Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MASTER THREAD: FSD Subscription Available 16 Jul 2021

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have the feeling that if I never reply to Knightshade again I will never get another thumbs down from rxlawdude.

Things that make you go Hmmmm...

Keith
I guess it should concern you if fake internet points mean something. If not...

In all seriousness though, debates like this will always happen on internet forums. It's up to you if you find said interaction worthwhile or not. Cheers.

Reactions: Fourdoor
I guess it should concern you if fake internet points mean something. If not...

In all seriousness though, debates like this will always happen on internet forums. It's up to you if you find said interaction worthwhile or not. Cheers.
Internet points are the only thing that matters on the internet. Saying they don’t matter to you is just a passive aggressive attempt to get internet points.

Uh.... what?

EAP went away in the US market almost 2.5 years ago.

Your analogy is nonsensical.

Your reply is nonsensical. It "went away" because Tesla decided to require people to buy both instead of continuing to give customers the choice of buying EAP alone. Just as you currently can't get Super Cruise without buying the Premier trim level, you can't get EAP without buying FSD. Both potentially require customers to pay thousands more for a feature or features they may not want.

As I said, it's how trim levels, options/features, etc. are often marketed in the industry.

Now you get basic AP (which GM charges thousands for and isn't even AVAILABLE on basic trim models) for free on every trim of every tesla

That's much better than GMs offering.
Wait, didn't Tesla simultaneously raise the base price when they began offering "free" basic AP? As I recall, they just rolled the cost of the (previous) upgrade into the cost of the car.

Reactions: raptor5244
Most companies don't, and none should, market/sell existing products with promises of "future" (unspecified time frame) functionality or features for those products unless those functions/features are fairly certain to become available at least within an average ownership period.

If a company is stating that the product purchased will have the capability of doing XYZ in the future, it should be able to do so within a reasonable time frame (e.g., average ownership period) at no additional cost to the buyer (unless clearly specified otherwise).

If a company is unable/unwilling to fulfill those "future" promises in an acceptable time frame, some kind of refund should be provided. A "money back guarantee" of sorts.

I have the feeling that if I never reply to Knightshade again I will never get another thumbs down from rxlawdude.

Things that make you go Hmmmm...

Keith
Just leave it alone.

Your reply is nonsensical. It "went away" because Tesla decided to require people to buy both instead of continuing to give customers the choice of buying EAP alone. Just as you currently can't get Super Cruise without buying the Premier trim level, you can't get EAP without buying FSD. Both potentially require customers to pay thousands more for a feature or features they may not want.

As I said, it's how trim levels, options/features, etc. are often marketed in the industry.
And when they did Way with they gave everyone autopilot for fre...

Wait, didn't Tesla simultaneously raise the base price when they began offering "free" basic AP? As I recall, they just rolled the cost of the (previous) upgrade into the cost of the car.
Yep, I bought in April 2019 after they started including basic AP but the car increased in price around $2k at that time, which was ok to me since the only other option was EAP for $5k.

Never thought of it this way before, but unless Tesla sells EAP standalone again you are right. That's a $6k markup if you simply want EAP, which is all I really feel I need right now.
Same here. The only EAP/FSD feature I would be interested in once in a while when driving on the highway is the auto lane change feature (NoA) but who the heck would drop an additional $10k just for that. AutoPark, too slow and annoying, only worth it if it parks better than I can. Summon, cool trick but not very practical and much slower than just walking a 100ft to the car. Now if the upcoming City Streets stuff actually worked well enough to not annoy the crap out of you and your passengers then maybe but you know you will be babysitting it like crazy, which is a killjoy and you wind up just taking control and driving yourself.

To be candid, I would much rather have Rear Cross Traffic Alert and improved Blind Spot Monitoring detection, which are both huge misses in a car with 9 cameras, radar, etc.

To be candid, I would much rather have Rear Cross Traffic Alert and improved Blind Spot Monitoring detection, which are both huge misses in a car with 9 cameras, radar, etc.
I don't really find those lacking except for audible alarms. The rear cameras provide a wide angle view that is sufficient enough for me to provide enough response time if someone is coming from either direction while backing up.

