Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delivery / Service Issues (panel gaps, delivery delays / issues / Service problems etc)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How do you leave it though?

You tell the Tesla delivery person that you're rejecting the car and to assign you a new one. If you don't accept and finish delivery through the app, you don't own the car (Tesla still does).

My (home) delivery driver let me inspect the car inside and out prior to accepting it in the app (back in January). My friend went to pick up his Model Y a month ago at the Marina Del Rey delivery center, but rejected the first one due to some body/paint issues with the car. He was assigned a new one shortly after and picked it up at the same location.

• Love
Reactions: Hiline
You tell the Tesla delivery person that you're rejecting the car and to assign you a new one. If you don't accept and finish delivery through the app, you don't own the car (Tesla still does).

Here's what I'm really unclear about. I've heard you must accept delivery in the app to be able to inspect the car. So are there two stages of delivery acceptance, one before the inspection and one after?

Here's what I'm really unclear about. I've heard you must accept delivery in the app to be able to inspect the car. So are there two stages of delivery acceptance, one before the inspection and one after?

No, you either accept the car in the app or you don't. Once you accept, the car is yours (and any issues you discover after will need to be scheduled through a service visit).

Both my friend and I were able to inspect our cars prior to acceptance in the app, so you should ask to do so on the day of delivery.

No, you either accept the car in the app or you don't. Once you accept, the car is yours (and any issues you discover after will need to be scheduled through a service visit).

Both my friend and I were able to inspect our cars prior to acceptance in the app, so you should ask to do so on the day of delivery.
All right so as I understand it, I should ask to inspect the car before accepting delivery. If the service center forces me to accept delivery before inspecting, I just need to pray that the car doesn't have major issues. Is this correct?

All right so as I understand it, I should ask to inspect the car before accepting delivery. If the service center forces me to accept delivery before inspecting, I just need to pray that the car doesn't have major issues. Is this correct?
They seem to want you to accept before inspecting, maybe because it's a few less steps on their end? When I picked up my car, in Colma CA, they also wanted me to accept it before inspecting but when I told them I wouldn't do that they didn't seem to mind. I went out to look at the car but it was locked. Went back inside and they were able to remotely unlock it so I could inspect inside and out at my leisure. Once satisfied I went back inside to finish up the transaction. The folks at my place had no problem with this, but as I said above, their first request seems to be to accept and finish the deal before the customer even sees the car.

From my experience, just say you want to inspect the car first. It shouldn't be big deal to do so.

Mine was a home delivery, but the delivery person was busy on his phone while I was inspecting the outside of the car. When I asked if I could inspect the inside, he said "Sure, no problem." After inspecting both, he walked me through accepting the car in the app and I handed over my cashier's check.

Well ladies and gents. Today is the day. A guy that swore off EV's right up until the last 12 months is set to pick a Tesla late this afternoon. I have coached myself for weeks not to get fixated on minor issues when taking delivery and I just hope there's no glaring issues. I will post an update later today or tomorrow. Wish me luck.
I was in the same mindset... Now I'm trading in my second car for a Tesla. Unbelievable experience and definitely the future.

Not a total disaster but unfortunate that I have to take a brand new car to an auto body shop because Tesla has no QA/QC. Rear fender has a large gap on the passenger side and passenger front fender misaligned where it meets the rocker panel. Not sure how everyone at Tesla could miss the primer showing on the rocker panel when they walked around it.

BF9C686E-18C0-4116-8134-10393B1FF65C.jpeg

082422C3-18EF-4E43-A7CE-D4B0C22B29F4.jpeg

• Informative
Not a total disaster but unfortunate that I have to take a brand new car to an auto body shop because Tesla has no QA/QC. Rear fender has a large gap on the passenger side and passenger front fender misaligned where it meets the rocker panel. Not sure how everyone at Tesla could miss the primer showing on the rocker panel.

View attachment 813733
View attachment 813734
It's disappointing that over and over Tesla shows that they don't care about their customers time and effort needed to fix the problems they they ship new cars with. Currently they can get away with this indifference, but it's not a good way to build long term brand loyalty.

You walk out onto the lot, find your VIN and inspect (exterior) before tapping Accept or signing anything. If you're lucky, they didn't lock the car and you can check out the interior as well.

You walk out onto the lot, find your VIN and inspect (exterior) before tapping Accept or signing anything. If you're lucky, they didn't lock the car and you can check out the interior as well.
And if it is locked ask them to unlock it so you can inspect before accepting. That's what I had to do and they were easily able to unlock it while sitting at their desk.

Reactions: GuyDude and Hiline