Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delivery / Service Issues (panel gaps, delivery delays / issues / Service problems etc)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m ready to place an order for my Model 3. However I have heard rumors/read threads that talk about how the end of quarter quality decreases (more than normal) as they rush to produce cars.

I am in no rush to take delivery so here is my question:

Is it better to order now and take advantage of their “free supercharging for one year” special (end of year special)

Or

wait till early 2021 for a vehicle that’s hopefully not hastily put together.

Is it better to order now and take advantage of their “free supercharging for one year” special (end of year special)

Unless you put tremendous value on a year of free supercharging, I'd suggest waiting. Also, there's no guarantee that you'd be able to take delivery of a custom ordered car by the end of the year. To take advantage of this offer, you'd more likely have to buy an existing new/demo inventory car which would already have been built.

Reactions: yaya21
Unless you put tremendous value on a year of free supercharging, I'd suggest waiting. Also, there's no guarantee that you'd be able to take delivery of a custom ordered car by the end of the year. To take advantage of this offer, you'd more likely have to buy an existing new/demo inventory car which would already have been built.

I asked my sales advisor this exact question and he stated that as long as my order is placed by end of day today, they were confident they could get it to me before end of year (I live in Dallas, TX).

not only am I skeptical of that claim, it also raises the concern about build quality if they’re just rocketing these cars out

I asked my sales advisor this exact question and he stated that as long as my order is placed by end of day today, they were confident they could get it to me before end of year (I live in Dallas, TX).

not only am I skeptical of that claim, it also raises the concern about build quality if they’re just rocketing these cars out

just to inform you, the cut off for orders were supposedly 12/8. at the rate that Tesla is going now with deliveries you most *likely* will not take delivery by EOY. however, like someone posted, if you take a inventory car, which they state is not many or at all, as all of them are *pre-production* its again unlikely. the free supercharger is great to have, but its not the be all do all to be honest. Supercharging should be used for road tripping. you should be using home charging for 90% of your charging needs if *possible* of course do what you have to do. But I would say don't let that incentive guide you. its nice to have but after the newest wears off, you will find yourself charging at home when needed. plus lots of supercharging is not recommend for longevity of the battery. I say order now either way, because most likely you your delivery may slip into 2021. now it also depends on what you are ordering, location, trim level, etc. with you being in Texas, I would say its a little late to expect a delivery this year but I guess it could happen. you are right to worry about QC problems with end of quarter pushes. especially EOY. they are on a mission, and they will do everything they can to hit it. I wish you well on your purchase. if you order, you will overall love the product. it may have some QC issue, which they normally try to fix. but welcome to the Tesla family. it will be a ride you will enjoy for the most part. the hardest part is waiting for the car to come and what color combo to pick. have a great rest of your weekend.

The notion that quality suffers at the end of each quarter is more myth than reality. The process you go through to purchase a car is going to be the same regardless of when the car was built.

You place your order. You go to the delivery center when it’s ready. You do a thorough inspection of the car before giving Tesla any money. If the car is in good condition you accept it. If not, you reject it and ask for another one.

So there is absolutely no reason to wait until next quarter to place your order if you are ready to buy. If you can get the free supercharging, why not go for it? Worst case is you get offered a car that you are not happy with, you reject it, and you wait until another one is available, even if it means losing the free miles.

I think the only way this would be possible at this point is if Tesla happens to have an inventory car or a car already being built that matches your order. Tesla does build a good amount of cars on spec to try to match with custom orders for faster delivery. You could also place the order and if they don't meet the EOY deadline, cancel.

I'm also waiting for a trade-in offer tomorrow... which I'll most likely decline. Austin guy said I could get a 2021 M3 LR white/white before EOY with 90% certainty if ordered Monday. He also said they're opening a showroom in El Paso, TX, where I live, so no need to drive to Austin anymore. Tesla should offer the free supercharging is ORDERED before EOY, not having delivery, as it's not up to us, but I understand. Hope to talk to the future manager tomorrow, and see if he agrees he could get cars here. Googled El Paso Tesla showroom, and zero hits. Maybe they'll use the same service shop they're using. Will ask tomorrow.

You place your order. You go to the delivery center when it’s ready. You do a thorough inspection of the car before giving Tesla any money.

