Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MASTER THREAD: FSD Subscription Available 16 Jul 2021

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a Tesla Model 3 2018 Mid Range with NO Autopilot. The app says I have to get Autopilot to be eligible for the FSD subscription and for me it will be $3000

C9C7FAED-B96E-4F5C-B9DA-741CE15AE4B8.png

E22C27C4-8C50-4FDD-ADC7-BB31DE7D61D4.png

I just couldn’t afford the extra cost at the time when I purchased the car. Now in a better position financially I’m thinking about getting the subscription and pay the $3000 but since I want to get cybertruck that money can go towards that. Not sure what to do?

Do you think Tesla is gonna say thank you for the $3000 and say now give us $1500 for the upgrade when I try to activate FSD subscription? Customer service sucks and it’s hard to speak with someone from Tesla and I have feeling they’re not being upfront and gonna ask for more money after the $3000 but I could be wrong.

Tesla doesn't currently have rear cross traffic alert.

At one point Elon tweeted that he'll consider adding it, but I haven't heard anything about it since that tweet.

I wouldn't pay much attention to thumbs down without a response on something that is totally black and white. It either has cross traffic alerts or it doesn't.

Yup, my reply to myself in regards to his thumbs down was making fun of him. It would be like I said "The earth is a sphere" and he gave it a thumbs down. Can't cure flat earth-itis, and you can't really explain a thumbs down like that any other way. I can argue with someone like knightshade without getting bent out of shape, and actually enjoy the interaction... but a strait up thumbs down without any counterpoint is pretty useless.

Keith

I have a Tesla Model 3 2018 Mid Range with NO Autopilot. The app says I have to get Autopilot to be eligible for the FSD subscription and for me it will be $3000

View attachment 686144
View attachment 686145

I just couldn’t afford the extra cost at the time when I purchased the car. Now in a better position financially I’m thinking about getting the subscription and pay the $3000 but since I want to get cybertruck that money can go towards that. Not sure what to do?

Do you think Tesla is gonna say thank you for the $3000 and say now give us $1500 for the upgrade when I try to activate FSD subscription? Customer service sucks and it’s hard to speak with someone from Tesla and I have feeling they’re not being upfront and gonna ask for more money after the $3000 but I could be wrong.

If your mid range doesn't have HW3 then yes, it will actually cost you $4,500 to even be eligible to use the subscription FSD. If you don't plan on keeping the Mid range 3 when you get the cybertruck then I wouldn't spend the money on upgrading the M3.

Keith

I guess I got lucky with all this. I paid $3k LESS for my M3 than it is now, it has HW3.0 and AP. If I wanted FSD all I have to do is pay the $199. That's a big if though. I have no desire to try this out in NYC. It just wouldn't be worth it because I'd be scared to use it until I was well west, like past Chicago west.

For me I’m debating to pay $10k and refund for my road trip from Philly to Greenville, SC in August one-way for free. Or pay $199 so I can have FSD for an entire month and use it for the full round-trip.

$100 each way is about what I’m saving in gas. So now the Tesla isn’t really saving money, but it is still making my road experience a bit more comfortable.
You bought an expensive luxury vehicle to save on gas money?

Im really having to rethink my FSD $10,000 option on my MY order. Originally my thoughts were:
A I'd never pay for a subscription - I don't like monthly payments.
B. looking at the many you tube videos that show FSD beta testers driving around town in the rain, at night, making unprotected left turns etc. with next to no interventions is compelling and that the button for FSD payees to turn it on was just around the corner.
C. considering B. above it would be good for resell.
D. the closer FSD comes to reality the price for either the subscription or the up front $10,000 would really sky rocket.

Now that y'all are telling me that previous up front FSD payers have to pay to get a new CPU installed in oder to have FSD .
And that even existing and new orders may wind up having to get yet another CPU upgrade before FSD can be fully operational.
Sellers will not recoup that much of their $10,000.

So for $10,000 what do I get right now? auto Lane change, off ramp and traffic light and stop sign recognition. Does it stop for traffic lights?
Maybe I'll know more before I have to take delivery.
If you buy if you probably get the hardware updates for free, but, no guarantees. I paid for fsd twice.

Is it worth the money, no. But it’s fun to have everything the car has to offer and personally I enjoy the feeling of being on the front line of autonomous driving, even if that isn’t necessarily the case. If you are looking at fsd as a value proposition, I wouldn’t.

There's been a lot of debate on whether FSD adds to resale value, but what are thoughts on whether HW3 adds to resale value?

If it's a private sale, I could see the buyer valuing a Tesla slightly higher for having HW3. At the least, it means the buyer can subscribe to FSD with no additional cost... But I can't see HW3 factoring in to any sort of trade-in sale.

Reactions: Fourdoor
I never said the resale value isn't real, I said that it is the result of Tesla artificially pumping up resale value by adding FSD to all of it's used inventory cars. You can try and twist that sentence all you like but it is in pretty simple terms, understandable to most people.

Also you-

And when you go to buy or sell a Tesla on the open market this shows as well. Sell a car without FSD and a nearly identical car with FSD and they will have nearly the same price on the open market... and it will be near the price of a nearly identical car with FSD from Tesla used car inventory....

So.... somehow they're "artificially pumping up resale" by adding a feature you just admitted doesn't make the price any different from a car WITHOUT that feature?

You might want to....rethink your argument.

Your "break even analysis" has a fundamental flaw. It assumes $10k was a reasonable price for what you got

No, it doesn't.

That's not how "break even analysis" works.

You compare the different methods to pay for something, over the periods of time you might have the something, and run the math.

What the "something" is doesn't change the math.

- it is/was is NOT. Tesla costs on the software is the same whether they make it for 1 car or 1 millions cars.

This, too, is fundamentally untrue since you have to amortize development costs.

If they are making it for a million cars, it should be LESS expensive, NOT more.

This is only accurate if it's a static product no further work is going into.

Since that's not the case it's a lot more complex than that. Right now they've having to insure each update works across multiple models- each of which has multiple configs including entirely different driving computer (and media computer for some cars) architectures- with a slew of different features that all need to work correctly with each update.

The MORE configs you add the more development and testing cost too- which balances against the amortizing by those who take the software.

Unlike the simple break even this is much more complex math.

I paid $6k for FSD at the end of 2019. I would not pay $10k today for it - or $199 per month. Apple used to charge for software updates - now they are free. If or when Tesla actually makes a car with FSD - level 5 - they might be able to talk about a subscription. For now it is not worth the price of admission.

Obviously it WAS worth 6k to you. Others would've told YOU it wasn't worth the price of admission THEN.

Today it's worth 10k to SOME people-- and obviously not to others.

The subscription just provides ANOTHER option to folks.

If you don't like it- don't buy it.

But more choices is good.

Oh joy. Now there will be threads with posts from potential Tesla buyers delaying their purchase until HW4 is released.

They're sold out on cars months in advance at this point- and most buyers have no idea WTF HW3 or HW4 is, so I doubt it'd make a material difference.

But seriously, with the present chip shortage, is it really likely that Tesla will start producing cars with HW4 in 2021 Q4?

Yes?

There's a number of causes of the shortage-- one of the big ones in the car industry though was legacy auto cancelling a lot of orders during the pandemic thus giving up space in the queue at chip fabs....which then went to someone else, so when the car makers came back they had to go to the back of the line.

AFAIK Tesla never cancelled orders. And they certainly wouldn't cancelled fab queue space for a NEW chip they themselves had developed. Plus, relatively to say the amount of fab space AMD needs or something Teslas needs are relatively modest.

Other slowdowns in the chain might bump it back another quarter or something but I wouldn't expect any major delays.

Same situation for me. $4,500 to get the option for setting up subscription. If not mistaken, only cars made for 3-4 months are in this situation (late 2018 early 2019)?

Longer than that.

For the 3, it's all cars made in 2017 (this is only like 2000 cars) plus all cars in 2018, plus all cars for the first few months of 2019.

For S/X it's all cars made since ~November 2016 (older cars are AP1 or no AP and have no upgrade path period) through the first few months of 2019.

(minus any of the above who paid for FSD as a purchase and got a free HW3 upgrade)

THAT said... the S/X cars that have MCU1 (which is most of those) have a better upgrade path-- $2000 gets them a next-gen MCU that happens to also come with HW3.

