Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delivery / Service Issues (panel gaps, delivery delays / issues / Service problems etc)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Happens all the time. Cars get damaged in transport, too.

Only difference is that other mfr’s have dealers at the other end, not end customers.

I’m not saying it’s right but cars roll in to every dealership banged up all. the. time. You just don’t know it because it gets fixed prior to delivery.
One of the door handles on my 3 is recessed (not quite as bad as pictured above) but I don't want to take it in because 1) I don't want to take at least an hour out of my day PLUS be without my car (free Uber credits at least? wooooo LOL) for probably a whole day or more, and 2) I have no faith they'll actually fix it properly AND not cause some new problem. Last time I took my 3 in for service for warranty work, they fixed the issue but later I found out they forgot to re-attach the middle rear seatbelt. Took me a couple days to realize something was wrong with the seatbelt (Why is it hanging like that?).

Also, I really wonder what the pre-delivery inspection process is at Tesla stores. "OK, nothing obviously damaged and it's not missing any doors or wheels....g2g baby! Give it a quick wash and on to the next!"

Reactions: Panel Gaps
Promised myself that I would post here even if the car came perfect, which, for the most part, the car almost is. Been a lurker for a while on the forums, but just picked up my car over the weekend.

Ordered October of last year.

Luckily overall I think everything was almost perfect. A few minor things that I don't even think I would bother getting fixed, although I will post them here and see what the forum thinks. It's definitely not BMW/Honda/Toyota levels of fit/finish, but it's nothing drastically bad. Overall happy with the build after seeing some of the horror stories here.

• The back drivers side door handle is a little recessed. That door is also harder to close than all the others. All the other doors the door closes normally, this one takes a little force.
  • The charge port door seems a little too low and is almost, if not definitely, touching the bottom part of the car, seems to work fine otherwise, concern is for the future. The door is flush with the area though.
  • The right side of the car where the trunk meets the trim is a little raised, not too concerned about this, nothing touching.
  • Where the trunk meets the glass seems a bit raised. Not sure if this is normal or not. Doesn't seem like an issue, but something I noticed. Not sure if that's just how it fits.

Would any of you make appointments for any of these? Can these all be done by mobile service? My concern is getting the car even worse if they have to start ripping apart everything. I'm fine with the issues I see as long as they are not functional problems. Is there any way to report these issues without actually scheduling a service appointment, just for the record?

thanks
Promised myself that I would post here even if the car came perfect, which, for the most part, the car almost is. Been a lurker for a while on the forums, but just picked up my car over the weekend.

Ordered October of last year.

Luckily overall I think everything was almost perfect. A few minor things that I don't even think I would bother getting fixed, although I will post them here and see what the forum thinks. It's definitely not BMW/Honda/Toyota levels of fit/finish, but it's nothing drastically bad. Overall happy with the build after seeing some of the horror stories here.

• The back drivers side door handle is a little recessed. That door is also harder to close than all the others. All the other doors the door closes normally, this one takes a little force.
  • The charge port door seems a little too low and is almost, if not definitely, touching the bottom part of the car, seems to work fine otherwise, concern is for the future. The door is flush with the area though.
  • The right side of the car where the trunk meets the trim is a little raised, not too concerned about this, nothing touching.
  • Where the trunk meets the glass seems a bit raised. Not sure if this is normal or not. Doesn't seem like an issue, but something I noticed. Not sure if that's just how it fits.

Would any of you make appointments for any of these? Can these all be done by mobile service? My concern is getting the car even worse if they have to start ripping apart everything. I'm fine with the issues I see as long as they are not functional problems. Is there any way to report these issues without actually scheduling a service appointment, just for the record?

thanks
Looks like my M3P looked, I should have declined it, I sold it with 600 miles on it, couldn't stand to look at the flaws and the service center here sucks, they couldn't fix any of it.

Reactions: ColoradoMike
Hi,

Model 3 2022

There is contamination that appears to be a fingerprint on the inner silver reflector only when the headlight is turned on.

Is there a case like this?

Unfortunately this is visible even when I'm standing. :eek:

I reported to the service center. I'm going to visit today.

model3_2022.jpeg

I took delivery of a new M3 LR. The back door is slightly proud of the front. Eg sticks out 2 or 3 mm. They said “no problem” schedule and appointment. Did that.

Broke my arm, so my wife brought it in for the door adjustment. They didn’t fix it and told her “wait a couple of months for the seals to settle” and “we buffered some mark out we found. Aren’t we great”.

I feel “waiting for the seals to settle” is bs and they took advantage of my wife. “They’re the experts honey” …. But figured I’d ask.. is there any chance that the foam seal is going to move how the metal door sits in 2 months of waiting?

Has anybody else experienced a car computer issue on 2022 Model 3 Long Range?

My 2022 Model 3 Long Range stopped showing surrounding cars during the second week of ownership. At the same time, the autopilot became unavailable. I took it to a Tesla Service Station when the Odometer reading was 1500 miles, and it’s been there for almost 2 weeks, and I still don’t know when it is fixed.

I planned to use my Tesla to accelerate EV transition of the community I live, and I had a lot of buddies who were very interested in my experience with Tesla. This issue backfired on me. Many friends who were considering a Tesla were completely turned away. It made me look a big fool, and my talk about the importance of electrification lost credibility. The EV doubters are using my story as the proof of why we should not leave the ICE. I feel I ended up helping the preservation of ICE, and I cannot take this any longer.

