Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MASTER THREAD: FSD Subscription Available 16 Jul 2021

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a new (2 weeks old) Model Y that is on 2021.44.25.2. If I choose to subscribe to FSD (but I don't "push the button" to apply for the "beta FSD") will I remain on 2021.44.25.2? In other words, will the act of subscribing to the generic FSD cause my firmware to change? My understanding is that the "beta" firmware (that requires you to qualify with a high safety score) is a bit behind the most current firmware, and I would like to avoid going backward.

I have a new (2 weeks old) Model Y that is on 2021.44.25.2. If I choose to subscribe to FSD (but I don't "push the button" to apply for the "beta FSD") will I remain on 2021.44.25.2? In other words, will the act of subscribing to the generic FSD cause my firmware to change? My understanding is that the "beta" firmware (that requires you to qualify with a high safety score) is a bit behind the most current firmware, and I would like to avoid going backward.
Beta is now on 2021.44.25.6, so no longer behind the GA code base as of a week ago.

Getting FSD does not enroll you in Beta. You need to manually request Beta and qualify, before you get the Beta software update.

I bought a FSD subscription just to try it out. I think it is garbage. Autopark is so bad that it is embarrassing for Tesla to have released it. The “navigate on autopilot” feature has no value. It is more relaxing for me to identify the lane changes; the computer does a poor job. (I haven’t gotten the beta testing software and don’t care if I do because I am certain it will be useless.)

I do love basic autopilot for freeway driving, especially in stop and go traffic. It’s not perfect, but it is a huge plus.
I've been using regular FSD for year and I agree with you that navigate on autopilot is useless. Then again, that might be because we're both on LA. Using Beta (only once so far) this week made me think about how subjective proper driving is, and how difficult it might be to have autonomous driving that works reasonably well both in a city like LA and just 60 miles south in Orange County. I also think regular AP on the freeway is very valuable.

Reactions: Sporty
Your car, and the app, will let you know when an update is available for your car. At that point you can use a WiFi hotspot to download it.

No.
I'm in the same boat, with the car in a garage and no WiFi. I used to rely on the notification to move my car to the street where it connected to my WiFi. For the last couple of months, I've noticed that it either has not notified me of an update, or would have waited much longer. Every time I've gone a while without an update, connecting to my hotspot resulted in an update notification right away. This was not the case just 2-3 months ago.

Beta is now on 2021.44.25.6, so no longer behind the GA code base as of a week ago.

Getting FSD does not enroll you in Beta. You need to manually request Beta and qualify, before you get the Beta software update.
Got it. So if I subscribe (to try it out) and do not request "Beta", my software version will stay the same and I'll just get the additional functionality unlocked.

What I do on long trips is to rest one hand on the steering wheel and the weight of the hand is enough to keep the torque detection happy.

For me, the worst situation is when it is a complex driving situation and I put my both hands on the wheel and keep all my attention on the surrounding to be ready to intervene and as result not keeping the torque applied so the car decides to yell at me for not paying attention 8-E
Thanks for the helpful tip @apsen ...my Model S is due later this month but, in the interim, I tried your recommendation on my wife's MDX recently and it eliminated the nag message.

Is it possible to still get beta? I want to grab FSD beta for a road trip in a few weeks, any idea if I can subscribe and get the beta version within 7-14 days?

• Funny
Reactions: KArnold
I want to grab FSD beta for a road trip in a few weeks, any idea if I can subscribe and get the beta version within 7-14 days?
There are people that paid the full amount for FSD in 2016 and don't have it. There is no way to guarantee that Tesla will give you what you pay for, they are still in a fairly random distribution to what their algorithm says are "safe" drivers.

I want to grab FSD beta for a road trip in a few weeks
you definitely don't want fsdbeta for a road trip.
It adds no benefit on a highway and in fact reduces the autopilot speed limit from regular 90mph to just 80. The follow distance is also restricted to at least 2.
All in all I uninstall fsdbeta every time I have to take a road trip because it's really ill-suited for that.

you definitely don't want fsdbeta for a road trip.
It adds no benefit on a highway and in fact reduces the autopilot speed limit from regular 90mph to just 80. The follow distance is also restricted to at least 2.
All in all I uninstall fsdbeta every time I have to take a road trip because it's really ill-suited for that.
I used FSD beta to go on a more than 1,000 mi road trip. I had no issues on the expressways since I don't plan to go faster than 80 miles per hour where the speed limit is 65 mph. I despise tailgating so a following limit of two is no problem for me. If your road trip involves a lot of non-expressway roads then I could see a case for getting out of FSD beta.

