Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MASTER THREAD: FSD Subscription Available 16 Jul 2021

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So our March 2017 build S75D came with AP2, with “EAP” - something that’s not even offered anymore - but no FSD.

Less than a year ago, I had the MCU1 replaced with MCU2.

From what I can tell on the app, if I subscribe to the so-called Full Self-Driving Capability, the only thing I will gain is “Traffic Light and Stop Sign Control.” My car with plain ole EAP already does the other things - NoAP, Auto Lane Change, Autopark, Summon, etc. Paying $99 a month for the car to know what to do at traffic lights doesn’t seem like such a great deal to me.

No, it wouldn't.

The car doesn't have any fuses.

Tesla uses smart MOSFETs to control the 12V circuits.

You might wanna read up on how the vehicle works before discussing further.
I don’t know if you are doing this on purpose to score “internet points” or if you just don’t realize it, but responses like this come off very abrasive.

Of course I am aware that the Model 3 and Y don’t use conventional fuses. I was using the word “fuses” as a generic term for power supply to individual circuits. Something that would be required for any new sensors in the car. If I was trying to score some internet points, I might suggest you read up on how Model S and Model X work, where one thing you might learn is that before the recent redesign those models both used traditional automotive fuses. I’m sure you will agree that the owners of those cars might also like to have this future new system installed into their cars, too. You know, since they, too, bought cars with all the required hardware for FSD.

But since you are aware that the Model 3/Y don’t use traditional automotive fuses, then that would lead you to consider that if Tesla were to retrofit these new sensors into existing cars, then Tesla would need to design a new custom circuit board for these additional “fuse-like” circuits that will need to be added in. And, as you mentioned, Tesla is working to reduce the wiring harnesses in the cars, so future Model 3/Ys with a native HW4 configuration would most likely use a different version of said circuit board to support this future streamlined wiring harness. So we’re talking about a custom board just for the retrofits.

So now we are up to:
New Sensors
New housings for said sensors
New HW4 board
New “fuse” board (see how that works as an effective shorthand?)
New wiring harnesses
And, probably most importantly, the labor required to remove old parts and install new parts. In each car.

Repeat above list, with appropriate changes, for Model S and X. Original versions, “refreshed” versions, and the latest versions just introduced this year.

Now, I’m sure someone could take on this project and do the whole thing themselves. We can watch any car show on TV over the weekend to see that it is possible. But I think it is unlikely that Tesla will take on such a task. As an example, we can look at all of the AP1 customers who were left behind at the introduction of AP2. The retrofit job for those cars wouldn’t be any more difficult than what you propose for the theoretical HW4 retrofit. Tesla punted on that, and there were significantly less AP1 cars on the road then than there are HW2.5 or HW3 cars on the road today.

Says the guy that doesn't own FSD yet posts about it on every related thread! Tell us how you really feel!
I think I've only used the disagree button for factual disagreements, not for how I feel about a post or a difference of opinion. Like I said we need more response types!
I find driving automation fascinating and apparently I like arguing on the internet so this forum is perfect for that. I may need to take another break though because it is getting repetitive.

• Funny
Reactions: mikes_fsd
I don’t know if you are doing this on purpose to score “internet points” or if you just don’t realize it, but responses like this come off very abrasive.

My apologies if I gave offense... this thread has had...perhaps more than its fair number of folks trying to expert when they probably should not. That said, you make some totally fair points, but also some I think you're still significantly overestimating the challenge of--- specifically:

Of course I am aware that the Model 3 and Y don’t use conventional fuses. I was using the word “fuses” as a generic term for power supply to individual circuits. Something that would be required for any new sensors in the car. If I was trying to score some internet points, I might suggest you read up on how Model S and Model X work, where one thing you might learn is that before the recent redesign those models both used traditional automotive fuses. I’m sure you will agree that the owners of those cars might also like to have this future new system installed into their cars, too. You know, since they, too, bought cars with all the required hardware for FSD.

Yup. Retrofits on older S/X would be harder.

But then that's always been the case (for example it took extra work to get HW3 to work properly with the older cameras (different color filters) on HW2 S/X vehicles... (3s and Ys never came with those).

