Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delivery / Service Issues (panel gaps, delivery delays / issues / Service problems etc)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They "claim" this is normal due to the stripping and power lift mechanism. With that said, I know plenty of 2021s, including a guy I work with, where the alignment is near perfect even though the weather strip doesn't go all the way up. The issue obviously is, whatever order they are putting the glass on, and I assume it is going windshield, then sun roof or rear roof, if you have the front or next piece of glass off on the sunroof, you have no choice to get the lines of the glass/gaps between them, so what ends up happening is it ends up being a simple 2mm shifted to the right side of the trunk and moved off the left side giving that gap. Alignment issues all start with the first piece of glass, quarter panels/trunk etc...how they are installed/aligned. It could easily be resolved at the factory by having tighter standards/methods of installing all of the glass/panels and ensuring it is all set correctly..but they don't care, they are just throwing these things together as fast as possible and just giving the old same, hey, it's supposed to be like that and within "tolerances"...blah blah.

So to finish this rant, I take my car in to have them review/resolve several issues, they ended up fixing half of them. 3 of those were obvious, dented speaker grill, sunken door handle, and the front fender/quarter panel gap that meet next to the hood/headlight...well of course, they fix something then make the alignment of the hood like 1mm from hitting the panels now upon closing and screwed it up almost as bad from a visual inspection.

Unreal...how they were just to supposed to get the bumper piece lower that was poking up, all alignment was good, to match the quarter panel piece, and end up having it shifted closer to the hood is beyond me the piece that wasn't the problem....sigh...just a joke their QC and standards. Never see this with any other premium brand....

Now instead of the gaps looking perfect all around, I have this on the right front. As mentioned, the hood gap all around was perfect like the left front is, not anymore...thanks Tesla service!!!

And as I've posted prior, here is my trunk and my coworker's. See the slight difference? Part is the trunk being off on the left side and not matching exactly with the top roof line, the other part is the glass being misalinged..just a few millimeters and this is the result between a good alignment and a bad one. Then, if you move the trunk and adjust that over...guess what, now you have a gap between the rear quarter and trunk that is too big...so there are multiple issues.

Ok enough, you get the point...it is just bad factory QC/tolerances and techniques at Tesla.
I've seen here several people complaining of the frunk misalignment, and someone who got pushback from the delivery person and told they could not fix it. They showed him several other cars in the lot with the same misalignment. That will be one of the first things I look at, but I am not sure yet how to react. It's too bad that this is allowed to happen, being a known issue for Tesla.

View attachment 705515I just picked up my model 3 SR+ yesterday and I noticed today that the plastic next to the passenger side mirror has green specks on it. I think it might be an adhesive from shipping it. It doesn’t come off from rubbing it. Does anyone have any idea of what it is or how to remove it? Thanks
In the pic they look like paint chips and not adhesive. Please let us know if alcohol worked.

Reactions: megansblonde
Reactions: SanCarlosJeff
Reading this thread have me kind of angry. It is one thing for Tesla to build cars that is not perfect. It is entirely another problem for Tesla's quality control team at the factory *AND* the local delivery team to not find and fix these problems befoer delivery, and now it is up to their customers to find the problems themselves? WTF is that? So, when I go take delivery of the car I ordered, it is a game that I have go Easter egg hunt all the Tesla's build problems? I have bought many cars before, never did I need to play this delivery quality problem Easter egg hunt game.

First thing I am going to ask the person who will handle my delivery is "You must have delivered, what, tens or hundreds of Tesla cars? What problems have you found on my car that you are not telling me?"

It is entirely another problem for Tesla's quality control team at the factory *AND* the local delivery team to not find and fix these problems befoer delivery, and now it is up to their customers to find the problems themselves?
Completely agree. I knew going into this that "Tesla quality ha ha what a meme etc etc" but to find 2 paint chips and a mis-aligned bumper it very sh*t on a $100,000 AUD car. We didn't even think to check the Audi when collecting that but this one was a mission to just make sure we were collecting something of 'ok' quality.