One small correction. If you live in Texas, you will need to prepay the entire amount before Tesla can ship the car (in to Texas). Additionally, you will need to have purchased car insurance with the vin number a week (or two) before it gets shipped into Texas.

Apparently this is Texas law right now.

You can still inspect the car and refuse delivery. Unfortunately you can not get in the car before accepting the agreement. I just looked at the paint job (and it was fine), before accepting it. I have had zero problems and am 100% satisfied with it.

Reactions: Siromnom
You can still inspect the car and refuse delivery. Unfortunately you can not get in the car before accepting the agreement. I just looked at the paint job (and it was fine), before accepting it. I have had zero problems and am 100% satisfied with it.

Exactly my experience last quarter in TX as well.

If you haven't ordered yet, I'd strongly suspect you'd get an inventory car sitting somewhere if anything by the end of the year...but who knows. Sometimes delivery dates seem like the lottery...and your odds may go up if looking for a perf/LR.

How's this for end of quarter quality? Techs cant adjust them, so it's going to a body shop.

Attachments

• IMG_20201213_120703.jpg
    IMG_20201213_120703.jpg
    266.9 KB · Views: 1,390
  • IMG_20201213_120807.jpg
    IMG_20201213_120807.jpg
    383.7 KB · Views: 1,062
  • IMG_20201213_120602.jpg
    IMG_20201213_120602.jpg
    339.4 KB · Views: 1,038
Holy crap! That's worse than Ford, and that's saying something. Ha ha. That's not helping having to pay for the entire car 2 weeks in advance before it gets here. Thank you. Ha ha. Seriously, what are you going to do? I'd absolutely refuse delivery of something like that. It looks like the car was hit, no? Can't believe it'd leave the factory like that. Good luck brother.

Last edited:
Holy crap! That's worse than Ford, and that's saying something. Ha ha. That's not helping having to pay for the entire car 2 weeks in advance before it gets here. Thank you. Ha ha. Seriously, what are you going to do? I'd absolutely refuse delivery of something like that. It looks like the car was hit, no? Can't believe it'd leave the factory like that. Good luck brother.
Well, well find out today. They have u til 2pm to give me a full break down on what is bein done at body shop to get it ready for delivery. Chances are, I will be rejecting it and it will go back into rotation for someone else with out knowing the history. I'm seriously considering just cancelling my order all together. Perhaps make an order in the spring. Lots of emotion right now. Lol been a roller coaster.

I’d be embarrassed if I was a SA/Delivery Coordinator and had to present that car to a customer.
and the sad part about this is, they will try in some cases to present that car to someone. honestly they would. however if they fix it and disclosed that its really not that bad. long as its disclosed. but other companies have the same issues. which some turn into demo cars and then get sold later for a slight discount. which is ok

Reactions: RefreshedP
and the sad part about this is, they will try in some cases to present that car to someone. honestly they would. however if they fix it and disclosed that its really not that bad. long as its disclosed. but other companies have the same issues. which some turn into demo cars and then get sold later for a slight discount. which is ok

Work that minor - and yes, that’s minor - doesn’t need to be disclosed.
The only real difference between a Tesla and any other car is that the other guys have a dealership PDI process that Tesla doesn’t.

Stuff gets fixed all the time. Entire body panels get replaced and the car is sold as new without any disclosure. Totally normal.
It’s like sausage - if you enjoy it, you shouldn’t see it being made.

Last edited:
Found out today, the car will be in the body shop for paint and panel correction for next 10 days. I've been unmatched from the car and have a new one bein built. The really crap part, is I will probably lose out on the supercharging incentive now. Unless a miracle happens and it arrives by the 31st.

Work that minor - and yes, that’s minor - doesn’t need to be disclosed.
The only real difference between a Tesla and any other car is that the other guys have a dealership PDI process that Tesla doesn’t.

Stuff gets fixed all the time. Entire body panels get replaced and the car is sold as new without any disclosure. Totally normal.
It’s like sausage - if you enjoy it, you shouldn’t see it being made.
I did make that statement that other car companies have the same issues. just to be clear. working at a few in my lifetime we did turn them into demos or tester units and then they would be sold at discount later or around 10k miles on them ish however that was a long time ago. :)

Reactions: dmurphy