And as a % of the total fleet cars that only have the $1500 HW3 option are likely a single-digit percent of said fleet

Or... Tesla pulls the rug out, and only new model year cars are compatible with HW4+... making everyone rush to buy the new iTesla every 6 months... which could potentially devalue existing used Teslas drastically, unless the new ones were so overpriced the entire car itself was a $3~500/month subscription and no one could afford to own it...

They can't.

Well, I mean they CAN- but they'd owe full FSD refunds to a pretty significant number of folks.

Also, AP1 cars, which have MUCH MUCH less capable HW than the AP2 cars did, didn't crater in value for resale when AP2 came out, so I wouldn't worry much there either.

Teslas have historically had -way- better resale than anything comparable.

Reactions: whozhighpitch

View attachment 686144
View attachment 686145

If you are going to get a cybertruck I would hold off and save the $3k. You aren't really missing out on much now anyway and the new cybertruck would have all the hardware already. Full Self driving hardware (or software for that) doesn't help resale value either so would be lost money.

So if I have a July 2018 model 3 build with EAP and the 2.5 computer, I need to pay $1500 to update the computer and then pay for a subscription that only has the advantage of being able to recognize traffic lights.

I already have Summon, Navigate on Autopilot, etc so it's not worth it to pay for the upgrade and the subscription on a car that is over 3 years old and has already depreciated. If I keep the car for 10 years, I would rather save the $1500 and monthly fee and spend the money towards the purchase of a new car that will probably have FSD as a standard feature in the future.

I remember people paying $2000 for GPS screens or ABS brakes when they first came out. Now you getter better GPS directions for free using a cellphone.

Reactions: fiatlux and Dan D.
Yup, my reply to myself in regards to his thumbs down was making fun of him. It would be like I said "The earth is a sphere" and he gave it a thumbs down. Can't cure flat earth-itis, and you can't really explain a thumbs down like that any other way. I can argue with someone like knightshade without getting bent out of shape, and actually enjoy the interaction... but a strait up thumbs down without any counterpoint is pretty useless.

Keith
Are you that thin skinned that a thumbs down triggers you? So sorry, Snowflake.

Keith
I think sometimes when people use thumbs down on a factual post it's more about how they feel about it than any sort of factual objection. They would prefer that it not be true. I've always thought this forum should have a sad response for people to express that.

Everything after ~mid-2019 came that way from the factory.
Not everything, I have a Model 3 with a September 2019 build date and have HW2.5, when I complained to Tesla they said that there was no guarantee all cars would get HW3 after the announcement that all cars after April 2019 would come with HW3. I was concerned that I was getting screwed only to now have the concerned verified to the tube of $1500. Disappointed!

Reactions: fiatlux
I think sometimes when people use thumbs down on a factual post it's more about how they feel about it than any sort of factual objection. They would prefer that it not be true. I've always thought this forum should have a sad response for people to express that.
There was obvious snark at the end of that post too, which may have been the target of the thumbs down. It wasn't all neutral facts. Even though the button is shown as "disagree", it's used a lot simply as "dislike". I wouldn't mind it. The profile doesn't show anymore what reactions I gave (at least I can't find it anymore), but I believe I only gave the thumbs down once or twice personally, given I know a lot of people take it as a "dislike".

Last edited:
Why would I spend all that money for something which doesn't work?
--JS

What would you repeat the same fact-free question many others already have been corrected in this thread multiple times?

The features currently sold in the FSD package all work.

With varying degrees of utility depending on the person using them. (I have almost never a use for basic summon for example- to a guy who has a very narrow garage it's a lifesaver)

The features just don't do what some folks who prefer their imagination to the actual listed features think they do.

I second this. As someone that has purchased FSD I would never recommend anyone pay anything for the current feature-set. I personally hope nobody signs up for the subscription so that Tesla is pressured to get some true FSD features pushed out to the masses.
I purchased the trial subscription for a road trip this weekend, similar perspective. I do like the traffic light bong and being able to change lanes without the AP process of disabling and re-enabling AP was refreshing. I found the traffic light control function very unfriendly to use in practical situations, might be better with practice, but just found it hard to get right and yielded some unsettling 'responses' (quite possibly bad timing etc on my part).

Overall no way worth the money for me at this pointI sort of begrudge the $200 but also am thankful it's prevented me from spending $10k.