And those cars had a LOT more profit built into them, but sold in relatively low numbers- so I don't think this would be cost prohibitive for Tesla on those.

But since you are aware that the Model 3/Y don’t use traditional automotive fuses, then that would lead you to consider that if Tesla were to retrofit these new sensors into existing cars, then Tesla would need to design a new custom circuit board for these additional “fuse-like” circuits that will need to be added in.

I'm not sure that's entirely accurate.... Tesla has added a number of relatively low-draw 12v items to their cars without needing redesigns of the MOSFET control stuff.... adding a heated steering wheel to the 3/Y for example... or heated radar to the Y.

I don't see why adding a couple of small low-power cameras couldn't be handled similarly.

So now we are up to:
New Sensors
New housings for said sensors
New HW4 board

All of these wouldn't be "needed for retrofits" they'd be needed for all new cars since the new cars would need those same parts.

So there's nothing 'extra' to retrofit old cars here, assuming the sensor housings are going into say, the front fender panels... you just replace the panels with the ones already going into new cars with the housing accommodated (and also the wiring channel handily enough!)--- 100% off the shelf parts from the NEW car parts bins.

New “fuse” board (see how that works as an effective shorthand?)

Again they've added new parts without needing any vast reworks here.... folks have even swapped in the newer, higher-powered, USB-C center consoles to their Teslas without needing to touch this.

Presumably on the MOSFET cars anyway (which are the VAST majority of the cars in question) there's already spare capacity to handle this work.

New wiring harnesses

Well, a little bit.. from the sensors into the existing harness anyway (which already runs to the front fenders for the side-rear-view cams)-- I'd expect they can tap in there-- and given the higher bandwidth connections Tesla has added to the MCU/Driving computer WITHOUT upgrading the rest of the harness, it certainly suggests existing wiring is capable of supplying a lot more to the computers (otherwise why any need to upgrade the computer connects?)

And, probably most importantly, the labor required to remove old parts and install new parts. In each car.

This doesn't seem super high.

Especially if we assume they're ALREADY going to need to put HW4 in these cars free as they did HW3.

So if they're swapping using factory-new parts (same as would go on new cars) I doubt it'd add more than a couple hours to the HW4 retrofit.

Even more reason to only be including free HW upgrades for those who paid full price for FSD eh?

Repeat above list, with appropriate changes, for Model S and X. Original versions, “refreshed” versions, and the latest versions just introduced this year.

Pre-original-refresh versions are irrelevant-- the refresh happened before AP2 so they're not being upgraded to anything. And there's no "pre-refresh" X at all.

Now the post-refresh, Pre-Plaid Model S... THAT might matter, but even then the only thing that might change here is they couldn't use "new" fenders like they could on 3/Y. (or maybe they can- not actually sure).... But again these represent a tiny % of the fleet and were much higher margin cars to absorb some more custom cost.

Now, I’m sure someone could take on this project and do the whole thing themselves. We can watch any car show on TV over the weekend to see that it is possible. But I think it is unlikely that Tesla will take on such a task.

Legally, their only options would be that, or a full refund plus interest to all impacted FSD buyers.

Given it'd largely involve off-the-shelf parts (from new assembly) I'd be surprised if they can't do the retrofits significantly cheaper- but if I'm wrong then refund's it'll be.

(again all this premised on them officially concluding they can't hit L4 FSD without more sensors).

As an example, we can look at all of the AP1 customers who were left behind at the introduction of AP2. The retrofit job for those cars wouldn’t be any more difficult than what you propose for the theoretical HW4 retrofit.

Yes... it would.... Massively so.

There was NO camera wiring anywhere on either side of the entire car, so nothing for just 2 extras to tap into... and absolutely no upgrade capacity on even the driving computer in those vehicles.

Further, FSD did not exist for those cars. There was no substantive part-of-the-sale promise ever made to those folks to provide the kinds of capabilities needing HW2+... not so today with the current FSD buyers (pre march 2019 anyway).

Also relevant- Tesla didn't have Q after Q of profit AND like 17 billion dollars in cash in the bank at the time- indeed until after the Model 3 ramp they were perpetually on the verge of going broke... not so today.

While a funny visualization glitch- you might notice the car does not slow down so it doesn't genuinely believe that's a yellow light as far as driving decisions are concerned.

