Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MASTER THREAD : FSD Beta Issues Tracking Spreadsheet

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks so much for this thread. I have noticed many of the issues on the spreadsheet.

One other issue that confuses me is that:

FSD 10.2 can see arrow markings painted on the road but does not appear to read them.
One example,
I was approaching a light with 2 left turn lanes and 2"straight ahead" lanes. These all had clearly marked arrows painted on the road. If we label the lanes 1 to 4 from right to left then the straight ahead lanes would be 1 & 2 and the left turn lanes would be 3 & 4. I was on lane 2 heading straight but as I approached the light FDS started making a lane change to lane 3 despite clear arrow markings and these markings appearing on the screen. So FSD 10.2 can see the markings but does not interpret them.
Similar other instances have occurred where I have noticed that the arrow markings are not being correctly read by FSD 10.2.

Reactions: Rick S
So FSD 10.2 can see the markings but does not interpret them.
Similar other instances have occurred where I have noticed that the arrow markings are not being correctly read by FSD 10.2.
What I others have noticed is that FSD makes lane changes normally to overtake a supposed stopped car (or some other blockage). But it does it too late or sometimes just gets a false positive blockage (similar to phantom braking ?).

I haven't had anything it's done wrong, yet, but geez, those 90º turns - so jerky and so many micro adjustments back and forth. I hope there's some option like Ultra-chill for residential streets. Once completing the turn, it doesn't need to snap to the speed limit instantly. I have my offset set to zero (speed limit), but use the scroll wheel to tame it.

Reactions: robdavmil and EVNow
I was having some really bad lane selection with 10.3 in the rain, such as turning into oncoming traffic lanes. But I suppose if this is what the cameras see, I guess it's not that surprising:
rain.jpg

Today I got AP not available because of bad weather message. But FSD kept driving ;)

I did have an issue with fsd trying to go in the middle of the wider lane because of a merge, that hasn't done with FSD.

BTW, didn't have the usual phantom braking I have with the downhill road because FSD had a leading car through out ;)

Anybody else with multi-lane 1-way roads? There aren't that many around here, but we did travel to some problematic streets from initial FSD Beta YouTube videos, and indeed the 10.3.1 neural networks occasionally predict the left lane is left of an imaginary yellow divider line, so it suddenly wants to swerve right to get back to the "correct" side. I guess clearly this has not been as high priority as it's clearly an issue that has been around for over a year now.

Comments

1) Auto high beam is enabled when (FSDbeta is disabled AND auto high beam is disabled)

2) FSDbeta doesn't prioritize/respect driver set speed and continues to coast at near speed limit when set speed is reduced. AP reduced speed to match driver set speed so I think this is a regression.

Speed limit is 50, however, there's a sharp (almost U-turn, 10 mph sign) right at the end of this exit lane. I wasn't going to risk FSDbeta/AP braking in time to make the turn.

FSDbeta_vs_AP_set_speed.jpg

I wasn't using NoA and there was a slight decline, however, AP & standard regen will reduce speed without having to use the brakes.

Believe it or not, other than this (!!) it was a near flawless drive and I was very happy.

I was pretty giddy with excitement today as I had an errand and drove around with FSDbeta for a bit.

Problems I encountered
1) Exiting off freeway in a left turning lane (forced to turn left, 101N to S on Shoreline) and the blinkers automatically signaled right (!!). Luckily I hit a red light and noticed it before the light turned green and tried driving through. I had cars around me and I don't know what would have happened.

FSDbeta handled the left turn without any issue. It's old hat when you watch FSDbeta videos, but this was pretty amazing to experience and I was blown away!

2) When disengaging with the steering wheel, TACC is active and the set speed is automatically increased to the road speed limit. Once again, FSDbeta doesn't prioritize driver's set speed.

This wasn't ideal when I was going up twisty mountain roads at reduced speed (20 mph set speed on a 30 mph road) as TACC would automatically increase the speed to 30 mph. TACC should stay at the driver set speed (20 mph).

Reactions: Terminator857
FSDbeta is kinda flakey with the blue highlighted car.

I don't understand the significance anymore. In the past, I think AP used blue for designating the lead car, but I've seen cars going in the opposite ways being highlighted blue. FSDbeta designated blue this car in the right lane while it was coming up behind me and it tracked it for a while.

1635957470602.png

I don't know if its related, but I had to disengage once because it seemed like FSDbeta was edging right and trying to switch lanes.

I don't understand the significance anymore. In the past, I think AP used blue for designating the lead car, but I've seen cars going in the opposite ways being highlighted blue. FSDbeta designated blue this car in the right lane while it was coming up behind me and it tracked it for a while.
I believe blue cars are now "vehicles of interest" that FSD is tracking.

• Informative
Reactions: mark95476
10.4 tried to run a red light after a fire truck occluded both traffic lights across the intersection. Seems like no persistence or very eager logic assuming missing/empty lights should be treated as a stop sign. Potentially the right pillar could have still seen the red light directly to the right of the stop line:

fire truck occlude reds.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: EVNow
10.4 tried to run a red light after a fire truck occluded both traffic lights across the intersection. Seems like no persistence or very eager logic assuming missing/empty lights should be treated as a stop sign. Potentially the right pillar could have still seen the red light directly to the right of the stop line:

View attachment 731077
Yeah I’ve also noticed it will proceed through traffic lights that are out, without stopping. Not the safest maneuver. Fortunately in my case it was late at night, the side road was quiet (just a three-way intersection so not too dangerous), I was on the far side from the side road, and a couple other drivers on the main road were also missing the fact that the light existed and it should be treated as a three-way stop.

10.4 still doesn't prioritize/respect driver set speed when I reduce. This really needs to get fixed.

I allowed 10.4 to go through this nearly hairpin turn and it made it. This was absolutely nutty! I reduced set speed from 55 to 20, but FSDbeta continued to coast and got to the turn at around 40 mph. It slowed to about 20 in the turn and made it all the way around without complaining or having me intervene.

Comments

1) Auto high beam is enabled when (FSDbeta is disabled AND auto high beam is disabled)

2) FSDbeta doesn't prioritize/respect driver set speed and continues to coast at near speed limit when set speed is reduced. AP reduced speed to match driver set speed so I think this is a regression.

Speed limit is 50, however, there's a sharp (almost U-turn, 10 mph sign) right at the end of this exit lane. I wasn't going to risk FSDbeta/AP braking in time to make the turn.

View attachment 727743

I wasn't using NoA and there was a slight decline, however, AP & standard regen will reduce speed without having to use the brakes.

Believe it or not, other than this (!!) it was a near flawless drive and I was very happy.

• Informative
Reactions: eli_ and EVNow
I'll try checking into that. There's a 10mph speed limit sign before that sharp turn.

I'm still playing with the speed adjustment settings trying to get FSDbeta to do what I want. I consider this a safety issue as FSDbeta shouldn't override the driver unless it's safety related. When I increase the set speed then the car follows, but when I reduce the set speed the car seemingly resists.

I think my other issue when disengaging FSDbeta and TACC automatically overriding (increasing) the driver set speed is still there.

I've seen that too.

I wonder if its because - the speed is recalculated based on a new segment of the road (and the offset configured). You can check the map in TomTom to see if there was a break in the road at that point.

I'm thinking Tesla should jettison the FSDbeta to TACC transition when the driver disengages with a steering input and just go to full disengage.

Lets say you're coming up to a 90 deg right at a light. FSDbeta does the lawfully correct thing and doesn't go into the parking lane, but that's what everyone does at this right so you signal right and manually disengage with a steering input. FSDbeta switches to TACC and immediately sets the speed to the speed limit before entering the turn (!!). So slowing (~20 mph) then immediate speed increase (45 mph) just before a 90 deg right turn.

The speed limit should apply when going straight, not making sharp turns.

10.4 still doesn't prioritize/respect driver set speed when I reduce. This really needs to get fixed.

I allowed 10.4 to go through this nearly hairpin turn and it made it. This was absolutely nutty! I reduced set speed from 55 to 20, but FSDbeta continued to coast and got to the turn at around 40 mph. It slowed to about 20 in the turn and made it all the way around without complaining or having me intervene.
Yeah it's very lazy about it, I feel like they tried to smooth out the speed control and just overdid it, needs to prioritize user speed requests.

The other day the car hallucinated a 50mph speed sign on a 25mph road (never happened here before), and before I realized what happened its going over 40mph. I frantically lowered the speed setting but I ultimately just disengaged it instead.

I feel like FSD will be the real deal once you can set a 80mph speed limit, and it still drives at the appropriate speed for conditions like a human would, or just have no set speed at all. Otherwise it just feels like cruise control with turns.

I check OSM:

Central Expressway has a maxspeed = 50 mph attribute, but this exit/turn lane doesn't have a maxspeed attribute.

1636763623340.png

I should log into OSM to update it and add a stop sign.

I've heard various things about Tesla's use of OSM data so it might not fix my issue with FSDbeta and this particular road. I've recently enabled NoA and will check if it slows down appropriately.

I've seen that too.

I wonder if its because - the speed is recalculated based on a new segment of the road (and the offset configured). You can check the map in TomTom to see if there was a break in the road at that point.

I should log into OSM to update it and add a stop sign.

I've heard various things about Tesla's use of OSM data so it might not fix my issue with FSDbeta and this particular road. I've recently enabled NoA and will check if it slows down appropriately.
It seems to be TomTom maps ...