Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MASTER THREAD: FSD Subscription Available 16 Jul 2021

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There's 3 groups it makes sense for.

To try it out and see if it's worth 10k to you.

To use it for the occasional road trip once or twice a year.

To have it full time in a car you don't plan to own more than a couple of years.

For anybody who wants the features all the time AND plans to keep the car for 4+ years, buying remains the better choice. Especially if you want the free HW upgrades that come with owning FSD.
Yup.

I was replying to a guy asking why they don't give the first month of the subscription for free...

Since I don't think the ongoing monthly subscription is the prize Tesla is going for, using a free month to entice you to subscribe would not be an effective strategy. They want to get a bit of $$$ from people who will use it a few times a year, and also they want people to try it, fall in love with it, and pay the full $10,000 to keep it rather than paying $200 a month for the rest of their ownership of the car.

Keith

I mean, to be fair you can know what gearcruncher is gonna say without actually reading his posts....
So, you understood that he was making fun of Knightshade, and pretended you didn't understand it was sarcasm? Or you really didn't understand what he was saying... meaning that you don't know what he was saying even though you DID read his post, implying that you don't know what he is going to say without reading his post...

I suspect that what really happened is that because you "already know what his is going to say" you skimmed his post, didn't see what you expected based on your past experience with him, and got confused.

Don't feel bad, I now only skim posts from Knightshade, if they have anything to do with hardware I stop reading, if they are not hardware related I read them again to see what I missed while just skimming.

Keith

For me I’m debating to pay $10k and refund for my road trip from Philly to Greenville, SC in August one-way for free. Or pay $199 so I can have FSD for an entire month and use it for the full round-trip.

$100 each way is about what I’m saving in gas. So now the Tesla isn’t really saving money, but it is still making my road experience a bit more comfortable.
I would do $199 -- its reasonable and you don't have to worry about Tesla taking their sweet time refunding yr $10,000.

as an aside, if the price were $5,000 i'd say try it for a month and if you like it, buy it outright. its only 25 months of payments. is suspect u would keep yr car at least that long.

So, you understood that he was making fun of Knightshade, and pretended you didn't understand it was sarcasm? Or you really didn't understand what he was saying... meaning that you don't know what he was saying even though you DID read his post, implying that you don't know what he is going to say without reading his post...

I suspect that what really happened is that because you "already know what his is going to say" you skimmed his post, didn't see what you expected based on your past experience with him, and got confused.
Or I was inebriated and didn’t really care... but uh... sure I appreciate the deep analsys...

Is it possible to switch computers? Let's say someone has a totalled car with FSD. Could they take out the computer and put it into car that had 2.5 hardware and would it work?
The owner of the totalled car already paid the 10k for it so if they own the hardware in the car, can't they just sell it like people do with other used car parts?
One way to solve the problem would be if people needed to upgrade to the new computer and Tesla said that if they paid $1000 for it, they would be credited with $1000 worth of free subscription. The subscription upgrade doesn't cost Tesla anything and they would still get $1000. If people used up the free $1000 subscription

Not only did nothing in my post assume that- in other threads I've expressed the view they might well need more sensors.

Ironically- exactly the ones you mention- side/forward cameras on the front fenders to have cross traffic visibility ahead of the current B-piliar cams used for that.
That is precisely why I mentioned those. Don’t assume no one is paying attention. 😉
This is assuming facts without evidence. The cameras they use, assuming they can use the same ones are very cheap. Wires are pretty cheap too.

And any new fenders that have mounting for the cameras they'd have to make for all new cars anyway.

So retrofits might well be cheaper than refunding buyers with interest.
I think you are grossly underestimating how much work it takes to make a reliable, automotive quality wiring harness. Installation would require adding new fuses to supply power to the new sensors, locations for reliable grounds, plus the wires back to the computer for the sensor outputs. You aren’t going to end up with a reliable wiring harness by just “tapping into” existing wiring.

Someone installing this harness would have to open up nearly every part of the car. I would be very surprised if Tesla would be willing to take something like this on.

Someone installing this harness would have to open up nearly every part of the car. I would be very surprised if Tesla would be willing to take something like this on.
I've personally seen cars marked as 'do not fix, scrap only' that their only problem was an out of date harness system.

blew my mind, but as I talked to more and more 'car guys' at work, it seems this is a fact. harness cost and labor and how deeply buried it is in the latest cars, changing it out or making major mods is a non-starter.

(its also an argument why reducing harness complexity is a goal they all seek, but its mostly talk; and if we end up with true redundancy, it will actually get 'worse', since 2x as many wires (perhaps) are needed in asil-d circuits).

Reactions: FloridaJohn
It seems highly likely HW4, which was already under development when HW3 was released, will be the same thing.
I am not so sure. During the autonomy day presentation they talked about how they were constrained when designing the HW3 computer because it HAD to be retrofittable. They stated HW4 didn’t have those constraints. Not sure if the guy giving that presentation still works at Tesla though, they have had a lot of turnover and ”re-dos” on their code since then.

