Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MASTER THREAD: FSD Subscription Available 16 Jul 2021

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For you the price is $199 a month plus $1500 for the HW3 hardware, you must have an old car with HW 2.5, FSD needs HW3. It's absolutely not worth it at this point. I have FSD, it does nothing that's worth anything. Smart summon is nothing more than a party trick. Auto park is terrible. Navigate on Autopilot is mostly just lane keep, you have to keep your hands on the wheel and apply occasional pressure to keep it engaged but if you do a little correction, which you'll need to do because it does something scary every now and then, it disengages. It also takes off ramps at full speed which is terrifying. Wait until there is a working version of FSD before trying it.

I'm unclear why this would matter?

Since FSD includes all lower-tier features... and the total net cost has been fairly similar forever...

It matters in that it's unclear how the KBB system is meant to work and could lead to questionable (or even more questionable since some already think KBB is often wrong anyway) results. When various Tesla models were new, for example, EAP and FSD were listed as separate options with separate prices on window stickers and purchase agreements. Does that therefore mean both should be selected on KBB or should only FSD be selected and assume it already includes EAP?

If it's the latter (assume EAP is included when FSD is selected) then I think KBB should automatically select, grey out or whatever EAP when FSD is selected. Otherwise, it leaves the door open for inconsistent and potentially flawed results since some will select only FSD while others will select both.

For you the price is $199 a month plus $1500 for the HW3 hardware, you must have an old car with HW 2.5, FSD needs HW3. It's absolutely not worth it at this point. I have FSD, it does nothing that's worth anything. Smart summon is nothing more than a party trick. Auto park is terrible. Navigate on Autopilot is mostly just lane keep, you have to keep your hands on the wheel and apply occasional pressure to keep it engaged but if you do a little correction, which you'll need to do because it does something scary every now and then, it disengages. It also takes off ramps at full speed which is terrifying. Wait until there is a working version of FSD before trying it.
Sounds like a great deal ! :)

HW 4.0 might come 2022. 3.0 is not enough.

The stuff we've seen from Green on them having to move a lot of code over the Node B due to running out of compute on node A pretty much confirmed HW3 isn't enough.

But we've known HW4 was being developed since Autonomy day back in early 2019 anyway so not a huge surprise.

(the fact the subscription stuff suggests BUYERS of FSD will get free HW upgrades but subscribers might not is another reason I don't think the subscription is a terrific long-term deal-- but a nice option for folks who take the occasional road trip for now)

I second this. As someone that has purchased FSD I would never recommend anyone pay anything for the current feature-set. I personally hope nobody signs up for the subscription so that Tesla is pressured to get some true FSD features pushed out to the masses.

The stuff we've seen from Green on them having to move a lot of code over the Node B due to running out of compute on node A pretty much confirmed HW3 isn't enough.

But we've known HW4 was being developed since Autonomy day back in early 2019 anyway so not a huge surprise.

(the fact the subscription stuff suggests BUYERS of FSD will get free HW upgrades but subscribers might not is another reason I don't think the subscription is a terrific long-term deal-- but a nice option for folks who take the occasional road trip for now)
I won't be pleased if I have to fork over $1,500 or so for H4 if I just south a machine with H3 (which I did).

Oh well, that's the way it goes!

Navigate on autopilot is fairly useful...
Stop lights and signs while on adaptive cruise control is nice as well. So is lane changing--it's decisions or yours. Summon (not Smart Summon) is fairly useful.

There are a lot of holes needing to be patched. I mean that close to literally---car is great from on ramps to off-ramp and then there is a hole where the transition to side street (for lack of a better term) is supposed to take place.

Pulling up to a four way light on Autosteer and ACC is nice, but then you need to disengage to make the left--another hole.

Etc., etc.

Who can give me advise. I just bought 5 days ago new Model 3 LR 2021 with full FSD and FSD computer. I am trying to engage FSD and yellow wheel on the screen show -" not available". How this is engaged with a certain speed or start from parking?🤔

Who can give me advise. I just bought 5 days ago new Model 3 LR 2021 with full FSD and FSD computer. I am trying to engage FSD and yellow wheel on the screen show -" not available". How this is engaged with a certain speed or start from parking?🤔
It should show a gray steering icon when on roads that Autosteer is supported. Then you can activate it. Usually it shows in straighter roads with well defined lane lines. You do not have to start from parking.

See page 86 in the manual. I would suggest reading the part about cruise control too on page 81, so you know what the speed icons mean and what speeds it will target when you activate it:
https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/model_3_owners_manual_north_america_en.pdf

Yours sound like the error message that shows when you are trying to activate it in an unsupported road. There is also a bug that some have experienced where after an update, if you check the features under the autopilot (like Navigate on Autopilot or Traffic Light and Stop Sign Control) it would show "not supported in current region". That goes away after driving the car for a couple miles (I suspect it's a location/GPS sync issue).

Seems really reasonable compared to $10k upfront.
does the 199$ go towards the 10k$ if i was to outright purchase it? for people that are planning to keep their car for the long haul how is the subscription worth it if u can just save 200$ a month for about 4years and purchase to keep forever?
I will be happy if Tesla pays me back my 10k for FSD so I can pay a monthly subscription.

Resale of an FSD car is not 10k or even 7k more so I think this really poo poos on anyone who bought FSD at 7-10k.

Keep in mind this isn't like Colonial Penn life insurance 😱 where your rate can never go up.
better to spend $10K then? and how many years would one have been waiting if it'd been ordered back in 2016 when the illusory-to-date FSD was 1st offered? a half decade? In the mean time, many have sold/traded in their 5yr old car, maybe to another dealership, who sends it to auction, only to have Tesla deactivate it because it didn't convey to subsequent owners? No wonder our Tesla stock is doing so nicely
;)

Reactions: sunfarm
It should show a gray steering icon when on roads that Autosteer is supported. Then you can activate it. Usually it shows in straighter roads with well defined lane lines. You do not have to start from parking.

See page 86 in the manual. I would suggest reading the part about cruise control too on page 81, so you know what the speed icons mean and what speeds it will target when you activate it:
https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/model_3_owners_manual_north_america_en.pdf

Yours sound like the error message that shows when you are trying to activate it in an unsupported road. There is also a bug that some have experienced where after an update, if you check the features under the autopilot (like Navigate on Autopilot or Traffic Light and Stop Sign Control) it would show "not supported in current region". That goes away after driving the car for a couple miles (I suspect it's a location/GPS sync issue).
Thank you. Will try again.

Funny thought - many of the early MCU's were/are prone to burn out. Arm twisting brought tesla back to that reality - so they are now having to replace hardware anyway. Has Tesla found a way to wring $1,500 out of folks that may very well have needed to get hardware replaced in the not too distant future anyway?

• Disagree
Reactions: SageBrush
Funny thought - many of the early MCU's were/are prone to burn out. Arm twisting brought tesla back to that reality - so they are now having to replace hardware anyway. Has Tesla found a way to wring $1,500 out of folks that may very well have needed to get hardware replaced in the not too distant future anyway?

They only replace eMMC. That is essentially a 32GB memory card. They do not give a free upgrade to MCU2 (which is Intel Atom E8000 CPU + surrounding logic). Probably both pieces of HW are way cheaper than the work they need to be doing for the replacement (incl. offering replacement car).

does the 199$ go towards the 10k$ if i was to outright purchase it?

LOL... no... it's a subscription, not rent-to-own.

for people that are planning to keep their car for the long haul how is the subscription worth it if u can just save 200$ a month for about 4years and purchase to keep forever?

It's not worth it for those people.

It's worth it for people who might only want it for a road trip once or twice a year.... or for people who want to try it out for a month to decide if it's worth $10,000... or for people who get a new car every 2-3 years.

Reactions: El joe