Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MASTER THREAD: FSD Subscription Available 16 Jul 2021

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can anyone explain why HW3 upgrade costs $1500 when the car was advertised as "All Tesla vehicles produced in our factory, including Model 3, have the hardware needed for full self-driving capability at a safety level substantially greater than that of a human driver."?

It very much appears that was not true, and now people have to pay $1500 for Tesla's misleading statement. The car is still under warranty! Looks like I'll be heading to small claims court....
Not call M3 came with HW3, so if you had an older MS like I did, Tesla had to upgrade the computer. In my case it was free because I already had FSD. I have a 2018 M3

Reactions: rxlawdude
You bought an expensive luxury vehicle to save on gas money?
Not entirely. I bought it for the entire package of reasons. But additional costs add up and this subscription can be “justified” in my book because of the gas savings for the road trip. Not sure I can justify the added monthly expense for every month. But once a year if I like it is a very nice option to have.

Reactions: rxlawdude
There was obvious snark at the end of that post too, which may have been the target of the thumbs down. It wasn't all neutral facts. Even though the button is shown as "disagree", it's used a lot simply as "dislike". I wouldn't mind it. The profile doesn't show anymore what reactions I gave (at least I can't find it anymore), but I believe I only gave the thumbs down once or twice personally, given I know a lot of people take it as a "dislike".
I hear you, and yes I poked some fun at Knightshade in that post. We are having an ongoing civil but fun conversation about features and resale value. Knightshade didn't get butt hurt and give a thumbs down, he stated his counter points. I may agree and change my mind, or disagree and not change my mind when discussing things with Knightshade... but a thumbs down from someone else is almost white knight behavior... and laughable :) Especially considering the screen name of the member I am debating with :D

Keith

Would FSD add to the resale of a car that has this option? Perhaps not 100% but would at least add value.
If you are ok with that statement let's try this....

Give me $10k and I will give you $3k.

If it retained 70% of its MSRP (its continuously upgradeable) so in a sense it should, then I would not be bummed.

But, it seems that it only adds $3k-$5k to a vehicles resale at most.

I purchased the trial subscription for a road trip this weekend, similar perspective. I do like the traffic light bong and being able to change lanes without the AP process of disabling and re-enabling AP was refreshing. I found the traffic light control function very unfriendly to use in practical situations, might be better with practice, but just found it hard to get right and yielded some unsettling 'responses' (quite possibly bad timing etc on my part).

Overall no way worth the money for me at this pointI sort of begrudge the $200 but also am thankful it's prevented me from spending $10k.

I didn't realize the traffic light bong was part of FSD, that is certainly a nice feature that I like (but no way is it worth $200/month). I also wasn't aware standard AP didn't change lanes automatically when holding the turn signal down. A minor annoyance though, as you mentioned.

Would FSD add to the resale of a car that has this option? Perhaps not 100% but would at least add value.

When I was shopping I found that it added 3-5k to the value. However, that is at the current price of $10k to add it. As time goes on, that price is supposedly going to increase (or maybe the option to purchase it outright disappears entirely). Then it becomes a function of what is the cost of $200/month for the duration of ownership of the vehicle.

Just bought a 21 MY, took
Delivery in June. No FSD. Do I need to have hardware installed, or am I equipped to just download by subscribing?

FWIW- This is exactly what I was hoping for. Summers we drive a lot from MN to northern MN, eastern WI, and MO to visit family. But I would never use FSD on snow covered roads, 8 months of the year, here!

I didn't realize the traffic light bong was part of FSD, that is certainly a nice feature that I like (but no way is it worth $200/month). I also wasn't aware standard AP didn't change lanes automatically when holding the turn signal down. A minor annoyance though, as you mentioned.
I find it a little hard to understand why the bong isn't a standard feature in every HW3 Model 3.

The bong isn't for the driver of that vehicle, but for everyone else on the road.

I can't be the only one sick of people being on their cell phones at a traffic light, and not moving when the light turns green. I don't like honking so I do the inch forward thing hoping that gets their attention.

You bought an expensive luxury vehicle to save on gas money?
I find it a little hard to understand why the bong isn't a standard feature in every HW3 Model 3.

The bong isn't for the driver of that vehicle, but for everyone else on the road.

I can't be the only one sick of people being on their cell phones at a traffic light, and not moving when the light turns green. I don't like honking so I do the inch forward thing hoping that gets their attention.
Probably because it is a premium feature....

Probably because it is a premium feature....

Why does a self-driving car need a bong? It's totally unrelated, and it's some bizarre "we can't do that just yet so how about this crumb"

What would be really neat? To pass the bong!!

If I get behind another Tesla at a stop light and if they're not fast enough at getting a move on then I'd like to pass the bong. Where their car will go "You've been awarded the bong functionality because you failed".

