Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delivery / Service Issues (panel gaps, delivery delays / issues / Service problems etc)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Took delivery the 03/24 and everything looked good until I really started to look. Rear trunk window has a gap on driver side and looks as if weatherstripping is missing. On the inside there are scuffs on the trim under the wood dash trim. Made a service appointment for Monday. Will post again when that is done.View attachment 647999View attachment 648000View attachment 648001
We found out the missing weatherstrip is normal for cars with the power trunk. It's designed that way.

Reactions: TBrownTX and Dan33
My car one issue on delivery- a half inch thin scratch that cut the paint in a door panel. SC tried to buff it but could not. Requires a few days in a body shop to repaint the door. Not terribly motivated as the tiny scratch does not bother me and I’m concerned the door repaint might not exactly match the rest, but SC wants to fix it at some point. Later discovered a rattle in the passenger seat belt when seat is unoccupied and that was promptly fixed. Nothing else so far. Have had the car for a month now.

Today is the first day I could actually look at my car at daylight hours (14hr work days). Found some very very large missed buffing swirls. I've own the car for 48 hours and submitted a service request early afternoon. I hope they won't charge me to fix it. Anyone have any problems on fixes past the 24 hour period?

Picked up the M3 LR white yesterday. Very pleased with how everything went. Very minimal panel gap issues one or two dust nibs, not on the surface paint but on a return surface, such as on the return surface of the charging door. The door needs to be open to see. My biggest gripe is the door closure, they don't need to be slammed but you for sure need to push. I have a service call in Costa Mesa Wednesday.
How are they, Tesla, with fixing door closure and gaps?
On another note. Do I need to do anything with the stick supplied by Tesla.

With mine:
  • the trunk sometimes doesn’t close automatically. Have to push it down manually.
  • Panel gap for the frunk.
  • Noticed the interior have a lot of finger prints or oil residue on the upholstery. I got most of them out but my gf saw more so I decided to include them on my service request.
  • The window sill on the back doors are not flushed (not sure if that’s normal).
  • The front passenger seat is rubbing on to the center console but the driver seat is not.
  • Uneven paint on the rocker panel and the clear coat on the right front door is uneven (can feel the roughness).

Attachments

• 724522C7-298B-4E26-AC60-AB6FBD87D0F1.jpeg
    724522C7-298B-4E26-AC60-AB6FBD87D0F1.jpeg
    354.5 KB · Views: 300
  • 9585555D-7542-4170-AD50-8AA6ED7104C7.jpeg
    9585555D-7542-4170-AD50-8AA6ED7104C7.jpeg
    356 KB · Views: 250
  • F1D5CC2F-960B-4A36-B11E-504278E67EBA.jpeg
    F1D5CC2F-960B-4A36-B11E-504278E67EBA.jpeg
    90.5 KB · Views: 245
  • FCA964FF-0EF6-43F4-8C31-DC7571D474C9.jpeg
    FCA964FF-0EF6-43F4-8C31-DC7571D474C9.jpeg
    150.4 KB · Views: 246
  • B3D8A084-9DBD-4278-A926-DFC1679D2F4A.jpeg
    B3D8A084-9DBD-4278-A926-DFC1679D2F4A.jpeg
    262.9 KB · Views: 237
  • 75864D05-1002-4C7D-BBC3-2140B7C0E04B.jpeg
    75864D05-1002-4C7D-BBC3-2140B7C0E04B.jpeg
    300.3 KB · Views: 249
Picked up the M3 LR white yesterday. Very pleased with how everything went. Very minimal panel gap issues one or two dust nibs, not on the surface paint but on a return surface, such as on the return surface of the charging door. The door needs to be open to see. My biggest gripe is the door closure, they don't need to be slammed but you for sure need to push. I have a service call in Costa Mesa Wednesday.
How are they, Tesla, with fixing door closure and gaps?
On another note. Do I need to do anything with the stick supplied by Tesla.

The stick goes in your USB port, and acts as your dashcam. You can also setup music on one.

Took delivery Saturday (3/27/21) - car is nearly perfect. No issues with exterior fits and finishes. Only a handful of very small issues, some of which have already been noted in prior posts. First, the doors needed to be pretty much slammed initially to shut. This seems to have been a newness issue as the doors are just about like regular doors when it comes to shutting them now. I apply a reasonable amount of force and they shut cleanly. I plan on giving it another few days before crying foul but I don't think a service ticket is required for it at this time.

Another issue I had was an oil-like residue on the inside of the car above the driver's seat. I noticed it after I took delivery and was able to wipe it right off with a rag. Anyone else have this issue or have any ideas what it may be? I have no seen it re-emerge and the fabric around the glass room appears to be clean/dry so there doesn't appear to be a leak there anywhere.

Lastly, the edge of the passenger-side rear seat kind of pops up/off. I was forcing a carseat in and I think I popped a clip or jarred something loose. This is really the only issue I'm mildly concerned of and already made an appointment for late April to address it.

Took delivery Saturday (3/27/21) - car is nearly perfect. No issues with exterior fits and finishes. Only a handful of very small issues, some of which have already been noted in prior posts. First, the doors needed to be pretty much slammed initially to shut. This seems to have been a newness issue as the doors are just about like regular doors when it comes to shutting them now. I apply a reasonable amount of force and they shut cleanly. I plan on giving it another few days before crying foul but I don't think a service ticket is required for it at this time.