(otherwise you'd see a "slowing down for traffic control in X feet" message, as well as dropping speed)

So our March 2017 build S75D came with AP2, with “EAP” - something that’s not even offered anymore - but no FSD.

Less than a year ago, I had the MCU1 replaced with MCU2.

From what I can tell on the app, if I subscribe to the so-called Full Self-Driving Capability, the only thing I will gain is “Traffic Light and Stop Sign Control.” My car with plain ole EAP already does the other things - NoAP, Auto Lane Change, Autopark, Summon, etc. Paying $99 a month for the car to know what to do at traffic lights doesn’t seem like such a great deal to me.

It's not.

And yes that's the only post-EAP feature of FSD today.

Note that for everyone who did not buy EAP (which they stopped selling over 2 years ago now), the only way to get all the features you DID get with EAP is... buy FSD.

That said- once city street driving is in wide release (which may be soon, or....well, it's been "coming later this year" since 2019 so....) there'd be a more substantive reason for EAP owners to consider it.

Reactions: rxlawdude
A good "real-world" explanation of FSD, which may help set proper expectations for some folks.
Impressions:

Why the use of Gen 1 Model S exteriors, repeated multiple times?
Why mention GM's Supercruise without mentioning how limited it is (geofenced)?
Why mention $1,500 when the hardware upgrade (and I agree this is still cheesy) is actually $1,000. [No attempt to update that information.]

Other than that, substantially accurate from a factual standpoint. (Clearly this guy's not a Tesla fan. He loves automated vehicles, though.)

Impressions:

Why the use of Gen 1 Model S exteriors, repeated multiple times?
Why mention GM's Supercruise without mentioning how limited it is (geofenced)?
Why mention $1,500 when the hardware upgrade (and I agree this is still cheesy) is actually $1,000. [No attempt to update that information.]

Other than that, substantially accurate from a factual standpoint. (Clearly this guy's not a Tesla fan. He loves automated vehicles, though.)
Yeah, he mentioned it was recorded last week when the $1,500 price was announced. I think the important thing for the general buyer to understand is that FSD is not FSD. I personally don't like that they market it this way, even when I purchased our cars a couple years ago. Tesla makes fantastic cars and most owners love them. I just don't think they have to go over the top and falsely advertise these particular driver assistance features.

Yeah, he mentioned it was recorded last week when the $1,500 price was announced. I think the important thing for the general buyer to understand is that FSD is not FSD. I personally don't like that they market it this way, even when I purchased our cars a couple years ago. Tesla makes fantastic cars and most owners love them. I just don't think they have to go over the top and falsely advertise these particular driver assistance features.
I agree with you overall except for your statement that it's "false advertising." It's more "aspirational advertising." :)

I agree with you overall except for your statement that it's "false advertising." It's more "aspirational advertising." :)
I agree and welcome aspirational goals. I just see so many folks blindly purchase the FSD package for $10k and they often wind up with buyers remorse when it does not meet expectations. Not everyone has an extra $10k to help fund the development of this software.

I think the move to subscription is a good one since folks can try it out and cancel at any time if it is not of any value for them and maybe jump back in a year later if it sounds like real progress is being made. Depending on the take rate, I would not be surprised if Tesla breaks up the features even further. For example, the only feature beyond Standard Autopilot that I would be interested in is NoA to pick up the auto lane change. I am not interested in Summon or AutoPark. So, maybe NoA for charge $25 per month and I can use it when I expect to go on trips or make more use of highways.

Reactions: rxlawdude
Yeah, he mentioned it was recorded last week when the $1,500 price was announced. I think the important thing for the general buyer to understand is that FSD is not FSD.

I can't understand how anybody could NOT understand that unless they are intentionally going out of their way to misunderstand.

Tesla explicitly tells you it's NOT autonomous (and lists the actual features) on the purchase page.

Then tells you that again the cars manual.

Then tells you that again when you go into the menus to activate the features the first time.

Then tells you that every time you turn on the features while driving.

I can get how someone who doesn't actually own a Tesla and hasn't ever heard anything about them except poorly written news stories might not understand what FSD actually is.

But anyone else? Seems like you'd have to be ignoring a half dozen bits of education all put directly in front of your face for that to be so.