Or just make everyone's life easier, and give every HW3 owner the bong.

Last edited:
Reactions: pkitch
If you are ok with that statement let's try this....

Give me $10k and I will give you $3k.

If it retained 70% of its MSRP (its continuously upgradeable) so in a sense it should, then I would not be bummed.

But, it seems that it only adds $3k-$5k to a vehicles resale at most.

See where this is tricky is, for most of the time it existed, FSD only cost $3000.

Though it required you to have EAP to buy it for that price.

FSD has only been $10,000 for less than 1 year- so not sure it'd be reasonable for historical used car prices to value it at more than the original owner paid for it.

Just bought a 21 MY, took
Delivery in June. No FSD. Do I need to have hardware installed, or am I equipped to just download by subscribing?

Just subscribe.

Anything built 2020 or newer (and most, though not all, built in 2019) have the newer computer from the factory.

Reactions: CKZ21Y
No, that's not the case. If you buy FSD upfront you get free computer upgrades (which likely applies to HW4 also when it comes out). The people who have to shell out $1500 are older buyers with HW2.5 that did not buy the FSD option, but want access to the $200 per month subscription.

If all you want are the features show in FSD Beta, it'll likely be fine with HW3. And even if not, precedent has shown Tesla will retrofit whatever hardware necessary if you spend that $10k.

I had a FSD trial for 3 months and it does stop for traffic lights (you'll also need to confirm for greens for it to drive past them). There's more details here, but you should check your order page, which has the most up to date info on which of the features your car actually includes (I suggest taking screen shots as Tesla may change things).
Autopilot and Full Self-Driving Capability
You should also check out the manual page 99 (for traffic light feature, but other features are also described in other pages):
https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/model_y_owners_manual_north_america_en.pdf
No, that's not the case. If you buy FSD upfront you get free computer upgrades (which likely applies to HW4 also when it comes out). The people who have to shell out $1500 are older buyers with HW2.5 that did not buy the FSD option, but want access to the $200 per month subscription.

If all you want are the features show in FSD Beta, it'll likely be fine with HW3. And even if not, precedent has shown Tesla will retrofit whatever hardware necessary if you spend that $10k.

I had a FSD trial for 3 months and it does stop for traffic lights (you'll also need to confirm for greens for it to drive past them). There's more details here, but you should check your order page, which has the most up to date info on which of the features your car actually includes (I suggest taking screen shots as Tesla may change things).
Autopilot and Full Self-Driving Capability
You should also check out the manual page 99 (for traffic light feature, but other features are also described in other pages):
https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/model_y_owners_manual_north_america_en.pdf
thanks "stopcrazypp" for the clarifications. I'll get hold of the manual, there is a PDF download of it online I'm told. lots of scenarios to consider.

I'm pretty sure when I got my car, 2017x, they told me my hardware is good for fsd if it comes out. I didn't buy fsd.

So I already paid for hardware that should never need to be upgraded. Which I never believed btw bit figured no way they would mislead that way. Now I have to buy again at $1500 the hardware in order to get the fsd subscription?

Isn't it double dipping?

Here's the screenshot of tesla saying all their cars have fsd hardware. There is no Asterisk or anything...

869FE52E-7A58-4FB5-B30C-A93525D120CB.jpeg

Just since it hasn't been mentioned here, yet. The HW3 upgrade is now $1,000.

Those that already paid $1,500 will receive a $500 refund.
That's because Tesla knows it complete BS and they are in the wrong and there could potentially be a class action lawsuit where they lose. So they are trying to soften the blow so people don't do what needs to be done.
Regardless people like @Knightshade will create mental gymnastics to defend them no matter what.

That's because Tesla knows it complete BS and they are in the wrong and there could potentially be a class action lawsuit where they lose.

I see it as Tesla installing HW3 at cost as a gesture of goodwill to early adopters, but you do you.

Honestly, I find it a little bizarre that someone without a Tesla like yourself spends time on this forum fantasizing about lawsuits you wouldn't be a part of.

I see it as Tesla installing HW3 at cost as a gesture of goodwill to early adopters, but you do you.

Honestly, I find it a little bizarre that someone without a Tesla like yourself spends time on this forum fantasizing about lawsuits you wouldn't be a part of.

Exactly.

If this was Tesla acknowledging the "OMG IT SHOULD BE FREE" folks then it'd be.... free.

Bladders post suggesting "we lowered the price from 1500 to 1000 for something that should be free" as a legal defense is... hilariously nonsensical to put it as politely as possible.

Tesla has LONG had a policy of not trying to make a profit on service. This isn't the first time they have adjusted downward the cost of a parts swap in line with that.

Elon Musk in 2013 said:
Our philosophy with respect to service is not to make a profit on service. I think it's terrible to make a profit on service

Reactions: mikes_fsd