For BSM I'll pull up the camera view when needed in heavy 3+ lane traffic, that coupled with mirrors adjusted does just fine for me.

I don't really find those lacking except for audible alarms. The rear cameras provide a wide angle view that is sufficient enough for me to provide enough response time if someone is coming from either direction while backing up.

For BSM I'll pull up the camera view when needed in heavy 3+ lane traffic, that coupled with mirrors adjusted does just fine for me.

I park in my garage with narrow clearance on the sides, so I have the mirrors folded and look at the side rear view cameras when backing up. The other day I forgot that I had put the trash can in the drive way behind the Tesla's garage door while mowing the lawn. When I backed out (not paying attention to center rear view, just the side rear views) my only warning sound was the trash can falling over after I bumped into it.

What I think actually happened was continuous warning sounds from the side front ultrasonic sensors made me miss the warning sound from the rear ultrasonic sensors. In other cars I have owned I had the option of turning off front ultrasonic sensors when the car was in reverse. I have not found a way to do this in the Tesla, so I assume it is not possible.

Luckily it didn't even scuff the paint since I was creeping out of the garage at turtle speed.

Keith

I park in my garage with narrow clearance on the sides, so I have the mirrors folded and look at the side rear view cameras when backing up. The other day I forgot that I had put the trash can in the drive way behind the Tesla's garage door while mowing the lawn. When I backed out (not paying attention to center rear view, just the side rear views) my only warning sound was the trash can falling over after I bumped into it.

What I think actually happened was continuous warning sounds from the side front ultrasonic sensors made me miss the warning sound from the rear ultrasonic sensors. In other cars I have owned I had the option of turning off front ultrasonic sensors when the car was in reverse. I have not found a way to do this in the Tesla, so I assume it is not possible.

Luckily it didn't even scuff the paint since I was creeping out of the garage at turtle speed.

Keith

Now see, if you had FSD you could used basic summon to do that while standing outside the garage with perfect visibility :)

Your reply is nonsensical. It "went away" because Tesla decided to require people to buy both instead of continuing to give customers the choice of buying EAP alone.

Again your facts are simply wrong.

Folks kept complaining they didn't WANT "all that stuff" in EAP-- they just wanted BASIC autopilot for a cheaper price.

There were TONS of posts and threads on that back then here and on the tesla official forums.

So Tesla gave people what they asked for.

Initially making basic AP a much cheaper option, and putting "all that stuff" into FSD.

Then making AP standard with a 2k base price increase.

And now we have folks complaining in the OTHER direction.

Can't make everyone happy I guess.

But continually bringing up an option that has not been an option for several years is a pretty useless thing to do at this point.

For new car buyers today EAP does not exist

Supercruise DOES.

But you have to spend $7000+ to get the crappy OLD version that does nothing more than the free autopilot on a Tesla.

And you have to spend $15,000-$25,000 to get the "new" version that does only a fraction of what Teslas FSD does for $10,000.

Both alternatives suck compared to Teslas features and pricing.

That's apart from the actual car sucking in comparison too

Yeah, the backup cam is pretty good in most situations except when you find yourself backing out of a tight spot. I think if we had an audible alert for BSM it would suffice. I really think they could improve BSM with software alone. They have the side cameras already. They could do what Honda does and show the side camera when you put your turn signal on.

Again your facts are simply wrong.

Folks kept complaining they didn't WANT "all that stuff" in EAP-- they just wanted BASIC autopilot for a cheaper price.

There were TONS of posts and threads on that back then here and on the tesla official forums.

So Tesla gave people what they asked for.

Again, your facts are simply wrong. What people actually wanted was the ability to have AP or AP/EAP or EAP/FSD. Instead, Tesla only gives customers in the U.S. the choice of AP or EAP/FSD. They require people to buy FSD to get EAP and therefore potentially have to pay thousands more for something they may not want.