Having an issue like this erases all the progress we made on both the quality improvement of automobile in the US and electrification. I hope Tesla Executives read my post and take some action so that this will never happen again with any other customers.

Does anybody have an issue like this? What was the fix and how quick was it fixed? What did you do to regain the interest in EVs and Tesla among your friends?

You can always message in the app to ask for a status update on the service (or text back to the same number if they texted you in the past about this service).

As for this erasing the progress of EVs, I highly doubt this would make a difference. Doesn't sound like the problem with your car had anything to do with the EV part, only the AP part, which can be related to the cameras. As pointed out, any car model out there (even from traditional makes) can have problems in early ownership. After you get the car back and drive it for longer and the rest of your friends live with high gas prices, they may change their minds.

Last edited:
You can always message in the app to ask for a status update on the service (or text back to the same number if they texted you in the past about this service).

As for this erasing the progress of EVs, I highly doubt this would make a difference. Doesn't sound like the problem with you car had anything to do with the EV part, only the AP part, which can be related to the cameras. As pointed out, any car model out there (even from traditional makes) can have problems in early ownership. After you get the car back and drive it for longer and the rest of your friends live with high gas prices, they may change their minds.
We exchange text messages daily. The service team is great, and they keep me up to date. They went through a few things and today, they installed a new car computer. Hopefully this fixes it. They will come back on Monday to confirm. I am well aware of the current state of traditional cars. I worked years in automotive industry and well aware of JD Power quality index. I did not mention this, but the nearest Tesla Service Center is 2 hour drive vs, we have all other car dealers in a short drive. This magnifies an issue on Tesla greatly, and for Tesla to achieve a deeper penetration of EV, they have to realize their quality baseline has to be an order of magnitude higher. Decarbonization requires a deeper EV conversion in smaller cities in the United States and this is what I am trying to help.

Reactions: Maric
With respect, please consider that even the best and expensive ICE vehicles, can also encounter similar problems during early ownership. Lastly, consider that of the nearly 2M teslas out there, we hardly ever read about problems such as this. THEY will make it right for you.
I am confident that they will make it right eventually. I have years in automotive, some in the quality area so I am well aware of the current state of ICE. Big difference here is the nearest Tesla Service Center is 140 miles away vs. ten miles for Ford. An issue causes much bigger impact to the customer for Tesla. I would not be happy to be same as the conventional automobile if I were leading Tesla’s quality team, and believe in the rapid and deeper EV conversion.

We exchange text messages daily. The service team is great, and they keep me up to date. They went through a few things and today, they installed a new car computer. Hopefully this fixes it. They will come back on Monday to confirm. I am well aware of the current state of traditional cars. I worked years in automotive industry and well aware of JD Power quality index. I did not mention this, but the nearest Tesla Service Center is 2 hour drive vs, we have all other car dealers in a short drive. This magnifies an issue on Tesla greatly, and for Tesla to achieve a deeper penetration of EV, they have to realize their quality baseline has to be an order of magnitude higher. Decarbonization requires a deeper EV conversion in smaller cities in the United States and this is what I am trying to help.
You made it sound like they were ghosting you and not working on your car. It sounds like your car had a rare problem and they are doing their best to fix it. As for the service network, it has more to do with Tesla being a newer/smaller company. For others that can't deal with that, they can always buy an EV from a traditional automaker.

Don't sweat "hurting transition to EV"... that's going to happen with or without you. California and New York alone represent 1/6 of the nation's population, and they're both set to abolish ICE vehicles.

Sorry about your experience... I'm sure it'll work out in the end.

Has anybody else experienced a car computer issue on 2022 Model 3 Long Range?

My 2022 Model 3 Long Range stopped showing surrounding cars during the second week of ownership. At the same time, the autopilot became unavailable. I took it to a Tesla Service Station when the Odometer reading was 1500 miles, and it’s been there for almost 2 weeks, and I still don’t know when it is fixed.
I had a problem like this last week. Turns out the windshield in front of the camera was dirty. Cleaning it with Windex fixed everything.

...autopilot became unavailable...
Even with a great and properly functioning Autopilot, it's still beta and not production/consumer quality anyway.

It's a convenience feature and lots of ICE and EVs don't have that either (some do but only work on highways only).

Thus, using Autopilot as a reason to ditch EV is quite overacting.

The selling point for EVs right now is not Autopilot but because of rising gasoline prices.

I planned to use my Tesla to accelerate EV transition of the community I live, and I had a lot of buddies who were very interested in my experience with Tesla. This issue backfired on me. Many friends who were considering a Tesla were completely turned away. It made me look a big fool, and my talk about the importance of electrification lost credibility. The EV doubters are using my story as the proof of why we should not leave the ICE. I feel I ended up helping the preservation of ICE, and I cannot take this any longer.

(not moderation content. Not representing TMC, TMC moderators or anyone other than jjrandorin the regular poster, not jjrandorin the moderator)

A Tesla car is just that, a "Car", not a religion. Dont worry about what they are driving, enjoy what you want to drive. There is room for both, and there is no need to "convert" anyone.

That sounds way too evangelical to me, even though you are certainly not the only person to go down that road. This is not 2010 in relation to EVs, there will be many choices, and they will or wont buy one as they see fit. Let them.