Reactions: Electroman
I used FSD beta to go on a more than 1,000 mi road trip. I had no issues on the expressways since I don't plan to go faster than 80 miles per hour where the speed limit is 65 mph. I despise tailgating so a following limit of two is no problem for me. If your road trip involves a lot of non-expressway roads then I could see a case for getting out of FSD beta.
Even then with the current state of FSD beta, it will be more stressful driving with it than without.

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
But @verygreen ’s point is it makes no sense to get FSD beta specifically for a road-trip. But OP was confused and just wants NOA / lane change - not FSD beta.

Is it possible to still get beta? I want to grab FSD beta for a road trip in a few weeks, any idea if I can subscribe and get the beta version within 7-14 days?
Do you mean you want to subscribe to “FSD”, so you get NOA for road-trip ?

Well nobody has paid for the limited early release. They paid for the public release that doesn't exist yet.
LOL.

Customer: How do I get this thing?
Tesla: Pay $12K or $200 a month.
Customer: OK, I did that, but I didn't get it.
Tesla: Oh, didn't you notice the disclaimer that it's in beta, just like all of AP since 2016, and we don't owe it to you and can take it back whenever we want? What kind of idiot are you for buying "Full Self Driving Capability" and thinking you'd get the latest software version?
Customer: I want my money back.
Tesla: No refunds.
Customer: What if I once I DO get it and don't like it
Tesla: No refunds
Customer: What if you never, ever ship it?
Tesla: No refunds

Tesla defenders: Remember, Tesla owes you NOTHING for the money you paid them!
Normal humans: You think that's a solid defense? Why the hell would I pay for nothing?

This all sounds like a lottery, not a product.

LOL.

Customer: How do I get this thing?
Tesla: Pay $12K or $200 a month.
Customer: OK, I did that, but I didn't get it.

Up to here you're fine.

After that it's pretty far off the rails of reality, so I've corrected it for you:

The rest goes:

Tesla: No, you got the thing you paid for. In fact all the available features are shown, in writing, on the purchase page. You got all of those.

Customer: But I didn't get the thing in youtube videos.

Tesla: Nor were you ever, in any way, promised to. You got literally what you paid for. I can send you a picture of it in writing if you're still confused.

Customer; YOU EXPECT PEOPLE TO READ WHAT THEY ARE ACTUALLY BUYING?! THAT IS CRAZY TALK!

Tesla: Nor were you ever, in any way, promised to. You got literally what you paid for. I can send you a picture of it in writing if you're still confused.

Tesla, 2019, 2020, 2021, on the "Full Self Driving Capability" checkout page: "Coming This Year: Autosteer on city streets:"

Tesla never promised anything, and you got literally what you paid for?

Even ignoring that, the fact that you have to read between the lines as a customer is unacceptable. Tesla has made very sure that the world is aware FSD "early access" exists. Your argument basically is that if you buy "Full Self Driving Capability" that all Tesla ever "promised" is City Streets Autosteer, which decidedly is NOT FSD.

Are you actually arguing that if you buy "FSD" today for $12K, it would be fine if Tesla eventually says that if you want more than what is listed on the checkout page today, you might need to pay more and more in the future?

Like I said: "There is no way to guarantee that Tesla will give you what you pay for" - Because it's never clear with Tesla what you are actually paying for, and I find it hilarious that the Tesla supporters think it's 100% OK that people paying for "FSD" today have zero rights to any software that looks like the FSD "early access" because all that was promised was city streets autosteer.

Plus, remember how I said there are people from 2016 that don't have what they paid for? Are you seriously going to argue that in 2016 what you got for you money was clear? That the Paint It Black video was not part of the product description at the time?

Last edited: