15B9-4DBD-A5A3-963572D18C9D.jpeg
    E0534667-15B9-4DBD-A5A3-963572D18C9D.jpeg
    470.9 KB · Views: 212
  • C651B77A-55E1-42CD-870A-9A3060ED14AE.jpeg
    C651B77A-55E1-42CD-870A-9A3060ED14AE.jpeg
    366.9 KB · Views: 173
I just took delivery of my M3 SR+ yesterday and the car is great. However in looking more closely at the car, I’ve noticed incomplete paint work in “hidden” parts of the car, e.g., inside the panel where the door hinge attaches to the vehicle, under the frunk hood, and around the hinges on the trunk.

I am planning to report this, but wanted to see if anyone else had any similar issues. I’ve attached a couple of images here.

Normal (and not just for Tesla).

Tim

Normal (and not just for Tesla).

Tim
That’s new to me. I’ve never had a vehicle that had incomplete paint in these areas. I’ve owned Toyota, Acura, VW, Nissan, Audi, Lexus and BMW and I’ve never seen this before. I also worked at Kia years ago and never even saw this with their cars. Is it just domestic brands that paint this way?

My main concern is whether this may cause any potential rusting or damage long term.

That’s new to me. I’ve never had a vehicle that had incomplete paint in these areas. I’ve owned Toyota, Acura, VW, Nissan, Audi, Lexus and BMW and I’ve never seen this before. I also worked at Kia years ago and never even saw this with their cars. Is it just domestic brands that paint this way?

My main concern is whether this may cause any potential rusting or damage long term.

That's not bare metal exposed, it'll be fine.

Tim

Can you post pic ?

Well...after 18 days of ownership I have calmed down..and still love the car, but..as far as body panels..and glass gaps...I would say Tesla is just "average". Headlights are at slightly different heights about the body..about 1/8" difference. I would say 1/8 differences are in a number of areas...but I can live with it.
The Audi vehicles I had were better in fit. Still love the Tesla though.
I would like to restate the above. Everything is between 3 and 4 mm, roof glass off a bit more. No complaints.

It may be fine, but I would still expect a more thorough paint job than a 1998 Kia.

Is everyone’s M3 painted this way?
I can find a few spots that aren’t fully covered with body color paint, probably more of them than on the 2018 I traded in where I couldn’t see any. Nothing as obvious as yours, but mine is white so maybe I’m just not looking hard enough. FWIW I‘ve seen many photos similar to yours

Reactions: Pablocrisp
Incorrect. Normal for Tesla maybe, but wouldn't pass QC on other brands.

Wrong…

Many more examples out there, there were just the top hits on my search engine.

Tm

Reactions: SanCarlosJeff
Wrong…

Many more examples out there, there were just the top hits on my search engine.

Tm
A handful of cases found via Google search don’t make this practice any more acceptable. It further makes me question Tesla’s quality control and standards.

Reactions: MachAF
A handful of cases found via Google search don’t make this practice any more acceptable. It further makes me question Tesla’s quality control and standards.

I was simply illustrating that this is not limited to Tesla as was implied by a previous poster. Nor is it a QC issue, Tesla is saving paint costs by thinning areas not visible unless you are looking in the jams. Agree or not, it’s one of many ways they keep the price down. But if not acceptable to you personally, go spend your money elsewhere.

Tim

They can’t repaint those areas easily. It would require disassembly of the car, and likely lots of overspray.

But if reporting it makes you feel better, or you feel it provides some protection if you have a problem down the road, it can’t hurt.

FWIW my doors look exactly the same (also blue). Probably not as noticeable on lighter color cars like white.

Tim

Attachments

• 6BD1DB1A-F0AC-45E6-A188-B3FD8436BDA7.jpeg
    6BD1DB1A-F0AC-45E6-A188-B3FD8436BDA7.jpeg
    320 KB · Views: 171
Last edited:
They can’t repaint those areas easily. It would require disassembly of the car, and likely lots of overspray.

But if reporting it makes you feel better, or you feel it provides some protection if you have a problem down the road, it can’t hurt.

FWIW my doors look exactly the same (also blue). Probably not as noticeable on lighter color cars like white.

Tim
Thanks. This is not ideal, but I suppose it is what it is at this point. Regardless of whether they can do anything about it and assuming this will cause no issues in the future, I will raise the issue with Tesla. They don’t seem to care what their customers think because their vehicles remain in high demand. But I do hope they will start to listen to their customers and change their practices so that when we buy another Tesla in the future the quality will improve and the corner cutting will cease.

@TBrownTX thanks for engaging and providing this info. I meant no offense to you personally and appreciate the dialogue and perspective you’ve provided.

Thanks. This is not ideal, but I suppose it is what it is at this point. Regardless of whether they can do anything about it and assuming this will cause no issues in the future, I will raise the issue with Tesla. They don’t seem to care what their customers think because their vehicles remain in high demand. But I do hope they will start to listen to their customers and change their practices so that when we buy another Tesla in the future the quality will improve and the corner cutting will cease.

@TBrownTX thanks for engaging and providing this info. I meant no offense to you personally and appreciate the dialogue and perspective you’ve provided.

No offense at all... I should have left that last sentence off of post #576, it sounded combative and was not necessary. Enjoy your new Tesla!

Tim