Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MASTER THREAD: FSD Subscription Available 16 Jul 2021

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
200 a month too much for me....id rather fork out 4k for EAP tho
Me too, but that option's not available is it? But if you could get EAP, and if that portion of FSE would continue to upgrade to full autonomous like the rest of the package, that would be fine for me. It would be like my old Air Force flying days--hand fly the departure, get to altitude, click on the autopilot, and kick back for 8 hours while the autopilot flies the airplane. When we got there, click it off and hand fly the descent, approach and landing. I don't mind hand driving 15 minutes out to the interstate, clicking it on, and reading a book or taking a nap for the next three/four hours or so until it's time to refuel. It would be perfect, I don't care about autonomous driving 8 minutes over to the shopping center.

Whenever they get true autonomous driving the first thing they need to do is make the front seats of the Y full swivel.

The area rep, service center manager, or a paralegal? These people all deal with customer issues constantly, and are in fact the ones denying customers that would ask for a "free" upgrade, so if they are capable of that level of decision making at Tesla, they are capable of representing them in small claims court as well.

Maybe Elon? ;)
The thing is, I do sympathize with you even though I disagree with your POV. But in addition to just disagreeing in a 'philosophical' way, from a practicality POV Tesla could never do what you're asking them to do. If they did, you know full well every single person with less than 3.0 would subscribe for one month just to get the $1,500 upgrade. Now, if instead of this month to month subscription they offered it with, say, a three year commitment, then I can see it might make both financial and customer relations sense for them to toss in the upgrade. And maybe if enough folks like you push back they'll make something like that available.

And it would benefit everybody because then you'd have more cars out there sensing conditions and traffic and beaming it back to the supercomputer and then back down as driving solutions for individual cars. We may not be as far away from autonomous as it seems right now when each car is on an individual island and can only rely on what it can personally 'see'. But once every tenth car (or whatever) is providing data for a comprehensive real time dynamic driving condition 'map' then each car may have the information to do more confidently and correctly what it's hesitant to do now. In essence, so the car can 'see' around corners and over hills and across divided highways using inputs from other cars, either via the super computer or directly vehicle to vehicle.

So the quicker we get more vehicles out there equipped to update the data set the better is is for everybody. But equally, we don't want Tesla bearing the financial burden and service center burden of updating thousands and thousands of cars for folks who have no intention of using the subscription more than once a year for a road trip or something.

So while I disagree with your basic POV on this, I do see merit in Tesla finding a middle ground to compromise on with something like a three-year subscription. Or an enhanced autopilot option for $5,000 that would include necessary hardware upgrades.

Pricing is about where I expected it to be. It's still cheaper to roll the $10k into a lease or typical financing but in the those cases, you are committed to the full contract term whereas with the subscription it sounds like you can essentially subscribe and unsubscribe at will.

It will be interesting to see how long the average FSD subscriber sticks with it before discontinuing. $99-$199 to try out the feature will be very tempting for a lot of people but how many will continue month after month??

I’m in the same camp as a lot of folks. I’ll have my MY for maybe 6-7 years and would love to be able to turn FSD on and off for the one or two long road trips we do every year. An additional $200 on a two week trip, in my situation, is still less than the cost difference in gas if we were to use our Subaru.

We are going on a long trip in august and plan on subscribing. If I don’t like it, I’m out $200 and not 10k. I’d rather spend $2k on the acceleration boost 🙃

Pricing is about where I expected it to be. It's still cheaper to roll the $10k into a lease or typical financing but in the those cases, you are committed to the full contract term whereas with the subscription it sounds like you can essentially subscribe and unsubscribe at will.

It will be interesting to see how long the average FSD subscriber sticks with it before discontinuing. $99-$199 to try out the feature will be very tempting for a lot of people but how many will continue month after month??
I'll subscribe for trips, don't need FSD as a daily option. With that said, I would pay $4k for EAP as I feel it would be a better deal for me.

I'm really surprised they launched this before launching autosteer on city streets (i.e. the feature that is the actual "self driving" part of "full self driving"). I'm not exactly sure I see the value of this, except as a way to demo the functionality of FSD, once the functionality of FSD is worth demoing. Then deciding if it's worth it or not..

Keep in mind for post March 2019 cars, FSD actually adds a bunch of useful features the basic AP cars sold since then don't have- right now, no waiting.

The $99 if-you-already-have-EAP subscription is the weird one right now, as that adds literally nothing besides stopping for red lights/stop signs, AND these folks are the most likely to also need the $1500 HW upgrade.

Can someone confirm whether the FSD subscription will have tax on top of it. Is it $199 straight out or $199 + tax?

I think that depends from state to state

Reactions: JenniferQ
Anyone missing the subscription option? I got the message in my Tesla inbox. However when I go to the subscribe section it’s not there. Just enhanced connectivity. June 2021 MY LR.
I made sure my Tesla app was updated and open and closed the app

The $99 if-you-already-have-EAP subscription is the weird one right now, as that adds literally nothing besides stopping for red lights/stop signs, AND these folks are the most likely to also need the $1500 HW upgrade.
Well our MX had the MCU 2 upgrade so at that time, they upgraded to HW3 for free so we don't have to pay the extra $1500. But for $99 to get traffic lights and stop signs...heh. When FSD city driving is fully available and I read good reviews on here (I am thinking 2 years from now minimum), I may pay $99 just to try it out for a month.