Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delivery / Service Issues (panel gaps, delivery delays / issues / Service problems etc)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all, I'm looking for some advice this situation. I ordered my M3P on 10/13/22 and took delivery (very quickly) on 10/20/22. The delivery went very smoothly and everything on the car looked and functioned perfectly. At delivery it had 15 miles on it. Unfortunately, I completely forgot to look under the car to check the undercarriage.

About eight days later I went to give it the first wash and as I was cleaning the wheels I noticed a huge gouge in the metal of what I've since found out is the jack point on the front driver's side (attached image from the service manual), along with a long puncture in the plastic rocker panel on that side. At the time I noticed this the car had about 140 miles on it. After some research I learned that some others have seen this before and that it most likely happened during shipping from the factory, the car must have been strapped down incorrectly or something.

I immediately opened up a service request and scheduled an appointment for 11/7/22, and was advised by the SC to bring it by before that to have someone take a quick look. I went by and everyone at my local SC was very nice and helpful. They had the lead tech come out and she was immediately shocked by the damage. They weren't sure how this was going to be fixed, I believe I heard one of them say that it was going to possibly be a HV battery swap. They let me know that when I bring it in on the 7th they'll immediately take it to the body shop for repair, but couldn't say what the actual repair will be until I bring it in for the appointment. That all makes sense to me. They also told me that it will be a warranty repair.

My worry now is that if the entire battery needs to be replaced, since as far as I can tell the metal from the jack points is shared by the metal covering the HV battery, I'm not sure I feel comfortable having such a major repair done on a brand new car. Would it make sense to ask them if the car can be replaced? What would you do?
What was your outcome to this situation..

Had a 2019 Model X Long Range that had almost no quality control issues besides hideously wide gaps, and a 2022 Model X Plaid that had terrible gaps, misaligned FWD, a ripped captain's chair, and a whole slew of items I won't get into... ultimately turned me off from Tesla so much that immediately I jumped ship and bought the total opposite, a 2021 Yukon XL. Frankly, I hate gas cars and want to get back into BEV, so I was thinking of getting a new Model 3 now for the tax credit and for the "bigger car" needs a Kia EV9 down the road.

My question though is, has the production quality improved over the last year or two? Do the cars still have a huge variance in gaps and fit/finish? I feel like this question is ridiculous since they aren't a small company anymore, but damn, I cannot forget picking up my brand new Plaid X and seeing that it passed their delivery inspection with a huge tear in the seat and basically coercing me to accept delivery or be on the waitlist for another year or so (from what they told me)