I can't understand how anybody could NOT understand that unless they are intentionally going out of their way to misunderstand.

Tesla explicitly tells you it's NOT autonomous (and lists the actual features) on the purchase page.

Then tells you that again the cars manual.

Then tells you that again when you go into the menus to activate the features the first time.

Then tells you that every time you turn on the features while driving.

I can get how someone who doesn't actually own a Tesla and hasn't ever heard anything about them except poorly written news stories might not understand what FSD actually is.

But anyone else? Seems like you'd have to be ignoring a half dozen bits of education all put directly in front of your face for that to be so.
If you are a TesIa fan and enjoy being part of the early adopter phase of this technology and are willing to pay to play then so be it. I am really referring to the non-educated buyer who is new to the brand, falls for the hype of "Full Self Driving", drops $10k and then finds out their car doesn't full self drive and probably never will during their time of ownership.

For me, the subscription model is a good compromise as you can test it out for $200 and decide for yourself. You can also subscribe/unsubscribe based on your driving usage, which is a nice option during a pandemic when many folks are working from home, maybe a job change, or another family member with different driving habits starts using the car. Now that FSD subscription is available, I would expect the take rate of the $10k upfront FSD package to be very low. For folks that can afford a Tesla today, they are probably going to roll into a new Tesla or other brand EV within 4 years, which is the break even point and coincidentally when the bumper to bumper warranty expires. Also factor in that many have not seen any meaningful resale value on the FSD package.

This model puts the pressure back on Tesla and its developers to deliver real value in the FSD software if they want to reap the huge revenue streams associated. I mean if they could get just 500,000 owners to subscribe at $199 per month. A $100M per month recurring revenue stream is pretty healthy and sky it the limit if they can keep producing vehicles. Interesting times for sure.

I am really referring to the non-educated buyer who is new to the brand, falls for the hype of "Full Self Driving", drops $10k and then finds out their car doesn't full self drive

In order for that person to exist they'd have had to spend $10,000 without taking 30 seconds to read the purchase page, which explicitly tells them the car does not drive itself

Actual FSD purchase page said:
The currently enabled features require active driver supervision and do not make the vehicle autonomous

Then they'd have to also not read the entire paragraph that comes up when you enable FSD features in the car that you're supposed to read and click that you understand that ALSO tells you this repeatedly.

Then they'd also have to not read the message that comes on the screen each time you turn it on.

Plus also never have read the owners manual to their car.

If they somehow missed all those multiple ways this was literally put in their face I can't feel too bad for em.

and probably never will during their time of ownership.

Objection, assuming facts not in evidence. (esp when we're discussing brand new owners in 2021)

For me, the subscription model is a good compromise as you can test it out for $200 and decide for yourself.

I think that's absolutely true for folks who have read what the FSD package actually gives you, and wants to see how much value they find in those L2 features.

You can also subscribe/unsubscribe based on your driving usage

Yup I agree with that too.... this also captures 200-400 bucks a year from people who would NEVER buy FSD with current features but might for the occasional road trip.

Now that FSD subscription is available, I would expect the take rate of the $10k upfront FSD package to be very low. For folks that can afford a Tesla today, they are probably going to roll into a new Tesla or other brand EV within 4 years

Average new car ownership in the US is 6 years, FWIW.

And the cheapest Teslas are about the average price of a new car too.

I'm a little confused as to whether my June 2021 M3P is able to accept FSD subscription or does my car need this HW* update in order to subscribe to FSD subscription?

Thanks

Everything made in the last 2+ years has the HW3 computer already

(I should add- in theory- because there's some later-delivered 2019s here and there that apparently sold with the old one in it- but the vast majority of 19s, and all 2020+ have it)

Reactions: Gulfcoaster
I'm a little confused as to whether my June 2021 M3P is able to accept FSD subscription or does my car need this HW* update in order to subscribe to FSD subscription?

Thanks
If you have a car that is later than 2019 you have HW3 already, so you can subscribe with no new hardware. You can find your hardware version in the menu by going to "Software" and "Additional vehicle information" and under "Autopilot Computer" if it says "Full self-driving computer" you have HW3.

software-update-2020-4.jpg