Reactions: Futaba
So, when I go take delivery of the car I ordered, it is a game that I have go Easter egg hunt all the Tesla's build problems? I have bought many cars before, never did I need to play this delivery quality problem Easter egg hunt game.

Your previously purchased cars probably had issues too, you just never looked for them. If you look for imperfections, you will find them.

Tim

Your previously purchased cars probably had issues too, you just never looked for them. If you look for imperfections, you will find them.

Tim
I have driven them for years after deliveries. I wash them myself. If there were manufacturing problems that could be found visually on the day of delivery, I would have found them when I detailed them after delivery.

Tim
I've been buying cars for 3 decades now. If a car had issues I noticed them, and took them back to the dealership to get them fixed. Those dealerships never gave me issues because they know it's a new car.
Comparative to companies like Toyota, Ford, Honda, Subaru, Mazda, VW, BMW, Mercedes... Tesla has a lot of issues with cars coming off the assembly line AND not being fixed by QA prior to delivery.
It's like Tesla is saying, "Fu#$ it. If the customer doesn't like it, then screw them. We've got 10 people lining up to buy this bent up Model 3."

Reactions: Rodney! and Futaba
I have driven them for years after deliveries. I wash them myself. If there were manufacturing problems that could be found visually on the day of delivery, I would have found them when I detailed them after delivery.

Same here. In fact my last car, a 2015 Cadillac ATS, had bumper gaps really similar to the red model 3 earlier in this thread upon delivery. It also developed stinky AC, and had a really noisy vacuum pump. Took several trips back to get it all right in the first year. I’ve had a few other similar experiences in the past too, YMMV.

Tim

I just picked up my model 3 yesterday and it was missing the same piece. I asked someone about it and it turns out it is ok. If the rubber was there it would rub on the arm that lifts the trunk. Hope this helps!
It does rub, however since the lift arm is made of hard plastic and hard rubber and the weatherstripe is soft rubber, if it wears out in a year or two I'll just replace it. The cost per foot is only a few cents.
IMG_1210.JPG
IMG_1209.JPG
IMG_1211.JPG
IMG_1212.JPG

Took delivery 2 weeks ago. Love the car but have a small frunk misalignment as well. Might be slightly warped but the Tesla advisor that assisted me on delivery said it’s within spec. Guess I’ll just have to live with it. Adjusted rubber stoppers on the inside and that helped a bit. I assume plenty of us have to live with these “within spec” frunks haha

Reactions: Teagerton5
Took delivery 2 weeks ago. Love the car but have a small frunk misalignment as well. Might be slightly warped but the Tesla advisor that assisted me on delivery said it’s within spec. Guess I’ll just have to live with it. Adjusted rubber stoppers on the inside and that helped a bit. I assume plenty of us have to live with these “within spec” frunks haha
"Within spec" means "we are not going to do anything about it. Take it or leave it. We have tons of buyers waiting to buy this car if you don't like it." I would ask "what does the spec call for?" What are the upper bound and lower bound limits for the spec?"

Last edited:
Reactions: KK35
"Within spec" means "we are not going to do anything about it. Take it or leave it. We have tons of buyers waiting to buy this car if you don't like it." I would ask "what does the spec all for?" What are the upper bound and lower bound limits for the spec?"
Yup you’re exactly right. I’m fine with a small frunk misalignment over some of the bigger issues some have had. Wish they’d explain what their “spec” limits are for gaps

Reactions: SanCarlosJeff
odd situation... seems like you would have noticed major paint damage while collecting the car initially? if he's noticed a few spots I would see if the sc would just touch up those few spots? not sure why he would have accepted the vehicle with major paint damage all over
I agree that it sounds a bit odd.. I haven’t seen the car myself and probably never will because it’s still at the body shop, but my friend says the damage is only visible when light shines obliquely across the surface so it wasn’t all that apparent when he collected it. But setting aside whether he was remiss for not noticing it upon collection, it is Tesla’s body shop partner who described it as a major issue requiring a full respray, which my friend is arguing is way beyond normal “expected paint chips” for an approved used vehicle with 8000 miles on the clock. In the past few days Tesla have offered him the respray for £3500 rather than £5000 but that’s as much as they’ve budged so far.