Another issue I had was an oil-like residue on the inside of the car above the driver's seat. I noticed it after I took delivery and was able to wipe it right off with a rag. Anyone else have this issue or have any ideas what it may be? I have no seen it re-emerge and the fabric around the glass room appears to be clean/dry so there doesn't appear to be a leak there anywhere.

Lastly, the edge of the passenger-side rear seat kind of pops up/off. I was forcing a carseat in and I think I popped a clip or jarred something loose. This is really the only issue I'm mildly concerned of and already made an appointment for late April to address it.
It's smudges from them doing the headliner more than likely. My wife's Y had a few spots as well. I used Chrmical guys interior cleaner to remove them.

Reactions: TBrownTX
Took delivery Saturday of our 2021 Model 3 LR and noticed some items during the walk around while at Tesla. Rep said that I had 24-hours to document and upload via the app to service and Tesla will take care of it. Of course, yesterday I spent ample amount of time going through every nook and cranny and found these issues:
  1. Trunk no aligned properly (seemed tilted to the left with a bigger space between trunk and bumper on right side; and one side tipped inward more)
  2. Rear window, driver side, is missing about 1.5ft seal / weather strip.
  3. Rear passenger interior door top is sloped (you can see it slope upwards from the outside)
  4. A couple rock chips on front bumper (will they provide touch up paint?)
  5. Missing 2 valve stem covers
  6. Interior corners where the window junctions meet aren't aligned and stick out
  7. Under roof glass (exterior) seals not contiguous
  8. Only received 1 key card
  9. No USB
From other's experiences, will Tesla take care of these? I scheduled appointment at the nearby service center for early next week--do they provide loaner cars? How does that work? Thanks for any feedback.

IMG_1916.jpg
IMG_1917.jpg
IMG_1919.jpg
IMG_1920.jpg
IMG_1921.jpg
IMG_1924.jpg
IMG_1915.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: alanwill
I got my Tesla Model 3 December 2020 and had stone chips and paint peel around 1 month later. Also inside door hinges, spoke to Tesla and said they would fix everything apart from all stone chips. So admitted paint problems, just not chips anyone had this issue getting whole job done?
ACE84632-2C86-40CB-9100-F2F0A801EF9E.jpeg

Attachments

• 7827A851-24F2-447F-8271-F632730E8165.jpeg
    7827A851-24F2-447F-8271-F632730E8165.jpeg
    1,011.4 KB · Views: 88
Yes will do so far looks like would have to get a spectra test on paint and sounds like a hornet to get it fixed. That’s on top of new heat pump and front window leaks and new replacement cameras. Thinking some of this batch was rushed to get to magic 500,000 orders for shareholders

Yes will do so far looks like would have to get a spectra test on paint and sounds like a hornet to get it fixed. That’s on top of new heat pump and front window leaks and new replacement cameras. Thinking some of this batch was rushed to get to magic 500,000 orders for shareholders
Perhaps a batch of bad paint they got…. But it would be across multiple white cars.

Yes not sure had lots of cars and never seen it that bad so early. As I used to paint cars back a long time ago as apprentice. You would prime/coat x2 and clear coat. This is razor thin paint anything hitting with speed is chipping it. Normally Audi/BMW that owned did not suffer this. Just hard to see Tesla doing stone chips as it would open up large can of worms. That said if enough effort to prove is made sure they would reassess after already telling me the under side was soft and will fix.

Took delivery of my M3P a few days ago and thought I'd got away with the quality issues - checked the car over a couple of times and everything looked good - - then I noticed the front passenger door was sitting a bit too far out and the same day noticed some sealant foam under the front windscreen -not sure how I missed that. Apart from those 2 issues and a slightly recessed door handle and little nick on the wood panel which are too small to worry about, everything looks very good and seems to work well :) After taking delivery I checked out my 2 Mazdas carefully and started noticing slight misalignments I'd never never seen before :(

20210412_210932 Tesla door.jpg

20210411_181447.jpg

Reactions: Hacknslic3
Just a note in case it’s helpful to others: I had some fairly major cosmetic issues with my car, which Tesla adequately resolved. I took home delivery of my LR AWD at the end of March. Within 24 hours I reported five problems, listed below. It took almost a month to get the replacement interior parts in, but Tesla fixed all the issues in a two hour service visit this morning:
  • A really gross smudge in the clear coat the front quarter panel. Fixed by buffing.
  • A scratch on the wood dash trim. Trim piece replaced.
  • A deep gouge in one interior door panel card. Door card replaced.
  • Several rock chips. Touched up.
  • One rear seatbelt latch was inaccessible because it was lodged under the seat cushion and couldn’t be extracted by hand. Tesla fished it out.

Took delivery of M3 LR 5 days ago. After coming home noticed about 8-9 mm gap at the driver side rear roof panel/trunk lid (see photo). Took it to a car wash - no leak or any other road noise. I logged with the mobile service tech who came to install HokeLink. Should I take it to a SC (2 hours away) or not worry about it?

Attachments

• PXL_20210418_172600790.jpg
    PXL_20210418_172600790.jpg
    317.4 KB · Views: 208