• Informative
Reactions: gearchruncher
Folks I bought car with FSD ( not a subscription) bit still today no any features of FSD ( and my software even not FSD). I am new to Tesla and what is this? If it's not ready ( don't put on FULL subscription or sell it) please return money back and if you charged people for features which is not provided this is a PURE FRAUD.

Yep, maybe Tesla still has an intern validating the L5 software for AP1 hardware. Eventually they'll get it working. :p
They use someone to reply and negotiate to demand letters sent to legal and that person has no legal experience, I'm not joking.
Folks I bought car with FSD ( not a subscription) bit still today no any features of FSD ( and my software even not FSD). I am new to Tesla and what is this? If it's not ready ( don't put on FULL subscription or sell it) please return money back and if you charged people for features which is not provided this is a PURE FRAUD.
Sorry you are wrong. Tesla was very clear up front and this is considered to be "IN SPEC". You need to lear this term:)

They use someone to reply and negotiate to demand letters sent to legal and that person has no legal experience, I'm not joking.

Sorry you are wrong. Tesla was very clear up front and this is considered to be "IN SPEC". You need to lear this term:)
Ok explain me what I am wrong? If I paid for FSD in full and it's not working for what I paid for?

So, you have him blocked so you can't see his posts... and you thumbs down every post he makes without reading it?

Keith
Believe it or not, and it pains me to say this, but I have upvoted several of his posts. But yeah, more downvotes than upvotes, and he's clearly shown he's trolling for controversy. It is a very rare few that get muted, and he is numero uno on the ignore list. My TMC visits are much more pleasant now.

Since I don't think the ongoing monthly subscription is the prize Tesla is going for, using a free month to entice you to subscribe would not be an effective strategy.

Tesla may expand the subscription option similar to how other subscription services do e.g., $199/month or $2,199/year or $4,199 for 2 years, etc. That could also prompt a "free trial" offer such as::

Sign up for at least 1 year of FSD and get a free 30 day trial. If you decide not to keep it after 30 days, you can cancel. If you decide to continue, your credit card will be billed accordingly.*

*You may also be charged $1,000 for hardware needed for FSD even if you already paid for hardware needed for FSD when your originally purchased the car.

Reactions: Fourdoor

Are you saying you purchased a car that was supposed to have FSD but none of the FSD features are working? Does FSD show up as one of your software items? If not, perhaps it hasn't been added/activated yet. Contact your store or service center.

OR

Are you saying it has FSD but in your opinion it just isn't as advertised/described i.e., it's a rip-off, scam, etc.?

Ok explain me what I am wrong? If I paid for FSD in full and it's not working for what I paid for?
I found my answer directly from TESLA SERVICE TECH DEPARTMENT. I need service appointment with Mobile service tech and he can config and engage my FSD. I am already pass 1000km and my cameras must be calibrated. Nothing with this is BETA TESTERS. I have integrated full FSD, Premium connectivity and it's MUST works ( probably a bug issue). BETA TESTERS very limited Tesla owners who using absolutely different software available only for them. Don't mix this is guys and public. Clear from Tesla tech- it must works.
Are you saying you purchased a car that was supposed to have FSD but none of the FSD features are working? Does FSD show up as one of your software items? If not, perhaps it hasn't been added/activated yet. Contact your store or service center.

OR

Are you saying it has FSD but in your opinion it just isn't as advertised/described i.e., it's a rip-off, scam, etc.?
Yes you right. I bought my car with full FSD capable and Premium Connectivity ( was granted by Tesla for 1 year). This is showing on a screen. After calibration and 1000 km drive FSD not engaged. I called to Tesla and they tell me book mobile appointment with service tech to resolve this is issue. On this is forum 3 group of people who completely opposite in opinions to each other!!! One says you are stupid, others says you are partially stupid and third says you will rewarded later🤣I just want my FSD feature working -that's all.

That's why there were tons of threads when HW3 was public info about if the same would apply, I was among the group insisting it would and everyone OWNING fsd would get upgraded free, and nobody else would.

I hope I didn't get involved in that pissing match, but it seems self-evident you would be right about this, as well as new hardware in the future.
After all, we all expect improved hardware to improve FSD. Is inferior FSD still FSD ? I'll bet the regulatory authorities will say NO!, and drivers will say the same. It follows then that every FSD system gets deprecated to 'FSD' the moment something better comes along.

I don’t have any legal education and english is not my first language. I’m merely saying that you wrote that Tesla has not promised any time frame and I pointed that 2019 they wrote “
  • Coming later this year:
    • Automatic driving on city streets

And to my understanding it contradicts your “but it doesn't tell you when you will have it.” statement.

BTW, now it says

• Upcoming:
    • Autosteer on city streets”
So from one reason or another Tesla has decided to back off their Coming later this year
promise…
They changed it multiple times. When I was ordering in October 2020 it said upcoming, in 2021 it was changed back to Coming later this year. It still shows that for me under Model 3.

No, I didn't.

If you don’t think Tesla said all cars produced would have hardware capable of fsd, could you translate this from English to whatever language you speak?

“All Tesla vehicles produced in our factory, including Model 3, have the hardware needed for full self-driving capability at a safety level substantially greater than that of a human driver.”